Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys being the bargin hunter I am I found a CDI unit on eBay for $50 + shipping! It was supposedly used in a shop on a distributor test bench and never installed in a Car. I'm sure it will work just fine, however when I got it today I couldn't beleive how large it is!!! Sucker is 6" L 4" H 4" wide BIG, like the GM AirCompressor it looks like it should be under the hood of a Dodge 440. I guess with new electronics technology I can see even these are smaller now days! Here's a couple of pics.

I'm presently running the compufire electronic converstion and a Bosh Blue coil so this will hopefully play well together.

Attachments

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Keraaaaack!

Did you notice that the device draws a maximun of 15 AMPS! No wonder it has such a large heat sink. It must put out sparks like a Mid-West thunder storm. :eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mallory CDI

I used one of those for a few years on a 59 Studebaker and still have it. If it breaks Mallory doesn't know anything about it. It is so old, I was told, that no one there has any idea how it works. It puts out a spake that is like a blue ribbon. Wide and blue. The original ignition I was using made a faint yellow pin of a spark. This unit is awesome. I did, however, use a matching coil made by Mallory for CDI's. A MALLORY VOLTMASTER MARK II number 29150. If you don't want to use it let me know as I would like to have a spare in good condition.

https://plus.google.com/photos/116673105435250958898/albums/5797488768172838449?banner=pwa

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Well guys being the bargin hunter I am I found a CDI unit on eBay for $50 + shipping! It was supposedly used in a shop on a distributor test bench and never installed in a Car. I'm sure it will work just fine, however when I got it today I couldn't beleive how large it is!!! Sucker is 6" L 4" H 4" wide BIG, like the GM AirCompressor it looks like it should be under the hood of a Dodge 440. I guess with new electronics technology I can see even these are smaller now days! Here's a couple of pics.

I'm presently running the compufire electronic converstion and a Bosh Blue coil so this will hopefully play well together.
Will any bosch blue coil work on Opel GT?

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Naah the center electrode along with insulator is still intact.
Just a bad camera angle.

You'll run into this problem when certain conditions are met.
i.e.
spark timing high
High gear ~45 mph
slight load (small incline)
lean mixtures

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.