Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight's internet search topic: How to put a Suzuki drive-train in an Opel?

My seach was spurred by a listing on e-bay for a Metro engine block for $25. While this is not all that significant in and of itself, the part that drew my attention was the fine print at the bottom that said the packaged block only weighed, get this, 32#. A little more research revealed that even the 1.6L in the Tracker weighs in at less than 220# complete, and is available in a RWD 2WD configuration with an overdrive 5-speed manual trans. And the real kicker is that there was a car model with DOHC on a 1.3L that turned out just over 100hp, and that head will bolt right onto the larger 1.6 block for 130hp or so without breaking a sweat. Suzuki also made all the engine to transmission bolt patterns the same, so thee is a lot of motor flexibility.

I'm thinking my funky 1.1 Kadett with an all aluminum 1.0L 3-cylinder coupled to an overdrive 5-speed, making roughly 65hp and actually weighing LESS than the 1.1 car did origionally. I did a little looking, and the whole drivetain can be purchased with a warrenty for less than $700.

What do you guys think? nothing quite like a 50+ mpg 1600# commuter Kadett.....

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
sounds cool, but, can it beat it's way outta a wet paper bag?:D :D

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
3 Cylinder

Stephen - I bought a brand new 3-cylinder Chevy Sprint in 87. I kept the oil changed, head retorqued, valves adjusted, timing belt fresh and shifted it constantly to keep it in the torque curve. That car put to shame alot of 4 cylinders I've driven. It had amazing power for what it was. It finally gave up the ghost at 325,000 miles. I was amazed. The worst part of the car was a very sophisticated, electronically controlled (and very expensive) carburetor. And the front wheel bearings were a weak spot. Anyway...for one model year, a turbo-charged, intercooled, fuel injected model of this car was offered in the US. In all seriousness....it was one of the fastest cars I've ever driven. I still have the shop manuals so I could look....but I seem to recall it was around 90 HP in a car that weighed nearly nothing. I've seen them in junk yards twice and have always kicked myself for not buying one when I had the chance. They are extremely rare today. They were a bonafide pocket rocket and got 50 mpg to boot!!! These cars lived on a few years longer in Canada as the Pontiac Firefly and a few made it here as a Suzuki Forsa. They still have a following in Canada. You might want to check out the following web site: http://home.flash.net/~lorint/lorin/

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
If you want, I have a 1995 Geo Metro/Suzuki Swift 3cyl 1.0l for sale. Just 90k miles on it and has been off the road over a year now. Will need some brakes and a starter. Plus the alternator bracing needs to be adjusted a tiny bit.

You can take the whole thing home for less that $700

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
Ohh, and you get a nice Aiwa MP3 Deck unit with it and a set of 4 really nice Panasonic speakers.

·
Opeler
48 Posts
Sounds like a good econimical alternative to a lot of swaps I've seen. Cheap, good mileage, and won't screw your suspension all up. My uncle put several Toyota and Mazda motors in everything from a 37 Chevy coupe to a 71 El Camino and several old Ford P/U's. They didn't win races, but ran great and didn't break down on the road. I like it!!!

·
333 Posts
Those Suzuki 1.3L motors can be made pretty quick. I have seen a HP Suzuki Swift do pretty well at the runoffs....and he is doing it on a shoe string budget.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry off subject....

I bought a Sprint for 1$ drove from Chicago to Minneapolis, had some issues on the way there and took it to a mechanic so I could get back to Chicago and he laughed at me saying this car shouldn't have made here. Anyway changed the oil drove back to Chicago, About 5miles from my dorm at school I was frustrated from six hours of the transmission buzz, bordom and started to down shift like a mad man at the toll boths to see if I could drop the tranny to no avail. Car lasted 10,000 more miles. My little 3banger sprint story.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
we used to have a 88 3 cyl 5 speed sprint, back in the early 90's with over 200,000 on it already, put a new clutch in it and our friend of the family is still driving it around, with just normal maintenance plus a radiator, 2 starters and an alternator. clock is over 350,000 miles, and still goin at it, getting to be one rusty little piece tho, the door skins flop in the wind...haha

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
Mileage

My Sprint was one of the best cars I ever owned!! At 325,000 miles it was still going strong but I had to let it go cuz the keyway on the crank pulley went bad. I welded it 3 times but after it broke the third time...I decided it didn't owe me anything so I let it rest in peace. If anyone knows of a turbo version for sale...let me know!!!

·
Opeler
28 Posts
If you're set on a Suzuki engine, I have one word for you:

Hayabusa :)

Okay, so it's not quite as cost or maintenance conscious as the sprint engines. I read on another forum that engine+gearbox weigh in at less than 200 lbs. Not bad for 175 HP. And there's even a decent selection of parts to adapt them to automotive use; reversing boxes, etc. I think there's a Super-7 clone that uses the Hayabusa engine. Just a thought.

-StephenM

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
stephen i think the Hayabusa is a bit low on torque for a car like the gt its not so bad in a 7 @ 800 lb but the gt would be up around 2000 lb

·
Registered
4 Posts
I drive an 89 subaru justy 1200 cc 3 cyl 40+ mpg...book says 86 hp.....88K and climbing...had rubber band transmission(overgrown snowmobile equipment) I broke that and put in 5 spd.
Aside from not enjoying hills generally a good driver...

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On my way!

So this evening I made the first step; I puchased the entire engine/ computer/ wiring/ fuel system fom a good running '92 Metro for $200. As soon as I get a tranny and get the clutch woked out I'll be in business. I'll keep updating progress if anyone is interested.

You guys should see the sport coupe this power plant is going in. It is hands down the nicest Kadett body I've ever seen in person, and I've owned 12 or so of them myself. As gas prices climb again I can hardly wait for >40mpg.

I guess if I keep this thread going, Mr. Wilford's going to have to mege it with the one with the pictues of the Kadett...

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Stephen, any more progress on this? I think it's time to get that baby on the road with these gas prices! :banghead:

Todd

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
time and distance

The drivetrain, a Metro engine/Samurai transmission, is actually together and ready to go, but I haven't pulled the motor out of the Kadett yet because the origional still is running. Figured it's better to have a complete car at this point than another work in progress, especially with it living at my folk's place 1200 miles away. I have since the inital start of this thread also aquired another 1.1 Kadett, which is less rare and probably better suited to this kind of molestation than the coupe.

That said, I am also in the midst of building a Locost 7, which is a Lotus Super 7 replica, and the initial drivetrain is slated to be the Geo-Suzuki one. I'm hoping to use it as my engine mule, mostly because of the light weight and ease of fitting pretty much anything in there. If all goes well, I'll get the kinks worked out of the Geo drivetrain, then the turbo 2.2 Opel project, then it'll test-bed the Opel 1.1L I'm overhauling, then it'll get whatever is going to be in there long-term. This should allow me to get these projects lined-up to be able to knock them down a little quicker, and without having the actual cars here in SC until they are basicly ready to go for space considerations.

·
Non Civilian
2,090 Posts
i have a GT I plan on dropping the Geo Metro 1.0 into. Do you have pics and a list of what needs to be gotten and done to performe this swap?

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
Can't wait to see pictures.. with Gas the way it is.. I am go ahead and do a 1.3L DOHC / Samuari swap or something similar instead of the KA24DE.

The Mantisaan would in turn become the Manzuki ;)

Charles

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
GoinManta said:
Can't wait to see pictures.. with Gas the way it is.. I am go ahead and do a 1.3L DOHC / Samuari swap or something similar instead of the KA24DE.

The Mantisaan would in turn become the Manzuki ;)

Charles
Why not use a pontiac drivetrain....then you could have a.......wait for it.......

Maniac:lmao:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts