Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked with OGTS and a couple other sources to find a new or used Manta TH180 auto trans kick down cable that runs from the accelerator pedal to the trans with no luck. I see the TH 180 was also used in the 77- to 82 or so Chevy Chevettes.
I'm wondering if the kick down cable for a Chevette might interchange with a Manta's.
Any one have any insight on it? The Chevettes kick down is only about $12.00 so I guess I could order one and see how it looks.

·
Opel Key Master
5,026 Posts
I could not find one either at the time and had to recondition mine. I would doubt the Chevette one would work, but it is worth a try. I remember having some NOS at times, and didn't think a thing about them, sold them off with other NOS part lots. Had I only known

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,389 Posts
If you have to make your own, I'm sure that an appropriate cable could be found at a bicycle or motorcycle shop. If you can reuse your old housing, fine, but maybe a motorcycle housing will be more heat resistant. Bicycles have mushroom or barrel ends and I think those kicker cables have a ball end. There are a number of ways to put a cable stop on the other end, but the easiest and most adjustable method is to use one of those bolts with the hole drilled through the side.

I'll keep my mouth shut about the uselessness of kick down cables.....

·
Registered
179 Posts
fiat 124 cable

NEW - 1975-85 AUTOMATIC,
KICK DOWN CABLE.
SHORTER THAN ORIGINAL FUEL INJECTED CABLE, BUT WILL WORK! DOES NOT INCLUDE O-RING 14453080.
124 SEDAN & WAGON USE 4258186.
REPLACES 6833, 299127, 4460696, & 5944140, 07-7333, 07-7340.

Details

Part Number 0004336833N
Models 124 SPIDER 2000/131/OPEL GT/131 SUPER/ARGENTA/132 GLS
Quantity in stock 3 item(s) available
Price: $27.50 (€ 23.93)AUTOMATIC KICK-DOWN CABLE :: AUTOMATIC TRANS OUTER CONTROLS :: TRANSMISSION & DIFFERENTIAL :: C. Obert & Co. AUTOMATIC KICK-DOWN CABLE :: AUTOMATIC TRANS OUTER CONTROLS :: TRANSMISSION & DIFFERENTIAL :: C. Obert & Co.

i think this one will work i remember reading rally bob thread saying these work.. this is the same part number listed for the gt automatic..
ps kickdown cable on this tranny is not useless in fact it wont shift right without it..

·
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered the Fiat kick down cable and will let you know when it arrives how it works. Thanks for the lead on that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
yes let me know

I ordered the Fiat kick down cable and will let you know when it arrives how it works. Thanks for the lead on that.
yes i am curious too my cable housing is broken. it works ok but and i m planning on ordering one of these for my car ..or maybe if this works you could send me your old housing so i cn repair mine..

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,389 Posts
Just as a word of caution: If you have a Weber, there seems to be a lot more throw to the linkage after both the venturis open up. If you don't take this into account you may tear the ball end off the cable when you floor it. In my '72 FSM, the adjustment instructions are on page 74-58.

The TH180 kick down cable doesn't do anything until after full throttle. You adjust it to start pulling AFTER both throttles are wide open. The book says you should adjust for "approximately 3/8" of movement from the full throttle point. This is where you have to be careful. Make sure your pedal CAN"T depress any further at the 3/8"-1/2" point, otherwise the detent valve in the tranny that the cable is pulling on will hit it's stop and all your foot force will be exerted onto the ball at the end of the cable. There's no safety spring to suck up excessive throw of the linkage.

Also, beware of the "double-downshift". Since the modulator/engine speed/car speed will downshift you anyway when you floor it, if the kick down engages AFTER the tranny has already downshifted automatically(3rd-to-2nd), it will downshift you again into 1st! For example: If you're going 45mph and you floor it and it double downshifts, you'll be in 1st gear with the engine at 8000rpm(I'm exaggerating a little).

·
Opel Key Master
5,026 Posts
This problem would not exist on the Manta as far as I am concerned. The kickdown connects to the top of the foot pedal and is adjusted in the firewall, where as the GT works off the outside linkage and could be affected because the link it is attached to has got to do with throttle adjustment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts