Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have a question about oil pressure. I have a GT with 86000 miles on an original motor. When I start my car, my oil pressure gauge reads 2 at idle. after I drive it around a bit and it gets warmed up it will drop to 0 or 1 and the yellow light comes. If I give it gas the needle goes to 2 or maybe a little more but will then go back down to 1. Will a new oil pump cover correct this or will a more costly solution be required. Any ideas as to what causes this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
before you buy a new cover you might want to take your pump cover off and have the aluminium pump cover surfaced at the local machine shop, or put very fine sand paper over glass and sand it smooth. this will probably take care of your problem, its very common among us. if thats not it, another likely possability is the little springloaded valve in the cover not seating well anymore.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I am going down that road right now. before you take your cover to somebody, you could try an old machinists trick. Take sand paper and lay it flat on something that is perfectly flat itself. Sand down until you remove the grooves, then go to a 600 or so grit to get it perfectly smooth. I just did this to a cover and it looks like new. Keep rotating the part as you sand to get even pressure. I also ordered a very nice used pump from unlimited. It looks perfect and only cost 40 bucks. He also supplied an undersized pump gasket to help with any wear in the replacement timing cover. Gasket was another 11 bucks. Another good deal from Todd.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Just some interesting trivia on this subject. While digging through some NOS bags I found an oil pump gasket. The bag had been folded so the gasket I knew was junk. I dumped it out and there were 2 in there, both with german writing on the gasket material. What is interesting is they are different thicknesses. One is .010 and the other is .015. Makes me think that they knew they had a possible problem and were sending out a somewhat fix.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
my 2 cents

I think for $34 ogts sells a new cover and a gasket...plus INSTRUCTIONS!

That is what i bought..there is spring and ball in the cover that is a factor.

when you "jack" with the oil pump..be sure you prime thru the right hole...mine is a square nut. remove this nut ..prime thru there

1)pull your coil wire and crank engine after you do repair
2)check pressure.
3)check for leaks..there is no room for dirt or old gasket material..
there is no tolerance for slop...it wil leak oil

4) dont fire engine up w/o prime..you will burn it up.

i went to 20-50 grade vs 10-40 oil...the type for 75,000 mile plus engines...my pressure used to be below 1 when hot..now it is above 2..I did both at the same time..i dont know which gets

credit.

chech the search..i have photos posted of my mistakes

:)

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I just thought it was interesting that Adam Opel in germany were putting out two different thicknesses of oil pump gaskets. It made me wonder if anyone has had any experience with this issue. Now looking at the two I wonder what is stock?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts