Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I just got my Opel Manta that hasn’t been on the road for over 30 years. The biggest rust issue I see is the battery tray and the frame on the driver side. (The battery was still in the car) What is the proper way to restore this area?
Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I put a flat rectangle of steel where the battery sat. Glued it down with silicone. Charles Goin made a repair kit for that area many years ago. He's on this site as Goin Manta. He might have access to a kit. The frame, I have no clue as to a repair. The battery was a common rusted out area due to water build up. It needs to be sealed as it is right over your fuse box. Good luck and welcome.

·
Super Moderator
9,778 Posts
There are a few places overseas that have repro frame rails

·
Detritus Maximus
3,190 Posts
I do believe the Manta has more than one layer in that frame area. Is it rusted above or below where the subframe arm bolts to it?
Any pics?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I see a couple of worrisome spots. I'm sure others will chime in.

·
Super Moderator
14,289 Posts
The model 50 Opels (Manta, Ascona, and Ascona wagon) all share the same basic chassis.

The main framerails are essentially thin sheetmetal covering a 3 mm thick steel U-shaped inner framerail. This inner frame rail extends from just in front of the suspension crossmember to a little past the front jacking points. Water gets between these two layers of metal and it balloons outward from the rust.

Repairs are not necessarily difficult, but they can be tedious and of course dirty. The key is to remove ALL the rust of course. You want to only weld to clean metal.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood
Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Wood Hood Bumper Motor vehicle
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Alloy wheel
Wood Gas Tool Bumper Automotive exterior
Wood Tool Utility knife Knife Kitchen utensil
Yellow Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Snapshot
Motor vehicle Hood Yellow Vehicle Automotive exterior

1 - 8 of 8 Posts