Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
OpelGirl
Joined
·
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so into this. i have my little list to take with me to the auto parts store.

air cleaner
alternator belt
pertronix ignitor and coil
spark plugs and wires
fuel filter
battery and ends
oil filter
oil
water pump
liquid wrench
brake parts cleaner


sure i'll think of more. I am into fixing the headlights right now, baby steps but thrilling for me who has never worked on a car on my own before.

I took out the cotter pin on the actuator cable, could move it a little, so i got some oil on it and worked it back and forth about 2 inches. went to the console and the lever still didn't move so i poured some oil on it and went back to the front and worked on the cable some more.

Tried moving the buckets while the cable was unhooked and the driver's side moves a little and the passenger a little less.

went back to the lever and stuck the cover down over it, all whilt holding the instrument panel out of the way with one hand and got the lever to move all the way!! back and forth. Got it lined back up and put the cotter pin back in.

So now i'm going to spray the hell out of all the parts i can see from above and below with some wd40 and go from there. It was so exciting!! I did it, by myself, dave was inside watching the race. I would have kept going but the car isn't in the garage yet and it got dark :(
 

·
Senior Contributor
Joined
·
874 Posts
Good for you!! It is exciting when you make a little progress.

For the battery ends, it may be easier to just get the battery cables, so you may want to figure out the length before you go, just in case. I would also get a can of spray foam engine cleaner. I tend to use it a lot and it works ok.

I picked up one of those gallon can size 'carb cleaner' things. It is just a gallon paint can filled with parts cleaner, but it comes with a little steel strainer that fits inside. Pretty much ever little nut or bolt I pull out goes in the can for an hour. Then I use one of those little nylon or brash brushes to clean it up good prior to putting it back into its proper place. I think they sell the little brushes in a pack of 3 for pretty cheap. The carb cleaner is a little pricier at maybe $13-17.

Good luck!
 

·
Opel Addicts
Joined
·
2,454 Posts
Kim,

Good for you! Keep up the good work. One suggestion get rid of the WD40 and get some PB Blaster..great for breaking loose all the rusted stuff.

Have fun! That is what these Opels are all about.

Vickie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Good luck at the auto parts store! (your gonna need it). When i first got my opel i went to the local advance auto parts and ask for a oil filter, spark plugs, and points. They said what is an opel and who makes it! They proceeded to sell me the wrong oil filter, wrong spark plugs, and the wrong points. I have had better luck at the local NAPA store, as they have people working there who have more knowledge about the stuff they are selling. John.
 

·
1971 Opel GT
Joined
·
380 Posts
it seems to me that PB blaster was specifically made for those suffering from opelitis... kinda like brown paper bags for acholics. doesn't cure the addiction, just makes it easier to live with.

hehe.

its great stuff. i suggest none other, and pb all the way. glad to hear you're having success with the headlamps. a note tho: they lock into place, and it requires a bit of momentum to 1, get them to lock, 2, get them to unlock. i don't recommend wackin the pin on the headlight assembly where the cable connects to 'encourage them' but maybe a good peice of twine or something , with the cable free, and you can work the headlights over w/out having to depend on the cable. once you get the headlights 'up' you can take the cans off, and remove all the bolts to get them to come out. then the mechanics behind them. thats what you need to get out/cleaned up to get em to act real good.

EDIT : you're trying to pick up a water pump for a gt at a local parts shop? *blinks* i don't know if you can do that... heh. i haven't had to *tahnks god* but getting parts for GTs from parts stores is an act of frustration w/ gts. hell. autozone only had 3 more of the damn spark plugs left when i was doing my tune up and said "sorry, we can't get more." lol. spark plugs! agh!
 

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
Joined
·
2,116 Posts
add a cap and rotor to your list and i'd say your set for a little while. just tell the parts store that the cap and rotor are for a 71 VW beetle with a 1600 dual port engine, and all the sudden they have it, i promise. changing the fluids in the rear diff and trans would be a good idea before getting it on the road too.

check previous posts, and just ask for a oil filter giving them a part number with a brand, tell them opel, and most likely you'll get the ever so common dumbfounded looked. opel cross-references to some sort of nissan, but i cannot remember which.

you'll probably have to go to a VW shop or order the pertronix unit. its the 1847V ignitor you're looking for.
 

·
OpelGirl
Joined
·
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay, so it's okay to put a little pressure on the buckets when trying to get them to rollover? i'm afraid to push to hard and break something.

I have scratched wd40 off my list and put pb blaster.

I looked at autozone online and they let you pick your car and they do show a waterpump but it's special order so will see. I am going to try Arnold's Auto Part's first. they are good old guys, been around forever and will probably be better, but i got ticked at them a few weeks ago. i went in to get a sparkplug for the new chinese 4 wheeler we bought colt, i told the guy(young guy, not one of the regulars) that i needed one of these, it's for a 4 wheeler and all he did was type in the number to the computer, told me he had to order them out of salt lake city and it would take 3 weeks.

I'm no pro but i know that typing in the number off a chinese sparkplug is gonna get you that result and he could have just spent a bit more effort and found me one, felt like i WAS at autozone and that left a bad taste in my mouth. So i'm going to give arnold's a shot first and then if it goes badly head to autozone with my list of part numbers i have printed.

the only sparkplugs they showed were bosch irridiums at 12 something a pop, yikes....and then a different one for 6.59 each, still yikes and after some searching a Denso for 1.77 so i may be ordering some stuff online.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,344 Posts
The headlight rotating mechansims use the rotating mass to lock the headlight in the open or closed positions. So it does take some force to get them out of the locked position. Once they are unlocked, they will rotate, usually freely, but it will take some speed to get them spun fast enuff to engage the overcenter mechanism and lock. You'd have to have the rotating mechanisms out and watch how they work to understand all this technical stuff, but once you've seen them work, it's real easy to figure out. You can really give the headlight lever a strong shove or pull, and it won't hurt anything, unless the 3 bolts on the spring plates are loose. Then problems start and it's usually because of those 3 bolts being loose or sheared, or the spring plates get broken. A lot to digest, but with the drawings, I believe you've already got, it should be no problem. HTH.
 

