Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a plain US 1972 Opel Manta that I'm beginning to restore. I have a line on a 1973 Rallye model for parts. I've read that the Rallye adds the stripes and the gauge package, but also has different suspension. Anyone know what the specific changes on the suspension are for a Rallye?

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,580 Posts
Not sure about the suspension, but don't forget the Rallye emblems (interior and exterior).

Dieter

·
Registered
650 Posts
I doubt there is any difference in the suspension. Rally Bob would know. I suspect it was gauges and appearance package only.

·
Detritus Maximus
3,190 Posts
Different springs, I think. 3.67 rear diff for manuals and 3.44 for automatic.

·
Detritus Maximus
3,190 Posts
And Rallye lights, but that Mau have been an option.

·
Registered
893 Posts
The sales brochure from 1973 indicates the Rallye to have special wheels, full instrumentation including tach, oil pressure, ammeter, and electric clock, plus two fog lamps. It mentions a suspension system "...that has helped make the car an honors-winner" but gives no details. The parts manual shows identical springs for all Mantas (base, Luxus and Rallye, identified respectively as model # 57, 57L and 57R) but it does show a different number for the 57R shock absorbers, front and rear than it shows for the other models. There was a change in the 1973-74 years, when the rear shock absorber numbers for the 57, 57L and 57R models changed after chassis #9803237. The 57R with manual transmission used a 3.67 rear while the other models used a 3.44.

All of this per the 1968-74 Opel and GT Parts Book effective November 1973.

A pertinent question would then be, "What is the chassis number of the '73?" If it is higher than 9803237, then there might be some differences in the rear from the 1972, but otherwise most parts should fit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I believe the differences are:
Tach in main instrument panel cluster
Additional gauges under radio
Foot operated windshield washer
“Performance” shocks (otherwise same suspension)
Lower rear axle ratio
15 hole wheels
Black hood & stripes
Fog lights on bumper
Front grill all black (no chrome leading edge)

see more details here: Manta / Ascona / 1900 Identification Guide

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good info. Is there any build code tags to identify a Manta (1900) as a Rallye? My 72 has the Tach, under radio gauges, under bumper fog lights, foot pump windshield wipers, all black grille, but no stripes or Rallye badge. Possibly repainted? Were these things also available as individual options?

·
Detritus Maximus
3,190 Posts
For some reason I was sure the Rallye had different springs. Maybe there were more options and alternate equipment for the Euro-spec Manta...aside from the lo-compression pistons.

·
Super Moderator
14,289 Posts
For some reason I was sure the Rallye had different springs. Maybe there were more options and alternate equipment for the Euro-spec Manta...aside from the lo-compression pistons.
Europe didn’t get the Rallye. They had the SR, and they had the GTE. Either car was better performing than the US Manta Rallye. The SR had 90 PS versus 75 HP. The GTE was a fuel injected 1.9 in European spec, so it had 105 PS versus 81 HP.

As I recall the GTE had wider rim options (6”) and wider tire options (185 versus 165 mm). It also had shorter steering arms for a faster steering ratio, something we certainly never got! They also had the option of factory Bilstein monotube shocks instead of Boge hydraulic shocks.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
The Rallye had the sought after rear end, the 3.67. and some beefier springs. Front and rear sway bars. Most of Rallyes came off the lot with manual transmissions and the rear end a 3.67, the other models all had the 3.44 rear end, the other models being the 57 (base), and 57L (Luxus) with both manual and automatic transmission, and the 57R with automatic. I never saw an automatic Rallye, just the manual.
I'd swap out the 3.67 rear end with the 3.44 for the long runs to Fla to get my sons. Better gas mileage, and tach wasn't screaming at 75 mph. I loved my Manta Rallye, She just needs some work. IE new floor boards.

·
Detritus Maximus
3,190 Posts
I knew they didn't get a Rallye, but did the SR or GTE have other springs/swaybars?

Reactions: Nitromancer

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Just read Charles's description of the 74 Rallye and he's fairly close, there are a few things he's off on. Not nitpicking, but I had 3 at one time and still own my original Rallye, and the other Rallye I put "The Engine" into. Don't know any thing about the SR or GTE.

·
Registered
893 Posts
The Rallye had the sought after rear end, the 3.67. and some beefier springs. Front and rear sway bars. Most of Rallyes came off the lot with manual transmissions and the rear end a 3.67, the other models all had the 3.44 rear end, the other models being the 57 (base), and 57L (Luxus) with both manual and automatic transmission, and the 57R with automatic. I never saw an automatic Rallye, just the manual.
I'd swap out the 3.67 rear end with the 3.44 for the long runs to Fla to get my sons. Better gas mileage, and tach wasn't screaming at 75 mph. I loved my Manta Rallye, She just needs some work. IE new floor boards.
This might be correct, but only for the 1974 model year, when the 57R shared the same front springs with the model 54 (2-door wagon). The part number was 312089 and was marked with a spot of white paint. The 1974 57 and 57L part number was 312088 and was marked with brown paint. In the 1971-73 sequence, all three 57 models used spring #312051.

At the rear, all three 57 models for 1971-74 used the same spring, #424338, while the 54 used 424337.

As for shock absorbers, at the front the 1971-74 models 57 and 57L used part #342176, while the 57R used 342162. At the rear, models up to chassis #9803236 used shock #436383 for the 57 and 57L, while the 57R used #436378. After chassis #9803236, the 57 and 57L used #436417 while the 57R used #436416.

Again, this information came from the November 1973 edition of the Opel and GT Parts Book.

·
Opeler
316 Posts
Think you all covered it, sway bars are the same btw the big difference I believe in the front end is the caster, a lot more than all the other models with that front end. Have a couple in the barn along with the rearends .

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
It was also said to stiffen up the rear end, to use a set of rear springs from a station wagon. I never did that. Back then, 1974, all I wanted was more Power. Then there was the C&R small Cars, and More Opels Catalogues. It was like Christmas had come.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts