Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.opelmanta.com/product_detail.asp?product_Id=3159

Cost will be $85 a set (includes S&H to all US customers), I will be limited to 12 sets on the first run. So if you own a Manta/Ascona and need a new Battery Box, and/or firewall patch kit (Its all one kit). You need to get this.

More info on the development of the kit is here:

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3829

I developed it out of a need I saw we all have, and the fact the European parts did not cover the firewall and were too expensive.

If they sell well, I will start to work on reproducing the Floorboard/Jackpoint area at a cost everyone can afford as well.

Let me know what you think.. and if you want to order with a check send payment to:

Charles Goin
13000 Ashtree Road
Midlothian, VA 23114

I expect to sell out of the first run almost as quick as I make it. If I get a lot of orders I can make a second run at the same time. But right now can only afford to produce one run.

Charles

Attachments

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
Weld 'em up!!!

Looks like this weekend is out of the question...but perhaps one night next week I will begin welding mine in place and posting photos as I go.

·
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am really really surprised.

Admittedly all the work to design this I did so I could have the design for my Manta.

But considering that most Mantas/Asconas should need it, and many told me the reason they didn't buy the European one was the costs, I figured at least 10 or so sales. So spending more time to develop the extra pieces to cover other areas of rust (I didn't have) and making it a great kit for everyone I thought was prudent.

So after about 30 hours developing the kit, and the fact I cut the cost from $190 to $85 and included the fender, rail and firewall patches that weren't with the original battery box. I have made them available, and have one order.

So, the question is why is there only one order? Something I am missing? Is there something everyone is not saying about the design that I can change?

To mass produce I have to invest a bit of money and more time to pay for the full size sheetmetal, and the forming. I can't do that with one order. Also it isn't very encouraging in regards to making the floorboard/jackpoint patch either. But I will probably do that anyway since I need it for my Manta.

This also puts serious doubt into wiether I can afford do the 74-75 Front Manta rubber and side vent louvers.

Anyway, just wondering if it is the kit itself, timing, etc?

·
Super Moderator
13,842 Posts
IMHO,
Charles, from my personal point of view, my reasoning for not ordering any kits is that I do not wish to 'patch' any of my cars, but rather to cut outthe afflicted areas and completely repair the areas. In other words, a piece that is smaller than OEM that fits over/within the rusted area to me is a stopgag, and still does not necessarily mean that all the rust is gone....just covered up.

But hey, you know me, I just gotta be different!

Bob

·
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahh.. that is what is missing from people seeing. Due to the thickness, and the design I have it so it can be both. The Battery box in particluar is shaped to fit where the original was in size. I did prototype both one that would sit in, and one that would be a replacement, the differences were less than a 1/8" in most places and the box, and fender patchs could be fitted in either way. So if you pull out the ledges you can weld in place of the old box and the difference would get welded in the corners. The one from Germany is similar, but much much shorter on the sides. So if you have extensive rust it missed areas.

The firewall patch is meant to fix an area that doesnt neccessarily rust but cracks and gets weak. I made this to be able to either be trimmed and used to fit in the area, OR (as in the pictures) to be placed over it and welded in such a way that it will be a reinforcment patch. I figure all those replacing the battery box, should install this patch wiether or not damage has occurred. Also the hardest part of doing that piece was getting the hole pattern correct and lined up with the firewall. So I am sure if you trimmed off the flanges, it could be used as a replacement rather than a patch panel.

Also as for the Fender and Rail Mend they are ment for a car where that area is gone. They will sit in the void, and have enough metal to go up to weld to good metal.

Scotts car when welded up will be using these as replacement panels, not repair panels like I plan on using them so we will ahve a good comparision of the sifferent technique styles.

But I have to say the Fender and Rail patch are for novices like me looking to fix a rusted area on a sunday driver. You wouldn't need them because they are almost all hand formed and I assume you could hand form from a sheet of flat metal the Statue of David which most of us can't. These are patterns made to be easy to quickly form and weld in place for someone with minimal experience.

Charles

·
Super Moderator
13,842 Posts
Charles, that being said I will be ordering two kits from you. I don't really need the fender repair section, I can hand-make a section that will retain all the proper curves and the all-important battery tray drain channel. But only one of my cars is that far gone that it needs that section anyhow. I'll be mailing you a check tomorrow....

Bob

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
I would have ordered one by now, but I have three things going bad for me....

1) I live in NY State
2) Currently unemployed
3) I live in NY State

1 - 7 of 7 Posts