Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am forgetting something or basically having a brain freeze.

If memory serves me some have had luck removing the upper nut of the Manta front shock by making a tool to help them. I cant find that on the forums no matter how much I search.

I am obviously missing something, because I can't find anything that can get a good grip on the upper nut to take off the front shock.. any help would be appreciated.

Charles

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
GoinManta said:
OK, I am forgetting something or basically having a brain freeze.

If memory serves me some have had luck removing the upper nut of the Manta front shock by making a tool to help them. I cant find that on the forums no matter how much I search.

I am obviously missing something, because I can't find anything that can get a good grip on the upper nut to take off the front shock.. any help would be appreciated.

Charles
I have used a cut-down 'deep' socket for this normally. So it's kind of an 'intermediate' length socket at that point. Tall enough to clear the stud, but not to tall to bind the ratchet against the inner fender/frame area. Of course, the nut diameters can vary, OEM shocks were 15 mm but often aftermarket ones are 14 mm or 9/16". Then there's the rust factor, in which case I use a small breaker bar to twist the nut right off...after driving a screwdriver through the upper shock sheetmetal dust shield to keep it from spinning.

HTH,
Bob

Oops, forgot to mention, on my own vehicles I like to holesaw a 1.25" hole through the inner fender to access the upper shock stud from under the hood. MUCH easier this way.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RallyBob said:
Oops, forgot to mention, on my own vehicles I like to holesaw a 1.25" hole through the inner fender to access the upper shock stud from under the hood. MUCH easier this way.
Hmm.... May do that if I have too much difficulty getting it off with a shortened socket.

Charles

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
Cutoff Saw

Charles - Last time I did mine...I lost patience and took my 4" cutoff wheel and just buzzed through the nut. Job done...5 minutes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts