Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after 4 months, things have pretty much settled down from the move and the family is accepting the slower pace of life (no Sunday shopping!). It is about time now to get back to my engine rebuild.
I went out today to price a water pump at CarQuest Parts and they had two listed. One "rebuilt" at $69 and a "brand new one" at $131. I recall reading a thread from this site stating that the Opel water pump can't be rebuilt? Anyways, I thought the latter price was kind of high and decided to check the Opel GT Source site. I see Gil has new ones listed for $59 American which I will check out to see what the final cost will be with shipping.
The most interesting part of the visit was when I indicated that I needed the water pump for an Opel GT. One of the salesclerks perked up and new of the Opel GT and asked a bunch of questions. Hasn't heard of one in this "neck of the woods" for a long time, except for the dragster the Armstong brothers (from Annapolis valley) used to have. He then left and came back with several pics of a GT being rebuilt in St. John, New Brunswick with a V6 engine. Looks like a pretty good job being done on the car. Apparently the guy works in the autoparts warehouse.
Is there anyone registered on this site from New Brunswick? I left the salesclerk my email address and the address to this site so hopefully if the person is not yet registered, we will get a newbie.
Must take off and do some Xmas wrapping. Best of the Holidays to everyone.

·
Opeler
44 Posts
Is that the same Allyn Armstong from Nova Scotia you currently holds the NHRA National Record in Comp L/A, racing a full body 72 GT 4 cylinder that quallified number 1 at every National and Divisional meet in 2005 that he went to even after lowering his index of 2/10. Not bad for " this neck of the woods"?
Dwight

·
Super Moderator
5,601 Posts
Good to hear from you John. How goes the new job? I suspect that you are fitting right in, what with your almost "neck of the woods" accent":D

Hey, we missed you for the "Opels Across America and Canada" session this fall. Well, without you here, it simply didn't happen. As you may have heard, Kat sold her last Opel (the GT) after she decided to move from Oregon to Ohio last month. She is keeping in touch, and plans on getting another GT as soon as possible.

John Warga still has his GT, and if he ever gets his crank stroked, he would have it on the road in no time. But he has been slower with the engine than I have been with my body work.

Did you ever meet Hagan at my place? I think he came over for a different OAA&C. If so, they now have three kids. If not, well, they still have three kids, but you won't care.

Hey, we have another Opeler in Calgary! Trevor, with a quite nice Fireglow Orange GT who lives just a few minutes away. But he has fallen into the Opel trap of listening to my ideas of "working" on it, and now, alas, it isn't on the road.:eek:

Here is a photo to remind you where you should visit when your sister calls...

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
John, Halifax is a nice city... I miss it. I lived there for 20 years before I moved out to Vancouver Island 6 years ago. With some luck I will be posted back there this coming summer. I have a 71 GT I bought a few months ago and just love it. The last time I saw one was about 25 years ago in Halifax and fell in love with the GT. I bought this one from a lady from Victoria and the car spent it entire life here on Vancouver Island and is in really good shape.
So far I have replaced the front wiring harness back to the firewall. Added relays for the headlights and Otto start. those things along made a big difference. As you probably seen in my other post pleading for help I am having ground issues right now. http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8460
You and your family have a Maritime Merry Christmas. Felix

·
Opeler
64 Posts
Hi John welcome east and Merry Christmas
I was visiting in Ottawa last year and I linked up with Graham
He indicated that your were heading back east but was'nt sure when
I had the oppertunity to go for a spin and grab a cup of Java
Graham sujjested that I drop you a line and link up the next time in Halifax area.
if you send me a pm I will follow up
Being from the rock we don't see too many GT's out here
Merry Christmas
Jeff

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Jeff;
Sorry for the late response, but just returned from Cape Breton for the holidays. Not a lick of snow!
I believe when you visited Ottawa I was down east looking for a home. I remember getting Grahams phone msg when I returned, which was too late.
Let me know if you are coming to Halifax in the new year and we can get together for some coffee and chat Opels.
Here's all the best in the new year to fellow Opelers and may one of our resolutions be to get one or all of our Opel projects completed this year!

·
Opeler
64 Posts
One more reason to visit Halifax.
I had the good fortune to meet up with graham while in Ottawa and even got a run in his GT!
had to get him to slow down on the highway though, heavey foot that guy
PM your new Address and Phone numbers and I'll take you up on the Cofee!
I should be passing through in the next couple of weeks
Look forward to our coffee in the new year!
Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts