Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today at the solo II autocross event at Gateway International with the Manta the powers to be were not quite sure about what class the Manta should be in. They were leaning (pushing) to E modified. I was hoping for a lesser preped class. Much squawking about the dual Webers. They will decide at next weeks race on Sunday

While I really don’t car what class I run in at this point because of my inexperience I thought that it might be something to look at down the road in the very slim off chance I was ever competitive. The only EM cars out there were big very modified Chevy V-8 Impala’s and Monte Carlo’s while I did not complain I thought that this seemed to be an unfair grouping.

All I did was drive up and said I have a 1973 Opel Manta what class am I?

I did not even mention anything about engines but when they heard the car idling they went into conniptions and immediately went to poking and prodding it unmercifully. They did not seem to care if I ran street tires (in my case Sumo’s) or DOT Firestone race tires that came off a GT4 Manta “that car goes in the modified class”.

It seems some of the tech people were ex pro rally drivers. There was one who used to drive a rally Manta and he was sympathetic and tired to convince the others that it “might be just a bit more than borderline stock” and that prepared might be fair. From the other officials there was some talk of the Manta reeking of “being full tricky of C&R Small car parts” (they brought that up I never said a word) and if that car was anything less than fully modified that the official was also Santa Claus.

Do Opel’s have a reputation for stretching the rules?

From a technical standpoint if I am even at best an average driver how bad will I get pounded by the big v-8’s. I am just going to go have fun but if I ever did get serious should the manta really be in E modified with the big monster V-8??!!!

·
Certified Opelholic
1,470 Posts
what the fxxx

if a car drives up and is street legal it should be in stock class or street prepared

basically you can run any class you want until you get protested

to say crap like that to some one that's new is bull

that's the problem with SCCA the forget things are supposed to be fun

Just say put me in EM i don't care.
Hell I used to run EM since my car had a T-5 in it.

after an event me and a friend would be there talking and they would say hey you got a hat or a trophy we would say keep it

Jaime was another Opel person that switched to Pintos they called it the Pinto from hell (had ABS on it)

just pick a car that's about 2 seconds faster then you and try to catch that car

Autocross can be real fun but its the people that make a bid difference

we used to let 3 and 4 people work a corner that's a good place to learn and make new friends

maybe that's part of the reason i stopped autocrossing here in CO

they put you out on the track by your self all alone you might as well be standing in a field some where

they have 50 million cones for some dumb reason

let me stop-- just go have fun, don't forget to up your tire press

good luck
davegt27

·
648 Posts
It's stories like this that's allowing NASA to catch up to SCCA so fast. Well said. They have forgot it's supposed to be fun...too many rules...too many cones!

Jc

·
Opeler
36 Posts
Calvin

I would have them get out the rule book and prove to you that you belong in EM. Your car should be able to run in EP if you run slicks or not. You can run in FSP if you run your street tires and stock cam or SM (street mod) if you run a non stock cam and street tires. I don't know if the event was a SCCA or not but i've been to all kinds and it just not SCCA.

Lee Frisvold
73 GT longtime autoxer
www.mnautox.com

·
Super Moderator
13,818 Posts
If it has a 1.9 with no more than .047" overbore, has a solid lifter or hydraulic cam, and has ferrous connecting rods, it can go into E-Prepared. Pretty much any other mod is legal.

If it is a 2.0, 2.2, 2.4 or another engine that is non-Opel, or has a roller cam, or has titanium or aluminum rods, it would be bumped up to Modified class.

Bob

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have to say ALL the people were all VERY friendly and I am NOT complaining per say. I mean you run against the clock I was just a bit amazed at how adamantly vehement some of the officials were.

I freely admitted to that my engine is not stock and it is a 2.4 (now) nor is my head, suspension, cam or valves so it is modified I just didn't think that it would be considered quite "that " modified.

Funny that they made reference to rally bob's old firm as soon as they saw the Opel. Most likely it was somebody he beat once. lol the BMW people sure knew who Bob was but they were the most supportive and all for putting the car in a much slower class. They just weren't the officials sadly. (after the C&R firm came up i did say that i followed Bob's instructions from the internet on converting the 1.9). However lots of important folk were not there today, as there was a national race somewhere and the top 2 guys will be back next week and make a judgement.

I will go where they tell me, today I just watched, gophered and stood with the safety people here and there. If I don't like the class I will just pick the cars that are close to me like the 2.2 Omni’s and the x19's and such and see how my times stack up. In the mean time I will just do what the rookie coach says and just try to drive smoothly.

I am sure the v8 EM people will be equally miffed at having an ittsy-bitsy 4-cly. Opel without a blower or turbo and an non stripped stock interior in their class and they will eventually kick me down to an appropriate level.

What I really wonder is if I can just put it in second and go?

·
Opeler
36 Posts
Calvin

You should be able to run in SM (street mod). The rules state "the modifications are unrestricted except the engine must be from the same manufacture". Look at http://moutons.org/sccasolo/
The only thing is you can't run slicks. I have a 2.4 GT that I run in SM2 at SCCA events. SM is a run what you brung class full of motor swaps,aftermarket turbos and superchargers

Lee Frisvold
73GT longtime autoxer

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
My 16 year old and I were put out at a loop with two experienced drivers that really helped out, like you said. Of course, we had already run, but my 16 year old was sure he could do better after that.

One of the guys had the best time so far and his son was racing the heat we were watching the loop. They had a built up Laser with turbo boost and the works. He was expecting his son to take home a trophy from the nationals. I think his son had the best time of the day.

Of course, the fans choice for race of the day was when this guy's son, spun out just before the finish, threw the car into reverse, and crossed backwards. It was pretty wild.

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Isn't a Early manta under 2200 pounds? I know that the 74 and 75 have the extra pillars up to the roof and a bit mor metal in back.

SM is looking correct except for the wieght. If it is under 2200 pounds then the SM2 class looks like the winner.

that http://moutons.org/sccasolo/ web sight is very helpful. Thank you very much
c

Street Mod (SM)
Up to 3.0L, naturally aspirated, OHC engines
Up to 4.0L, naturally aspirated, pushrod engines
FWD: 1800 pounds

RWD: 2200 pounds

AWD: 2400 pounds
Up to 3.0L, forced induction, OHC engines
Up to 4.0L, forced induction, pushrod engines
FWD: 1900 pounds
RWD: 2400 pounds
AWD: 2600 pounds
Up to 3.01 to 6.0L, naturally aspirated, OHC engines
Up to 4.01 to 6.0L, naturally aspirated, pushrod engines
Up to 1.5L, rotary engines, all
FWD: 2000 pounds
RWD: 2500 pounds
AWD: 2700 pounds

Street Mod 2 (SM2), two seat vehicles and underweight SM vehicles
Up to 4.0L, naturally aspirated, OHC engines
Up to 5.0L, naturally aspirated, pushrod engines
FWD: 1500 pounds
RWD: 1900 pounds
AWD: 2100 pounds

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
RallyBob said:

If it is a 2.0, 2.2, 2.4 or another engine that is non-Opel, or has a roller cam, or has titanium or aluminum rods, it would be bumped up to Modified class.
Actually, EP has no restrictions on roller cams.

-Travis

·
Super Moderator
13,818 Posts
Travis said:
Actually, EP has no restrictions on roller cams.

-Travis
Sorry Travis, I stand corrected. But I know they used to specifically ban them unless they were OEM. But that dates to when the Prepared rules mirrored the GT (club racing) specs nearly perfectly, and GT-4 doesn't allow roller cams. Man, I must be getting old, the rules they are a changin'.

Bob

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
I see that this thread is titled "Manta In E Mod", but the picture you just posted is of an engine compartment from a GT. What's Up???? Wrong Picture??

Paul

1 - 15 of 15 Posts