Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call me lazy and all, but does anyone have a comprehensive collection of info on the Manta GSi? and any ideas on what I can do with my Manta? Without trying to sound too nobby, from what I have gathered, my Manta GSi 2.0l (93,000kms) injected looks like a pretty classy tin can. Are there many things that go wrong with them? Is my manta relatively special or just another wicked non jappa thats great fun to show off in my country :D

Im after the weight, engine output, info on how rare the extras are on my car, etc etc. If the info is on the site, I've been blind enough to miss it, so help would be appreciated heaps.

Cheers Opel'ers!!

·
boomerang opeler
5,641 Posts
what year is it and what is its spec as i could not find any ref to a GSi?? any were on the world wide net
a pic would help!
also i take it this is a FWD car

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GSi

Basically all I know is that its a version made for NZ. So far this is what I know:

-1985 Opel Manta 'B' GSi (hatch / liftback model)
-Recaro seats with GSi badge, and tints and all that stuff
-2.0l EFi 4cyl
-Dash has an economy vacuum meter instead of the 'oel' (oil) guage seen in South African manta b's
-5spd Getrag box
-Sunroof (metal, manual slideback)
- Factory stencil-style "MANTA GSI" badges down sides and under rear rubberish tail spoiler.

They come with bodykits (my spare wreck had one) but mine doesnt.

I *think* the motor might be 110hp, I really dont know :( but whatever it is, it never hesitates to go like the hammers of hell :D

This might help, or it could be a load of rubbish, but its the best i can do atm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
appendix

BTW I forgot to mention - perhaps GSi is the same as GTE?

You'll all have to forgive me for being a real n00b but I havent owned my Manta for too long, but this time is all it took to get hooked :)

·
boomerang opeler
5,641 Posts
if its a gte then you are looking at about 1 tonne /115 or 130 bhp depending on the engine . Is it a cam in head or an over head cam (1st or 2nd power numbers)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cam In Head as far as i know, i just went outside to pop the bonnet, since the car has been re-VIN'ed, its missing the essential little tag :(

23H85 is stamped on the side of the bottom of the block if thats any help.

it has a rocker cover thats reminiscent of an old tractor, no style or flair like my mates 16v '89 Kadett motor :) and everything is painted black save for the Bosch injection system. It has a 5th injector mounted on the south end of the plenum - and yet again im ignorant of wether that signifies a special / different motor than normal. its non crossflow too but i guess you already know that hehe

Attachments

·
boomerang opeler
5,641 Posts
if it looks like a tractor then its bound to be a CIH still its good to know the good looking 16 valver will go in no probs#
By the way how dose tomorrow look im in england (old cleche') but we like to know these things , sun come up ok ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
perhaps im missing the point :) but im in New Zealand, HEAPS of sun here atm, im just off to a barbeque atm but thanx a million for the help - if it werent for this site, my manta would be just another strange foreign car.

Its nice to know how much grunt it has - problem with owning it is that all these boy racers driving silly tricked out Lancers try to race me, my Manta looks faster than it is :p

·
boomerang opeler
5,641 Posts
always the same with a "b" looked good rusted good went good
the paint never did stick good (seen 1 in a dealers brand new with rust bubbles and went to ford [see pic of sierra{merka}]for a while but kept gt since 1982)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
5th injector

ahh so thats what that beastie does...

Im wondering if its stuck on fulltime, the engine idles high, and if i lower the idle, it gets a bit choppy and doesnt idle very well at all when warm, and dies when cold, so im stuck with about 1400rpm until i get my brain into gear and suss this one out :( also got to figure out what gearbox speedo drive i need for my getrag, and where to get the damned thing from :|

·
boomerang opeler
5,641 Posts
if the idle is high try spraying some lub (wd 40)in the flow metre if its the flap type(alli box next to air filter with a 1/4 circle shape)and try to ajust the throttle sensor on the side of the throttle body insted of the ajuster screw (north end of plenum)
as for bits we have another menber frome NZ and he gets his bits from vauxhall(same car diff badge)and holden

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Gidday! The another member from NZ.

Have a look on The Web and EBay for a 1985 Vauxhall Carlton GSi hand book. They are really cheap 2GBP or less but the postage is a bit crippling - maybe 8GBP for airmail.

Also just type Manta B or Vauxhall Carlton into your search engine and lots of info will be instantly there for you to look through.

I have a 1972 GT - ready to have its new "laurel green" Holden paint applied this week after a year of panel beating and rust removal. Its motor is the same as the 1900 Opel engine used in the 1972-79 Holden Toranas. Cam-In-Head motor - cast iron head

Also a 1987 Opel Ascona GT 2.0i hatchback which is a front-wheel-drive car with a similar engine to the Holden Camira and all the GM "J" cars like the Chevy Cavalier and Buick Skyhawk. Single over-head cam motor with alloy head.

I am in Christchurch - a long way south of the Bombay Hills:D

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
NZ Manta GSi said:
Cam In Head as far as i know, i just went outside to pop the bonnet, since the car has been re-VIN'ed, its missing the essential little tag :(

23H85 is stamped on the side of the bottom of the block if thats any help.

it has a rocker cover thats reminiscent of an old tractor, no style or flair like my mates 16v '89 Kadett motor :) and everything is painted black save for the Bosch injection system. It has a 5th injector mounted on the south end of the plenum - and yet again im ignorant of wether that signifies a special / different motor than normal. its non crossflow too but i guess you already know that hehe
Sorry I didn't see this thread before, but it looks more like an 1983-87 A-2 Monza to me (Senator/Monza chassis, 105.67" wheelbase), on which my '85 Bitter SC 3.9 is based. The A-2 version Monza was offered with either a 2.0 CIH4 or one of the 2.5, 2.8 or 3.0 CIH6es, the 2.0 and 3.0 CIH engines with the L-jetronic injection you describe.

:D

·
boomerang opeler
5,641 Posts
otto
the monza is a coupe' version of garys senitor
looks very much like a manta "b" thats been to the vets and had 3000 cc's of steroids pumped into it every day
and oh boy dose it drive drooolllllll

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
baz said:
otto
the monza is a coupe' version of garys senator
looks very much like a manta "b" thats been to the vets and had 3000 cc's of steroids pumped into it every day
and oh boy dose it drive drooolllllll
What I said . . . !

How I knew:

·
boomerang opeler
5,641 Posts
otto ive never seen a two door sedan version only ever seen hatchback like you first pic
then again thats a bitter coupe'

·
Registered
69 Posts
The Red car in question is a Manta "B" GSI. very similar to the GTE in specifications, but with a lesser standard of finish in the interior. The GSI wasn't offered to the UK market, but was fairly commonplace in the European.

110BHP 119.5lb Torque

And YES, the engine WAS derived from an old Tractor motor :D

We have loads of them over here in the UK, so I recommend a quick look at the owners club website on www.mantaclub.org

Personally, I prefer the Older "A" Series Manta (Picture of mine below) but with my latest purchase of a 1970 GT, I'm looking forward to restoring back to her former glory.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.