Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Vendor
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm chiming in to pass along some news to the Opel Community regarding Tom Cavataio, in case some of you have been trying to contact him. Some of you may have noticed he's gone missing as of late (I was planning to find him by the weekend). Well, he called me this evening to say he's having some health issues. He had to undergo back surgery just within the last few days (which apparently went well), and while the back is now hopefully fixed, there are some other issues that will likely involve further surgeries in the coming days. He sounded good on the phone, and hopefully he'll be on the mend soon. Tom has a lot of friends here in the Opel community. Please keep him in your thoughts as he works his way through this latest road bump. I'll try to update everyone as I hear more.
Best to all,
Todd Kirby

648 Posts
I met Tom a few years back when him and a friend came through
New Orleans with the Hot Rod magazine power tour. He insisted on coming to see my GT after I got off work late, even though it was over an hour's drive away from where they were staying downtown.

Had a great visit with him and felt I had known him forever. He's that type guy. Thanks for keeping us informed, Todd.

Best wishes for a quick recovery, Tom!

James

· Super Moderator
15,246 Posts
Tell Tom good luck from me. Hopefully he's in good working order for Carlisle, wouldn't be the same without him.

Bob

· Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Very best and heartfelt wishes to you, Tom!

Met Tom on-line a LONG time ago and he helped source some "period correct" fog lights for my '69 Kadett LS from his personal stash a couple of years ago. STILL grateful to him for the help. That's the kind of guy he is.

Met him in person at the Route 66 Mother Road Fest in Springfield last Fall. Long and short of it is, ALL THE BEST to you, Tom!

· 1000 Post Club
4,128 Posts
Tell him he is in our prays out here. Good luck and we want to see him soon

· Registered
6,344 Posts
I'll echo all the prayers and good wishes. Met Tom on the Classic Opel Chat Room, but not in person, yet. Followed the things he's done with others Opel through the years. His actions parallel my thoughts, It doesn't hurt to help someone. Get Better, Sooner, Tom

· OPEL-LESS!!!
2,111 Posts
i would like to ditto on what everyone has said. i've met tom at the gages home last summer, tom is a great guy. my thoughts are with tom, home you get feeling better soon.

· Kick a little asphalt
1,485 Posts
Please let Tom know we're thinking of him too. Tom is one of the best people I have met through my involvement with Opel's. He's a genuine person and I always enjoy seeing him and talking to him. I too hope to see him at Carlisle. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery Tom!!!

Duane, Lynn, Shelby & Erin

· Opel Addicts
2,479 Posts
I just spoke with Tom a few minutes ago. His surgery has been postponed until Monday morning. He is in good spirits and knows about this thread and appreciates everyone's wishes and prayers.

Vickie

587 Posts
Feeling Better....Thanks everyone

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the nice words & prayers. I hope to be back home recovering before next weekend. My brother left me his laptop for the weekend to use. Now I can stay up to date in the Opel community.

I just got my pain meds & thought I'd check out what I've missed over the last 2 weeks. Tomorrow (this morning actually) should be a relaxing day before Mondays surgery. I spent most of Fri & Sat having more tests run. My back is feeling much better. I just need to get some abdominal/intestinal issues taken care of on Monday.

I think most of us know you need a good back to be able to drive or even get in/out of an Opel GT. The new seats will definitely be in the GT for the drive to Carlisle.

Thanks again for all the posts & I hope to be back driving the Opel in a month or so.

~Tom

· Banned
3,910 Posts
Tom, with a great mind and spirit the body stuff falls into place. I know you have the mind and spirit so the rest will surely work out. Glad to see ya back

· 1000 Post Club
4,128 Posts
Group Rate

Tom/Rick

Between all three of us, we should get a group rate at a hospital to get all of our backs fixed :p

With our luck the largest thing we will be able to lift is a lug nut and that will be a group effort :D.

All kidding aside, good luck and we all want you to have a speedy recovery.

Jeff

587 Posts
Hello everyone,

I'm feeling alot better today. Unfortunately due to increased internal inflamation, they weren't able to do the complete surgery that was scheduled for Monday. So just a small procedure was done.

I should be discharged sometime Wednesday. Then I get to go back for the rest of the surgery in about 6 weeks. That cuts it close to recovering in time for the Carlisle event. So, as long as I'm feeling well enough, I'll be there.

~Tom

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.