Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Opeler
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dear forum members,

I have a 1983 opel manta B 1800S and I am now converting it to manual gearbox. there was 2 kind of manta that was sold back then here in Israel. one was 1300cc with manual gearbox and the second is 1800cc with autobox. the flywheel of the 1300cc engine won't fit to the 1800cc engine (I already tried :banghead:). so what I need from you guys:
1. what's the GM part number of the flywheel?
2. does anybody know if the Ascona or the Omega/Carlton flywheel will fit?
3. If anybody know someone or somewhere I can order this flywheel from it will be very nice.

cheers,
Elad.

·
Super Moderator
5,290 Posts
CIH engines or is one OHV?

dear forum members,

I have a 1983 opel manta B 1800S and I am now converting it to manual gearbox. there was 2 kind of manta that was sold back then here in Israel. one was 1300cc with manual gearbox and the second is 1800cc with autobox. the flywheel of the 1300cc engine won't fit to the 1800cc engine (I already tried :banghead:). so what I need from you guys:
3. If anybody know someone or somewhere I can order this flywheel from it will be very nice.

cheers,
Elad.
First question, are both 1300 and 1800 engines CIH type? or is 1300 engine OHV type (pushrods) like our 1.0/1.1 engines from '64 - '71? Flywheels are completely different between the CIH and OHV engines.

·
Super Moderator
13,225 Posts
First question, are both 1300 and 1800 engines CIH type? or is 1300 engine OHV type (pushrods) like our 1.0/1.1 engines from '64 - '71? Flywheels are completely different between the CIH and OHV engines.
Otto, I'm not sure about the 1.3, but the 1.8 is an OHC engine, virtually the same as the Pontiac Sunbird 1.8 we got in the US. The only CIH in the later Manta's was the 2.0.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
5,290 Posts
1.8 Sohc . . .

Yeah, I forgot about that one . . . 1.8 SOHC . . . Opel on the brain!

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
dear forum members,

cheers,
Elad.
The 1300 engine if I recall is an OHV (as fitted to the Kadett D) whereas the 1800 is SOHC.

I personally wouldn't source the parts needed through GM, I'd go straight down the route of sourcing a scrap Omega A / Carlton B (available 82-86) and take the full flywheel / gearbox assembly from that.

If you're completely stuck and need some help, I can source the necessary quite easily.:)

·
OPEL PARTS GREECE
206 Posts
dear forum members,

cheers,
Elad.
Your cpl flywheel for your 1.8L is the 6 16 096 (90199710) and cover engines18N/S & C18NV till 14159465

From 14159466......... the part is 6 16 107 (90233792)

The most popular flywheel is the 6 16 096 and is available in new stock at our 4 warehouses.

In case that you will not find it to your country send me e-mail for more details at:
[email protected]

·
More Opels than sense
25 Posts
Otto / Bob - the 1300 engine in the Manta was OHC, a smaller version of the 1800. The B-Manta did have an OHV engine, but it was the 1200.

Redroze - The Omega / Carlton 1.8 flywheel will fit, but it accepts a different clutch and transmission. If you want the easiest conversion, keep to Manta 1.8S parts.

Just a warning, though - Manta 1.8 5-speed transmissions are selling for silly money these days because they're perfect for people converting to 2.0 16v C20XE engines. And I don't think you can use a 1.3 Manta transmission (4 speed) on the 1.8 without tracking down a very rare bellhousing.
Cheers,
Nick

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
Just a warning, though - Manta 1.8 5-speed transmissions are selling for silly money these days because they're perfect for people converting to 2.0 16v C20XE engines. And I don't think you can use a 1.3 Manta transmission (4 speed) on the 1.8 without tracking down a very rare bellhousing.
Cheers,
Nick
Nick.....don't suppose your the ex-uk Nick with the silver 2.4 GT, ex OMOC?

As for the parts mentioned above......you're not wrong! Seems sensible these days to buy a scrap 1.8 Manta GT for £50 and then return up to £200 for the sump and other minor bits.....that's before you get to the dizzy, box, prop and axle (I understand that for some reason more of the 1.8's had LSD....though I could definately be wrong on this one)

Anyhoo...seems our man Redroze has disappered theres been no activity on this thread for a while, although all of us are offering the same answer.

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Mark,
If it's Nick W your looking for, I have contact details...

·
More Opels than sense
25 Posts
Mark, you're right, it's me. I'm back in the USA now and the GT's back here with me, but everything else is the same. Still an OMOC member (still doing the club magazine too) and still come back for Billing every year. I keep trying to drop by the GT club area at Billing, but I've been helping OCP out for the last couple of years and that's taken up all my non-Manta polishing time... :-(

Drop me a line at nick dot webb a t earthlink d o t net and I might have something for the club magazine.
Cheers,
Nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts