Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen the new McDonald's commercial (new to me anyways)? There appears to be a Yellow or Orange Manta with a blacked out tail. I was barely paying attention so I didn't get a look at it. It may also be "suffering" from West Coast hydraulics, making it bounce (like I said I wasn't paying attention). I also don't watch a lot of TV, and probably won't catch the commercial again.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I saw the commercial last night, I told my wife "Look there is a manta in this commercial"! She just gave me that look of (Who Cares). Some people just don't know what's important.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I saw it once and then two or three more times in a fairly short period. I was watching prime time NBC all night so I'll keep my eyes open. Thought it was a Manta, then though nah! But if somebody else thought the same thing, maybe! Somebody needs to tape and get a better look.

Sharon

·
Super Moderator
5,883 Posts
You know, I paused the movie about five times and almost convinced myself it was a later model Corvair. Then I searched for some Corvair photos, and convinced myself it had to be a Manta. Then I compared it to Rick Graham's '73 Manta (that I had photos from this summer's OMC Picnic), and convinced myself it WASN'T a Manta. It almost looks like one, but the space above the tail lights to the trunk deck isn't tall enough, the top of the rear glass is too straight, and the interior just doesn't look like a Manta. What the heck IS it?

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
take that back. The car in the commercial is not a Monza. Door handles are different.

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
A fiat or a Lancia i think I just can't remember where I have seen that car. Looks like it has some extra chrome around the lights so not a Manta . That is a beater steering wheel but looks to have a d on it (for datsun maybe) but it is tought to tell on my messed up monitor as the red gun is out (color)

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had no idea that this could cause so much discussion!! Now I'm *really* interested to find out what it is.

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
Looks kind like a Mazda to me, maybe a Cosmo?

Bob

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Or Maybe...

(credit here goes to RallyBob and Google)

I'm still unsure, but...

"The launch spot, created by Heye & Partner in Unterhaching, Germany..."

And the McD's car being left hand drive, and I couldn't find anything about there ever being a left hand drive Cosmo...

Attachments

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
The rear corners alone don't match the car in the commercial. I am trying to catch it and record it on PC so I can get some really clear shots of it now.

Plus the one car has vents in the right side, no place for a cup holder like shown in the commercial.

·
530 Posts
My vote is for the Mazda RX2. I only had a passing glance at the McD commercial tonight, but when I saw what I thought were 4 round tailights, I thought RX2. They had a tail very similar to the Manta.

·
290 Posts
I paused it and slo-moed it many times last night (tivo). I say it is an RX2. All Mazdas in japan are right hand drive aren't they?

·
2,054 Posts
How about a Bitter coupe?
The four red/yellow tail lights certainly have an Opel character, and Bitter pulled lots of parts from Opel.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just saw the commercial for the first time last night. Knowing the movie and advertising industry: could the car be a compilation of junkyard parts, representing all cars but no one car in particular? A multitude of parts and a fresh coat of paint can do wonders (just look at some of our Opels). Wouldn't be the first time movie "magic" was done to help promote a product.:p

1 - 20 of 82 Posts