Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've got a Manta B rear axle in very good condition (just performed service on the diff, new brakes, no rust etc). I was going to put it on my Manta A, but then I bought a GT ;). I was wondering - is it possible to fit the axle on the gt without too much trouble? The GT is in a garage some distance from here, so I haven't been able to look for myself how hard it seems.

I've also heard the manta axle is about 5cm wider than the GT's original.. true? Does it matter (since the GT got really low ET you should still be able to find fitting wheels)?

Any help is appreciated!

/ Erik

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Manta B/Piazza diffs

Same basic type of diff as the GT - just 40mm plus wider.
this means that the spring cups don't exactly line up correctly as they are just that much further apart too.

Perhaps the springs will tolerate that much angle but I guess it would be nicer to move the cups inward on the "B" diff to lie up with the GT body mounts. This would involve cutting and welding.

See the thread(s) on Isuzu Piazza (or Impulse) diffs.

·
Opeler
4 Posts
Some years ago I was faced with replacing a differential on a GT. Don't remember the car's year. I had a spare beat up '72 Manta and thought I could use that differential as a replacement. Rude suprise! The track rod attachment is on the opposite axel tube of the GT as compared to the Manta.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CIH-driver: Yeah, I heard from some other guy that you can only move the diff from manta if the gt is a 71 or newer, the older ones had a different axle. Just my luck :mad:

Thanx for the information though. I guess It'll be cutting and welding then. Or does anyone know of some other axle from another car that could fit? I want a diffed rear axle that will take ~200bph or more..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts