Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd start off by saying this is my first post on this site. I've owned my first Opel - a white 1974 Manta Rallye - for about 4 or 5 months now and finally got around to pulling the engine out to have it rebuilt. (It's currently at Bell and Gaines in Modesto, which was recommended by Gil, getting a complete rebuild). I bought it when I was 17 and am excited to be a part of the next generation of classic Opel caretakers :)

Either the driver's door had been replaced in the past or the sticker is new, but a PO scratched off the build month and the end of the VIN on this new sticker. I think nothing there would have looked better than a scratched up sticker, but oh well. That got me curious as to how I could figure out the build date of my Manta, since I haven't been able to find anything online (honestly I probably just haven't looked hard enough). After we pulled out the tired engine, I found some stamped numbers hidden under all that oil and grime.

Can anyone tell me if this number, "5 274," means the car could have been made in/on May 2, 1974, or does it mean something else? Also, does the "7" underneath that mean anything?
I can provide my car's VIN too if that could help find out the build date.

Thanks, Donovan

Attachments

Reactions: dpre

·
Super Moderator
9,670 Posts
You need to contact Rainer Manthey on this site, his screen name is Rainer Manthey, he's in Germany and has all that info

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,588 Posts
Is there no aluminum plate with the VIN on one frame rail in the engine compartment? It would be on passenger side IIRC.

·
RunOpel
1,228 Posts
Good to have you on-board Donovan. As you will find, there are many members with lots of
experience with Opel Manta's. I for one know very little about Manta's, but I do like them.
I own a GT and am learning about it as well. Good luck, I look forward to watching your progress :yup:

·
Detritus Maximus
2,185 Posts
Is there no aluminum plate with the VIN on one frame rail in the engine compartment? It would be on passenger side IIRC.
I think he's just looking for the build date that was on the silver sticker on the door. I suspect if the door was replaced, someone scratched it off to make sure there was no confusion as to the vin of the car. Or maybe they scratched it up to hide the origins of a stolen door. I think I saw a report on 20/20 years ago about the lucrative California market for stolen drivers side Opel Manta doors...

All you might be able to do is compare vins and build dates with other Manta owners to get an approximate build date. Some parts have dates on them, like GT speedos, but it is still just approximate.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You need to contact Rainer Manthey on this site, his screen name is Rainer Manthey, he's in Germany and has all that info
Thanks, I will definitely get in touch with him!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think he's just looking for the build date that was on the silver sticker on the door. I suspect if the door was replaced, someone scratched it off to make sure there was no confusion as to the vin of the car.
Exactly :yup:

I sure hope my Manta isn't involved in some rampant theft ring exclusively for driver doors! :lmao:

(And thanks for all the laughs - I've been reading through these forums for years and always enjoy how fun and positive this community is)

·
Detritus Maximus
2,185 Posts
It is definitely not like many other car forums, especially not like the ones catering to Hondas or anything with a v8.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts