• Manta Rallye

Votes: 24 77.4%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want your honest opinion

I want you honest opinion should i buy a Manta or a Manta Rallye i really cant decide wether i want to by a manta and make it a rallye or buy an orignal rallye.

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
you will pay about the same for both but the rally has a 3.67 rear end, stiffer springs ie a better suspension and the gauges. These upgrades all cost money.

the paint and stripes are no big deal but you will pay for the upgrades on a plain jane to a rally

in plain words get the rally

but where you live buy whichever has the least amount of rust

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
Rust

I agree with Calvin, get the one with the least amount of rust. The Rallye does have a few more goodies, but if the plain Manta is in the better condition, those things can be added to the Manta at a later date.

Why not buy both!

·
Super Moderator
9,826 Posts
Manta Rallye

WBOO
Here's what I was trying to tell you the other night. Here's a Manta Rallye that started as a plain Manta and is now what you see attached. I know the original owner of this car.

Attachments

·
531 Posts
I would certainly agree with others on the list on looking for one with a solid body above all. My advice would be based on what you want to do with the car. If you're lookng for something fun to drive and just enjoy, you could go with a Manta and make a Rallye "clone" as many do in the Muscle Car scene. However, if originality is important, you're looking to create a showcar, and are a "by the numbers" type, start with a Rallye as I do believe they have the rallye code in the VIN as 57R.

The bright side is, they're both great cars IMHO!

I like that suggested idea of one of each...maybe I should work on that...that is after I get my regular Manta where I want it to be!

Jeff W
73 Manta

WannaBOpelOwner said:
I want you honest opinion should i buy a Manta or a Manta Rallye i really cant decide wether i want to by a manta and make it a rallye or buy an orignal rallye.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i kinda want both hehe. i want it to be a show car but i also want it to be an every day fun driver.

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only Raylle with the different rear end is the stick shift. The auto had the same rear as all of the other Mantas

If you are going to make the clones, don't forget the Fog lights(chrome bumper models), Tach and gauge cluster(you will need the GT sensor for the oil port on the engine).

I had a Raylle and Luxus. They were both great, but I liked the look of the Raylle better.

·
Kick a little asphalt
1,485 Posts
Jeff is correct. Only the manual transmission equipped cars came with the 3.67:1 differential. The automatics came with the 3.44:1 ratio. This applies to the Rallye Manta's only. The base model and Luxus Manta's all came with the 3.44:1 ratio regardless of transmission type.

Duane

·
Non Civilian
2,102 Posts
unless you have a Manta Blue Max. it has an auto tranny with the 3.67 rear end. but i only know of 4 left. very rare. but they scoot!

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Blue Max rear end?

opelwasp said:
unless you have a Manta Blue Max. it has an auto tranny with the 3.67 rear end. but i only know of 4 left. very rare. but they scoot!
As far as I recall, the Blue Max was based on a Luxus and only offered an identical drivetrain . . . no optional 3.67 rear end. The Rallye (57R) was the only model offered with 3.67 ratio and ONLY on standard transmission cars.

I'm confused . . . you want to jump in here, Charles? :confused:

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,700 Posts
opelwasp said:
You sure about that? Where did you get that info?

I guess when I start on my Blue Max I can pull the pumpkin cover and count teeth.

Charles

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
3.89 or 3.90?

Back when I lived in NC, a fellow Opeler there (Helmut Guehr :confused: ) had a '73 Rallye that had an apparent rare option with an even taller rear end. I think it was either a 3.89 or 3.90. I believe it had to be special ordered.
Does anyone else know about these?
The car seemed to come out of the hole a bit faster but would scream at highway speeds with the 4 speed. I've always thought it would be a nice option with a Getrag, but I've never come across another one. Helmut, are you on this list?

Todd K.

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Hi Helmut!

Long time no see...
I remember when you first got the car you brought it over to our house and we went out for a drive. We were thinking it seemed to rev higher at around 55-60mph, and that it may have had that 3.89 rear. I guess that was just the difference between the 3.44 and the 3.67?

Has anyone ever come across one of the infamous 3.89 rears?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.