·
1971 Opel GT
Joined
·
380 Posts
hmmm. at autozone if you go to them and say "OPEL." just "OPEL." not buick, gm whatever, they have to look in some sort of 'other' menu to find it. same with AdvanceAuto. Advance has trouble with year identification, and i recommend having them look under '71 regardless of the year of yours. most of the hardware stayed the same anyways, from what i understand.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
1,182 Posts
I bought my water pump at autozone. Took 2 days to get. Fit OK, but the gasket was folded over. Broke it while trying to straighten and ended up making one out of a piece of gasket material. Good luck.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,294 Posts
Get PB Blaster instead!

kndlindsey said:
I am so into this. i have my little list to take with me to the auto parts store.

air cleaner
alternator belt
pertronix ignitor and coil
spark plugs and wires
fuel filter
battery and ends
oil filter
oil
water pump
liquid wrench
brake parts cleaner


sure i'll think of more. I am into fixing . . . the car isn't in the garage yet and it got dark :(
FAR BETTER product: PB Blaster . . . spray can !!! :yup:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,294 Posts
Pertronix 1847V

greensmurf20 said:
add a cap and rotor to your list and i'd say your set for a little while. just tell the parts store that the cap and rotor are for a 71 VW beetle with a 1600 dual port engine, and all the sudden they have it, i promise. changing the fluids in the rear diff and trans would be a good idea before getting it on the road too.

check previous posts, and just ask for a oil filter giving them a part number with a brand, tell them opel, and most likely you'll get the ever so common dumbfounded looked. opel cross-references to some sort of nissan, but i cannot remember which.

you'll probably have to go to a VW shop or order the pertronix unit. its the 1847V ignitor you're looking for.
Get it at Bugstuff . . . call toll free at 800-752-2847.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,294 Posts
CIH waterpumps

Dmcbrass said:
I bought my water pump at autozone. Took 2 days to get. Fit OK, but the gasket was folded over. Broke it while trying to straighten and ended up making one out of a piece of gasket material. Good luck.
Same CIH waterpump: 1968 - 1974; 1975 is clutch fan type (different, integrated pulley/clutch hub) used with FI (only year in US).
 

·
Old Opeler
Joined
·
5,564 Posts
Standard plugs are Best

kndlindsey said:
i got ticked at them a few weeks ago. i went in to get a sparkplug for the new chinese 4 wheeler we bought colt, i told the guy(young guy, not one of the regulars) that i needed one of these, it's for a 4 wheeler and all he did was type in the number to the computer, told me he had to order them out of salt lake city and it would take 3 weeks.

the only sparkplugs they showed were bosch irridiums at 12 something a pop, yikes....and then a different one for 6.59 each, still yikes and after some searching a Denso for 1.77 so i may be ordering some stuff online.
The expensive platinum or iridium plugs are just too expensive for GTs just use standard ones and ask for them by their part number - never say "Opel"
Here are the plug numbers. Bosch or NGK are both good to go.

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/48094-post3.html

PS: I always ask for the 'old parts Guy' - he knows the old numbers off by heart and can usually tell the 'young parts Guys' what the equivalent part is - now they just say: "He's here again .. Get the Old Parts Guy!" :D
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,294 Posts
Bosch W7BC (7597) 'Super' plugs

GTJIM said:
The expensive platinum or iridium plugs are just too expensive for GTs just use standard ones and ask for them by their part number - never say "Opel"
Here are the plug numbers. Bosch or NGK are both good to go.

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/48094-post3.html

PS: I always ask for the 'old parts Guy' - he knows the old numbers off by heart and can usually tell the 'young parts Guys' what the equivalent part is - now they just say: "He's here again .. Get the Old Parts Guy!" :D
I use the W7BC (7597) Bosch 'Super' plugs (copper electrode, non resistor), available next day at NAPA (99¢), in all my CIH engines with the following mod for improved 'flame front' (old Smokey Yunick trick from the '50s): :yup:

 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
1,957 Posts
I called autozone and they said that they could get 3 different brand water pumps for 1.9's within 24 hours.
Duralast $37
Master $67
Reman valucraft $38 with a $5 core deposit

has anyone ever used these brands or are they like crap, crappier, and crappiest? or is there some quality behind them?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,294 Posts
jordan said:
I called autozone and they said that they could get 3 different brand water pumps for 1.9's within 24 hours.
Duralast $37
Master $67
Reman valucraft $38 with a $5 core deposit

has anyone ever used these brands or are they like crap, crappier, and crappiest? or is there some quality behind them?
Have had good luck with Duralast (their brand) stuff. Most important!! thing to remember about water pumps is NOT to tighten the belt too tightly!
 

·
Living in the past
Joined
·
2,262 Posts
Making a list

You also need to make sure the anti-freeze you use has a water pump lubricant in it, if not put some in with the water and anti-freeze. Use distilled water instead of tap water after flushing your radiator (no minerals).
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
1,957 Posts
How much play should the belt have? I think that is what killed my water pump, when I got it inspected the guy tightened the belt like crazy becuase he said it was way too loose I took his word for it..my mistake
 

·
Living in the past
Joined
·
2,262 Posts
belt tension

You should be able to push down on the belt between the water pump pulley and the alt, and move it 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top