Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"I can't help you with the problem but I see you are from South Dakota. I live in SF."

Our forum recently lost a great contributer in Rallye Bob, in part because of postings such as the above one. This one was recently posted in response to a question from another member regarding a door problem. It does nothing to answer the question that was asked and serves no real purpose at all. This type of response to a question drives me crazy! As a member of a number of Opel forums I see this type of posting on a regular basis.
We all need to be more aware of what we are writing when responding to another members request for help. We are NOT helping by posting something akin to the above post. If you have nothing to contribute them please don't. There if nothing wrong with being silent (as I normaly am) if you can't help answer the question. I really enjoy LEARNING from people like RB and others so that my Opels can benefit from their knowledge and experience. I am sure the above person meant well but when the bulk of the responses are similar in nature, what have we learned? It only serves to frustrate people (like RB) and we eventually lose a valuable resource because of it. Lets all make a more conscientious effort to share our knowledge so that we can all gain from it and not be turned off to this great site!

·
Code Goober
243 Posts
Like you, Jeff, I don't do a whole lot of posting (mostly because I usually don't have anything constructive to add), but I've got to disagree with you about that example above. Part of being a member of a community is being social. The above poster saw that a fellow Opeler lived in his home state, and was trying to be friendly. We all share a love of cars that stopped being imported into this country some three decades ago, and as the years go by they get more scarce - so do their owners. I think that in the interest of keeping Opels alive and well in N.A., we should strive to build as much of a cohesive community as we are able (i.e. "Why can't we all just get along?" :D ). I must admit that this feeling is mostly governed by self interest, I can't see being able take care of my opels without the help of others.

·
Opeler
12 Posts
Well shucks

I made the post. Gosh, I was only trying to get in touch with Opel owners in South Dakota. Thought it would be nice to swap stories and ideas on a human basis rather than an impersonal board. I apologize for the inconvenience of my trying to reach out and meet other Opel owners. We in Midwest aren't afforded that many opportunities to meet others with Opels. Rust is a cars worst enemy and most of them are in junk yards.

On a side note, there is no way you are going to keep this purely Opel related. With over 1200 members people will have other interests and your post is a good way of alienating new members. I am a part of other forums in which I have not been criticized for asking about members in my area.

Your post has not offended me. You can't. I have no empathy for RallyBob leaving the board. I don't know him and I see that sort of thing happen on other boards all the time. Remember this is JUST a message board not real life. I too, got caught up in the whole board is my life thing but then realized that hey I should be outside working on my Xterra, Harley or Opel. I think that is what RallyBob realized. I understand the man was a good source of information. We can still email him right.

I do appreciate all the helpful answers I have already gotten and I hope to have the same help in the future. So anyway, back to my lurking and not posting nor finding people in my area.

See ya on the flip side.

Edit for grammar police. There are possibly more mistakes. Do not tell me about them. I am not in school and this is not a grammar test.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do need to correct myself regarding the post that I had commented about. I did not realize at the time that when you posted that you lived in "SF" I assumed "San Francisco", not Souix Falls. Your post makes more sense to me now. When your post is viewed from the "San Francisco" angle it does qppear senseless.
I too, have contacted members on this forum, and others, that I have found to be in my area (Wisconsin). I have always done it off-list so as not to bore others reading the postings on a given subject. When we lose people like Rallye Bob we lose a vast warehouse of knowledge that in some ways can never be dupicated. I have a rather large folder of RB's postings that I use as a reference for working on my Opels. Once that source is gone it is a loss to our whole Opel community.
Therefore I do hereby offer you my apologies if I offended you. That was not my intent. And now knowing where you live things do make a lot more sense. (Maybe I should drink my coffee before reading my emails!:)

·
Opeler
12 Posts
No worries. All is good. I have PM'ed Jeff. The Opel community is one again. :D

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let me do some organizing and I will post a folder of info to the website. Most of it is Manta related vs. GT as the Manta, at least for me, takes precedence over the GT. A lot of the engine stuff can go both ways.
Jeff
PS: as a very secure man I am always open to hugs! :p -Just watch where you put your hands tho!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts