Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Opel Addicts
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently removed, hot-tanked and sealed the gas tank for our 75 Manta. We also replaced fuel lines. We made a new gasket from regular gasket material for where the sending unit goes into the gas tank. The Problem is it keeps leaking from this area. We have been wondering if we need to use another type of gasket? We have also been trying to think of a sealant that is not gasoline soluable, but :confused:

Any suggestions for a solution are welcome! Thanks.

Vickie

·
137 Posts
Vickie ...

I had that problem with the Ascona. I replaced the gasket with a rubber gasket I made and it cured the problem. I might still have the gasket ... I know I have the tank and sender unit. It's yours if you want it.

Ken

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
I always make the sender unit gaskets out of cork...never had a leaker yet, and no sealant required.

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
Cork!!!

Same here. The original material was cork and I've made 2 new gaskets from cork in the last 8 months. No leakers!!!

·
Opel Addicts
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK--Thanks! Looks like it is the type of material. Is there an "auto" grade cork and any specific thickness required? If so, where do you get it?

Vickie

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Vickie,
Up here you can buy a pack of sheets of various types of gasket material at Canadian Tire...so I should think you will have the same at autozone etc.
The cork is about 3/16" thick.
Check that the base of the sender is not distorted, and don't overtighten the bolts...you should be good to go.
When you had the tank sealed, make sure they didn't plug any of the vent openings....
HTH,
Rob.

·
Opel Addicts
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New Gasket in--we finally decided on cork. It has made several test runs and has sat for a while and it doesn't leak :) . So we have one ready for Carlisle and 3 to go.

Thanks!

Vickie

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
NOS Gasket

Vickie - Wow...you move quickly and I guess I haven't been checking in here often enough. I have an NOS cork gasket for the 75 pickup/sender that I've been using as a pattern to make new ones. I'm glad to hear your problem is solved. However...if you'd like to use my original to make some extra copies...just let me know. -Scott

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Idea for Gasket Library

Scott, your post reminded me of something Gene Smith helped me out with some years ago. Gene placed some gaskets on a copier and made paper copies. I then used the copies as templates to make several gaskets I needed at the time (thermostat housing primarily). Those of us with scanners and extra gaskets laying around like this could scan them and post the files in a library here. Then, when someone needed a gasket we could print the file and use it as a template. Those could be lifesavers in some cases.

Perhaps a forum Moderator might want to handle how to post this proposal to the group?

Todd K.

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
I made my own recently by just measuring the inside and outside diameter of the old one, before scraping it off, then used a compass to make a ring of heavy cardboard, then placed it on the sender, and marked the bolt holes and punched them out with a hole punch,

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
BTW, since Todd mentioned it, till a file or something can b set up, I can run off copies of those, so that one could make their own set of "masters" on heavy cardboard to keep handy. Just PM me with your address

1 - 11 of 11 Posts