Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to post this so I am leaving this here. I believe the stock body colored gas cap should have the "handle" in a horizontal / level orientation when closed. However, on my car the handle is at an angle. Looking at the FSM it shows a picture of the filler neck attachment to the fender. Mine appears to look identical so I do not understand why the cap would not sit correctly. The cap is from an Opel and was purchased from Opels Unlimited. Any ideas? It doesn't effect operation of the car but it bugs me to no end.

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
Mine looks the same. The notches in the filler for the cap are in line with the mounting holes. When the cap is on, it is level with the car and is between the two screws on each side. Does your cap not get to level or go past level when you tighten it? The stops are tabs just before the notches so you insert the cap and turn clockwise until the ears on the cap hit the stops. So check that area out for wear or missing lock tabs.

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
The ears on the cap are perpendicular to the handle on my cap. That's the other variable. I noticed the ears are not firmly attached and could possibly spin if someone tried to turn the cap after the ears had hit the stop tabs.

·
Administrator
9,988 Posts
I'm thinking, either you are not turning it far enough, or too far.
How does it look if you close it (as usual)?

Dieter
I'm with Dieter. The cap on my wagon locked into place (horizontal) when i gave it an extra turn.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The filler neck is now detached as my tank is out for cleaning / lining. What I can say is that when replacing the cap and rotating it clockwise, it stops rotating with the "handle" a bit past vertical -points to 1:00 and 7:00. I would need a wrench to tighten it more. I am wondering if the filler neck was not installed on the fender properly such that there is too much resistance or there's an issue with the stops...

·
Registered
795 Posts
My pictures aren't clear but you can test it while off the car as shown. Holding the filler with the hose pointing down, the handle should end up between the two mounting holes. So, do the ears on the cap hit the stop tabs in the filler and if yes then are the ears on the cap perpendicular to the handle?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I _might_ have found the problem. Is the gas cap supposed to have a large rubber washer /gasket? Mine does and when I removed it the gas cap turned and clicked into place at in the correct orientation.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The stops are perpendicular to the handle. I tried putting some grease on the rubber but it made no difference. Impossible to turn it completely to locked position. I'm thinking the gasket is too thick. Maybe its not original.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
problem solved

So the prize goes to OGTS. The reason the cap was so hard to turn to full lock was because years of having the gas pump nozzle banging on and resting on the filler neck guide had bent it down. The lower guide and stop needed to be bent to their original position.

·
Opeler
844 Posts
So the prize goes to OGTS. The reason the cap was so hard to turn to full lock was because years of having the gas pump nozzle banging on and resting on the filler neck guide had bent it down. The lower guide and stop needed to be bent to their original position.
So a banging nozzle can be hard on your neck. I wouldn't know about that, but it's good that someone did.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Often after the tabs got bent by a gas pump nozzle the cap won't properly seal anymore.
Then, in a sharp left turn gas comes gushing out and leaves ugly traces on the paint.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts