Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Opeler
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought a 74 Manta, Father/Son project, mostly Son project as I am still deep in working on my GT, ongoing project that keeps getting interrupted by life. Son really doesn't want to work on the GT because he doesn't really want to wait to "ask" if it's ok to do something if I'm not around. He has joined the site and you may see him lurking around and asking questions on how to do something. Per the tag, it hasn't been on the road since 1988. Edit: Found rust appears to be fixable and none appear to be catastrophic
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Opeler
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
interior - is currently being pulled out. Trying to save what we can, but ........ Some rust through in the floor pans, along a small section of the body stiffener (not where the front suspension attaches but further back), and the left side rear qtr panel and door sill. Nothing that appears deadly to the amateur restorer, engine bay, I'll have to post pictures later. Going to put marvel mystery oil in the cylinders, change the motor oil, drain the gas, it has something in the gas tank - what - afraid to find out.
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Tread

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
1,006 Posts
Best wishes for a productive/fun - Son/Father Manta project - it appears that you and you son have a bit of work ahead of you. So What's is the plan - full restoration or enough for a daily driver. I must confess that I have not seen a Manta, in person, well I am really not sure but I don't believe that I have seen one since the early 80's. I grew up in a small town in NC and while I did see two GT's, in that little town, before I purchased mine, seeing those other two led to my love of an Opel GT, I don't recall knowing anyone driving a Manta. however one of my best friends had an Opel station wagon and years later traded that in for a Toyota Subra. We were both driving Opel's beginning in July of 1972, just after graduation from High School. Anyway - yes life does get in the way and most likely will get in the way regarding your son's Manta restoration as well. So sometimes you just have to put a tarp over, or park it in the garage, and just walk away for a while. My longest departure was about 15 years after I had it mostly restored - divorce, job loss, Children in college, and the list is different for everyone but the list of reasons goes go on and on. Bottom line, like me, just never give into the temptation to sell it - just keep plugging away. In 1977 when I really needed a new car and the GT was so worn out that it was not dependable and was virtually worthless, and with the help of my Mother and her down payment, I got my new 1970 Opel GT, well two years old, and paid her back in 9 months and was able to hold on to the Opel too- The Opel really was not worth enough to sell or trade in and it gave me a lot of satisfaction to know that no matter the fact that I had to crawl into that 1977 Honda Civic every day for the next 7 years without AC, with out FM radio, with out any of the modern conveniences of the time and the fact that I considered he Honda Civic a worthless cracker box - I still had the Opel as totally worn out and undrivable as it was. Moral of the story is never give up and be willing to take as long as it takes - sometimes it turnes out to be well worth the weight. My Grandfather always would stop to look at a that model T because that was his car as a very young adult and he always said," I wish I had never sold that car - so for me not selling the Opel seemed like the right thing to do and I am so glad that I did not sell it. Anyway, again, good luck to you and your son with both of your projects. I look forward to following your progress. Lots of pictures please. Best Regards, Carl
Beginning Project 1994:- 2000

Vehicle cover Tire Wheel Hood Vehicle

NOW

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Opeler
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There does appears to be rust where the suspension attaches, this was just chipping away with a stick
Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Bumper

. We are still working and taking stock. Local community college has a months long 2 day a week intro to welding. Going to sign James and me up for it so hopefully we can handle anything that comes our way. Going to end up putting time in to get it looking good and running right.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Sometimes a car starts to lean toward the driver side as the spring weakens. Instead of replacing the springs sometimes owners just clamp coils on the passenger side to level it out. A real cheesy bandaid.

·
Opeler
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sometimes a car starts to lean toward the driver side as the spring weakens. Instead of replacing the springs sometimes owners just clamp coils on the passenger side to level it out. A real cheesy bandaid.
It’s on the drivers side. May have been a replacement spring that is different from the other side. Who knows. Probably find all sorts of head scratchers as we go along.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,476 Posts
Yeah, the first thing I do with any new Opel is undo all the previous owner mods. I've seen some doozies, like the brake booster plugged into the valve cover. My 3-cars-ago Red Baron car leaned down badly on the passenger side. Weakened leaf spring? Bad bushings? Missing or misinstalled parts? It was while pursuing all this that I discovered that the whole right side front fender/frame rail/headlight area had been chopped off another car and inaccurately welded on. The frame rail on the passenger side had been welded on slightly angled upwards, this caused the car to be almost 2" lower on the right side. I tried all sorts of shimming of the suspension to fix it, but this then caused the left rear of the car to sit to low. The problem of the angled up too high frame rail and associated body panels was too monumentally difficult for me or a shop to fix and that's when that car became a rolling parts car while I searched for a car more worthy of restoration. Knowing that the car wasn't long for this world gave me the freedom to do all sorts of wacky mods and experiments to it for fun. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bought a 74 Manta, Father/Son project, mostly Son project as I am still deep in working on my GT, ongoing project that keeps getting interrupted by life. Son really doesn't want to work on the GT because he doesn't really want to wait to "ask" if it's ok to do something if I'm not around. He has joined the site and you may see him lurking around and asking questions on how to do something. Per the tag, it hasn't been on the road since 1988. Edit: Found rust appears to be fixable and none appear to be catastrophic View attachment 445121
I have a bunch of parts from a Manta I stripped out. Let me know what you need and we can figure out a fair price.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That sounds like a good trick. My uncle is looking at this Opel with a suspension issue. We'll just finish installing the bumper and winch from 4 Wheelonline onto the Silverado before we can clear the garage and take her in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts