Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Opel Key Master
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a one owner car 1974 Manta, and I noticed that the VIN on the pillar differed from the Data plate on the frame rail by the first number of the actual serial number. I thought that it could be an easy enough mistake all these years, say the factory just got the number wrong. Well, then I looked today at some other tags, and they are the same way? , so I dug up info on a third from 1975, and the same thing...one number off.
So example VIN tag on the A pillar. OL77ND 9143333
obviously the data tag doesn't have the first letter designations, but model number start of 57814333

The number changed is off by one digit. I guess as long as you have a VIN plate and the body stamped number matches, you are good, but if you had to get inspected, and the data plate was the only thing to go by, you might have some problems. Can others verify this difference with other 50 series cars. Is this old news?

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,042 Posts
After I figured out what digit change you were meaning, I checked my '75 1900 and my '72 Manta. Neither shows any difference in the 7 digit chassis number between A-pillar vs frame tag. In years past (many years past) I can never recall any chassis tag v's A-pillar SN differences like you have, and I have had a bunch of 50 series chassis'.

In you cited example, it is almost like the '8' did not get properly embossed on the A-pillar tag....????

·
Super Moderator
13,168 Posts
I have two model 50’s with one VIN off by a single digit.

I’m guessing they were Monday-built cars, the result of a drunken weekend...

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
3,902 Posts
Until August 1974, all Opel VIN numbers were 9 digits:

01 - 02: Model code
03 - 09: Sequential body number (7 digits)

From August 74 (until 1982) they were 10 digits:

01 - 02: Model code
03: Manufacturing Year
04: Assembly Plant
05 - 10: Sequential body number (6 digits)

Maybe that only adds to the confusion, but that's what it is.

Dieter

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I thought it was a fluke, but three vins off by one digit on three cars.... no way. The number seems to be one digit off from the pillar vin plate
Could it be that the guy who was to advance the number screwed up a few times during manufacturing runs? Maybe he was sick and nobody did his job in his absence.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,042 Posts
I'd not be surprised if these plates were put on a different points in the assembly process..... easy to get out of sequence. But Since my '75 1900 matches up, it is certainly not consistent. OP, were all 3 of your examples on Mantas?

·
Registered
763 Posts
My 74 Manta has this difference. The Manufacturer's Information Plate is on the frame rail and that number represents the chassis number. The ones on the A-pillar and driver's door are the VIN. That place with the difference is the Plant Code. So maybe the frame was built in one plant and the car assembled in Antwerp (9). My car was made in 8/73. The number on my registration shows the number with the 9 which is correct.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,042 Posts
My 74 Manta has this difference. The Manufacturer's Information Plate is on the frame rail and that number represents the chassis number. The ones on the A-pillar and driver's door are the VIN. That place with the difference is the Plant Code. So maybe the frame was built in one plant and the car assembled in Antwerp (9). My car was made in 8/73. The number on my registration shows the number with the 9 which is correct.
That thinking sure makes a lot of sense! Does everyone's A-pillar number and door tag have a '9' in the 7th digit from the right? Hmmm... my '75 does not.... it is a '5', which per the '75 Supplement is Antwerp, but per the '74 manual, a '9' indicates Antwerp, which is what is on my '72 Manta.

So what is plant #8? I see a post in another site for '80 and later VIN's that there were 2 Antwerp plants.....??? Do you know where your Opel is from? [Archive] - Performance Nova Group - PNG

·
Opeler
1,129 Posts
My number on the cowl is a 9. the sticker on the door is an 8. I have a 1974. Keith, where are the numbers that you are looking at?

Karl

·
Super Moderator
13,168 Posts
I have the number on the cowl, the number on the door sticker. What exactly is the A-pillar?

Karl
Driver’s side A-pillar. Just a few inches above the dashboard. Small riveted black vinyl-covered tag.

There is also a stamped body number on the passenger side rear-most flange of the hood opening. Not far from the heater box. It’s part of the sheetmetal (not a tag), and painted over the same color as the body.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,042 Posts
I have the number on the cowl, the number on the door sticker. What exactly is the A-pillar?

Karl
The roof supports on either side of the windshield are the A-pillars. Should be a VIN tag riveted on the driver's side A-pillar, facing outwards so it can be read through the windshield.

(B-pillars are the roof supports between the doors on each side for a 4-door car, and the C-pillars are the thick rear roof supports at the back of the roof. I suppose station wagons have D-pillars (?)......LOL)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts