Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Without going into a great long question. Has anyone put a seat in the back area of the GT.

I have two boys that want to ride in the GT at the same time but only have one seat. I was thinking of putting a boaster seat in the back area and get some aftermarket seatbelts to tie it down.

Has anybody done this yet? If so how did they do it?

Before the moderators get on me for not searching the form I found this but it did not say it was done??

http://opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686&page=1&pp=15&highlight=back+seat+GT

·
312 Posts
Fairness

Hey Rick-
FWIW- I too have two small boys... and for same reason (fairness) explored fitting booster(s) in rear. I gave up… (lesson to my boys- "Life isn't supposed to be fair"). There's an inexpensive ($30wlmrt) one piece Graco* bucket/back type booster- slim and narrow… two fit nicely side by side w/rear interior boards, trays & cross beams removed. I was "that" close when aborting idea.

*I DO think ONE of those seats would fit in the middle of an unmodified interior; secured with a lap belt bolted thru body... using booster seat harness to tie in a boy! No comfort or leg room... but I doubt he'd really care! You'll have only side mirror rear vision. Easy undo.

I gave up 'cause it's a short term solution. Looking forward, boys eat and grow. Booster harness was good to 35lbs(?)... then it's time for real lap and shoulder belts back there... & what an expensive PIA that could be to do safely and aesthetically right! So, in my house, nobody travels in back. I put in speakers there instead! "I" really enjoy them... (gotta keep reinforcing that lesson about fairness!) ;)
-Dan

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,406 Posts
What about one fo the fold down jumpseats as found in extended cab pick-up trucks?

Charles

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GoinManta said:
What about one fo the fold down jumpseats as found in extended cab pick-up trucks?

Charles
That was one of the ideas in the tread I read (and posted above) but I was wondering if anyone had done it or am I plowing new ground.

The main thing I think is just mounting seat belts in the back and that would do it.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,406 Posts
I think that maybe your second best option..

A thin foam (Think stadium seat cushions) on the bottom and a piece of plywood covered the same way that is removeable for covering the spare tire area. With some seatbelts..

Or the best option... Buy a Manta, they have a trunk and a back seat... ;)

Charles

·
boomerang opeler
5,618 Posts
rick just 1 thought as you live in the land of litigation

to change the car from 2 seat to 4 seat would you not have to submit 3 cars so changed for crash testing before you can use them on the road :eek:

all the photos you see of gts with rear seats are done for cosmetic reasons
you do not have the room to carry kids back there and if some bozo ran in the back of you could you live with yourself if anything happened to them :(
i know its a space that almost asks to be made into seats but theres not the room for legs and things back there

id go with charles's idea and try it out on the wife with the safety plea :D

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Yeah, laws have changed. Big time. I can remember riding in the back with my sister and my Mom and Dad were in the front. I was about 6 or 7 and my sister was 10.

Hell, I remember one time my mom picking me up from school one day and I asked her if she could take two of my fronds home and they piled in the back.

...... And we were all 15 years old at the time :eek:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thom,
Thats what I was thinking of but the more I think about it I think I may be going the wrong way (thanks Baz). I will just have to just drive them one at a time and not use the GT to take them both to school :(.

Ya well it was an idea (nothing was cut up) so no foul!!

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
VW Karman Ghia, when i was 13 years old, i coudlnt keep my shoulders off the roof, i find it hard to believe anything would be worse than that.

·
boomerang opeler
5,618 Posts
the jag xjs i have is technically a 4 seater but you need 2 amputees in the back to carry 4 people if they are all adults(2 kids would need there legs up on the seats ) :D . the 2+2 concept is a waste of time to me its neither fish nor fowl ,its not a 2 seater which has better lines or a 4 seater which is practical its an evil marketing exercise designed to get use to buy a car we cant use so we have to buy another one for carrying the family :D

i shall now go lie down and have a dried frog pill bursar

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Special Cars!

The Opel GT was made with the seating arrangements as they are for a reason:
Room for you; the love of your life and minimal luggage! (Just room for: a fifth of Bourbon; a six-pack of condoms and a spare pair of knickers .......)
Isn't that why we love them. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts