Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious how much torque should be applied to lug nuts. Is it specific to a particular vehicle?

Thanks,

Manny

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
gtzero said:
I was just curious how much torque should be applied to lug nuts. Is it specific to a particular vehicle?

Thanks,

Manny
its specific to each vehicle but in general its around 70 lb/ft for conical nuts and 100 lb/ft for a flat head nut

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Baz, Manny, I just checked my Clymer's to be on the safe/correct side and the recommended torque for steel wheels with the conical acorn nuts is 65 ft. lbs of torque. Baz is correct that on aluminum wheels with the flat washers the recommended torque is 100 ft.lbs. The reason for the higher torque is the aluminum will compress and not rebound like a steel wheel will. Heady stuff here. :rolleyes:

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it sounds like it's more specific to a wheel/nuts combo than to a particular car. Say for instance you buy after market wheels and after market lug nuts (like me), then the stock specs for the GT wouldn't be correct, right?

Manny

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Yep, that's about it Manny. If you have seen the wheels on my Willit? GT, they are the slotted aluminum mag style. I've got them torqued to 100 ft. lbs., had them that way since I got them and haven't had a problem. I guess the Opel folks and other manufactureres figured out people would be changing the wheels eventually so the wheel studs are capable of accepting more torque without stretching and eventually breaking, for the most part. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts