Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
servicing

Hey all,
Just wondering if you all think it would be a good idea to go to a school with parts, and get free and semi-quality service, instead of doing the work myself, because I'm not really auto-mechanically inclined. I have friends that know how to do the general work, but they've never worked on Opels before. I also need parts...LOTS of them. If you need to know what parts, and if you're in Alberta ever, just email me.

·
Super Moderator
5,883 Posts
David,

Is that Kat's gold Manta? CAN'T be more than one Manta in Leduc!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kat moved

Yeah, it's hers. She is moving to the states...I think in California. She couldn't take all of her cars with her, so she had to put them into someone else's hands. I guess she trusts me. We did the bill of sale for her gold Manta, and her 2 Kadetts. It wasn't money she was interested in, so she sold them cheap. I realize how much she cared for them, so I'm gonna try my best to fix them up, and do whatever I can to get them to do what she was attempting...getting them to run. Maybe she can see them again, or even buy them back when I'm all done. I need a lot of parts, and a lot of patients. Not much has to be done to get them running, but a fair amount has to be done to get them looking good.
My Dad (username: ironman), is also helping me to get them fixed. I'm not overly mechanically inclined, but my Pa knows how to do this stuff. I know enough to get me by, and I'll continue to learn. If anyone knows Kat, then message back. She told me to get in touch with you guys because you have a history with her and her cars.

·
Super Moderator
5,883 Posts
Do I have a history with Kat? THAT would be an understatement!

And some is even recent history. She "dropped" by (a mere three hour drive each way) on Sunday night to borrow a FSM (Factory Service Manual), a few parts, and a couple key "Opel" tools, in her quest to breath life back into the Tacoma Ascona Sportwagon ('75 with FI). Her (soon to be ex) husband had "re-built" the engine after it spun a rod bearing, and now it won't turn over. As in, it is acting seized, but he SWEARS that he did everything by the book. Although the latest report (as of yesterday, Wednesday) says that he might have "forgotten" to install the pressure plate when he installed the clutch. Which explains how he was able to install the transmission without using a clutch alignment tool!

Anyway, if you need help, drop me a line. Send me a PM or e-mail and I'll give you my phone numbers in Calgary. I don't know as much about Manta's and Kadetts as I do about GT's, although I did have a '68 Kadett Wagon (1.5 CIH engine) for a time in the '80's.

Good luck, and take good care of Kat's cars. Remember, we are all just caretakers of these cars. If we don't give them the proper care, they will disappear from the face of the Earth.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sounds good

If I need help, I will definitely call. Kat said the Manta was basically the same as her GT (inside), but her GT is nicer! I have no idea as to what I need, and I'll probably get a look at it before I start asking for help or parts. I also have Kat's number so I can keep in touch and ask her personal opinion, and advice. She knows way better than I do, and she has good contacts too.
In the Manta, I have a 1.9L, but it's blown. I do have another, but it needs to be put in. I need a service manual for the Manta. If you come accross one, I'd be glad to get a hold of it. I'll need one with pics, and definitions, and explanations. I'm determined to learn, and make the Manta a beaut.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts