Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
10,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Search friendly post copied from another thread.

I have done solid metal mountings, as well as urethane mountings here. Chevy pickup truck leaf spring bushings work great! Just shorten them up a bit, and the bushing ID fits perfectly. It also uses 9/16" sleeves, which work fine with the 14 mm Opel bolt, or you can upgrade to a new 9/16" bolt.

Replace both Manta/Ascona rubber rear suspension mount bushings with polyurethane bushings for 1/4 the cost of one rubber replacement bushing. All that is needed is to shorten them up a bit as Bob mentioned above.

Item: Energy Suspension Rear Frame Shackle Eye Bushings - 1 1/2 inch Eye. Part no. 3.2124.

Available Here for $14.99 for a set of two.

·
Super Moderator
9,808 Posts

Replace both Manta/Ascona rubber rear suspension mount bushings with polyurethane bushings for 1/4 the cost of one rubber replacement bushing. All that is needed is to shorten them up a bit as Bob mentioned above.

Item: Energy Suspension Rear Frame Shackle Eye Bushings - 1 1/2 inch Eye. Part no. 3.2124.

Gary;
I did this when I rebuilt the front end on my 75 Sportwagon, along with RallyBob's gusset kit, and Gil's poly bushing kit (now on sale for Christmas) and the results are amazing.

·
Administrator
10,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gary;
I did this when I rebuilt the front end on my 75 Sportwagon, along with RallyBob's gusset kit, and Gil's poly bushing kit (now on sale for Christmas) and the results are amazing.
Tough decision... An upgrade for $14.99 or ~$120 for stock replacements? What to do, what to do...

·
Administrator
10,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Installed them today. Just cut 10mm off the bushing's small diameter and trim the inner sleeve.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm curious where the copied and quoted @RallyBob post came from.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm curious what the gold parts are that are bolted to the radius arm.
Wood Motor vehicle Gas Machine Paint

Also, it was great to find this thread. I've looked for two days before hitting on the right words to make this appear. I've ordered the bushings from Amazon, I'll update with the address if they turn out to be the correct ones.

·
Super Moderator
14,562 Posts
I'm curious what the gold parts are that are bolted to the radius arm.
View attachment 441312

Also, it was great to find this thread. I've looked for two days before hitting on the right words to make this appear. I've ordered the bushings from Amazon, I'll update with the address if they turn out to be the correct ones.
Custom lower a-arm links. Gary’s wagon has a 3.0 liter 24-valve straight six cylinder in it. The oil pan interferes with the factory sway bar.

This deletes the sway bar but locates the lower control arm so it doesn’t collapse rearward.
Bicycle part Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle fork Bicycle part Bicycle tire

·
Super Moderator
14,562 Posts
Nice setup. Where can one find info on this? Very neat and clean, saves on some bushings too. Thanks.
There’s no write up if that’s what you mean.

Gary came to my shop (this was probsbly 7-8 years ago), I whipped up a little fabrication work and a few parts so he could finish his 6-cylinder installation. These are the only pics I know of.

If you go this route and delete the front sway bar, you’ll either need to add a sway bar elsewhere or substantially stiffen the spring rates as Gary did.

Reactions: soybean

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
How did he stiffen the springs? Really love this set up. It eliminates so much crap, and looks to make it a lot easier to work on. And whole lot more pleasing visually. Would this work on a Gt and would it be worth the time if you've already rebuilt the front end? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
14,562 Posts
How did he stiffen the springs?
Just swapped in some different springs. I’m
not sure what actual rate he has in there. Stock is 135 lbs. He’s probably running at least 300 lbs with that heavy engine.

Would this work on a Gt and would it be worth the time if you've already rebuilt the front end? Thanks.
It’s pretty much the same concept as the aftermarket zugstrebe bars sold in Germany. On a GT you could do the same thing, but you’d have to perfectly align the mounting point with the lower control arm inner pivots or it would bind up pretty bad.

Reactions: soybean

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
That's a whole lot easier than fooling with the stock A arm links. Better product for the "over 50 crowd" Seriously Y'all had a better design, it looks awesome.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts