Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
heres the 72 Manta Rallye i've bought from Bottles. decided to move into the nissan crowd. decided i didnt wanna drive my S10 till the GT is done again so as of monday, this car will be legal and a daily driver. been beating it around the backroads the last week or so with no problems. interior could use some work, rear quarters are shot, altho i've sourced replacement panels already, pretty cheaply too. just has weber and pertronix, but have a header to put on it. just fixed the exhaust that was already on it and put a raptor muffler on it so its quiet enough to keep cops at bay, and took wheels off my GT for the time being, altho it has the origional rallye wheels already sandblasted and repainted. rest of car is pretty solid, jackpoints have no rot, just one has surface rust thats no big deal. everything works, real fun car, altho a 4 speed in place of the auto would make it much funner to me. its not really anything special but it will be one day.

Another opel saved!!! :)

Attachments

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
@ this rate jared you will have owned all of the opels in america by the time you are 25 :D keep up the good work

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
nice find!!! those things are harder to come by than a Gt these days.. after seeing calvinns manta, it really made me want one.. it would sure beat a nissan sentra as an every day driver.. great find... and the interior in the picture didnt look bad at all.. great car...

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks baz and billy. took maybe 3-4 hours to get it to where i thought of it as roadworthy. it really helps having reputable people own it before i, such as stephen and gary, they know what they're doing so i didnt have all of the "PO NIGHTMARES". front bumper and mirrior, and then its a trip to the secretary of state. if the GT isnt done for carlisle this is what will be there, wont be pretty but its blitzed!

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
It's not a GT!

Traitor! Turncoat! Sellout!

Er! Wait a minute - it IS an Opel

....and it is quite nice

I want one too!

Jealous now!

:D

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks jim,

i'll just send it over to ya with the rest of the stuff :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
Jared - Just thought of something. Don't know if Stephen changed out the radiator or not. Someone had poked a hole in it before I got it and the radiator shop blocked off 2 or 3 tubes when they fixed it. It should be ok but keep an eye on it in the summer.

BTW, Travis also had it for a short time.

Glad to see it getting used.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
rad

I didn't change the rad on the car, but I can certainly bring one over when we got to Carlisle, just in case. Anyway, don't spend any $ on a Rad until after Carlisle, I've got some cool cooling toys you'll want to see first. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Way to go greensmurf. Just got my engine started today after rebuild. It's alive again after 30 years in storage. Keep up the good work. You just might become the top opel mechanic. Thanks for your help in the past.

·
583 Posts
Congrats on the Manta.

Hey Jared,

Nice going on that Manta. Good luck on the fix up. Still have any intersest in the white one? Just letting you know that it's still out there.

Take it easy.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
dave:
still searching out through shipping. sammy dont have any runs your way in the next 3 weeks or so. by no means hold it if somebody else is interested, but next time sammy has a route that way i'll post you the money and have him snatch it up.

put front bumper back on it, mirriors, got a sterio put in it. leaks oil and the front of the head where it meets the timing chain cover, just like they all do. been keeping an eye on the temp, and it never gets more than 1/8th inch away from the blue on the guage, which really surprised me cuz that radiator doesnt look well at all, its been hit twice it seems.

any tips on evicting mice besides shavings of irish springs soap? dont much care for the smell myself but nobody else minds it.

pretty much lost hope in the GT being done for carlisle, it may make it but i doubt it, so plan on the fugly beast being there in may!

2 more days till i'm driving BLITZED AGAIN!

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Jared, don't forget that low temps on the gauge are worse than high temps. If the needle doesn't seem to be moving, and/or there is no heat coming out of the heater, there very well may be a coolant leak and as a result, there is no coolant passing over the sensor, and if there is no coolant passing over the sensor, there probably isn't much passing through the motor.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
brian,

its full and is staying cool, and is honestly the first car out of 19 cars in all that actually has a stinkin heater!!! not even my winter beaters have heaters.

·
583 Posts
Engine temp.

Jared,

Does the gas gauge work as well? Have you filled it up and checked that the fuel level is at or at least near full on the gauge? The Manta has a voltage reducer that controls the voltage to the fuel level and engine temperature gauges. If that's flaky, those gauges do not read correctly. I had a reducer fail once and it told me the engine was overheating when I new it had only been running for 2-3 mins. Check to make sure the fuel sender is good by filling up. If it doesn't read close to full, you may have a bad ground at the gauges or a faulty voltage reducer.

The white Manta will be here if you want it. Just let me know when your buddy is headed this way. No advice on the anti-mice device, haven't deal with that one before. Good luck with that Manta.

·
Opeler
754 Posts
Jared,

Check your thermostat. If you're not running up toward the middle of the temp. range it may be stuck open. The one on my Manta was when I got it. Not good to run too cold. The Autozone by me had the t/stat and gasket in stock - cheap. Service manual says to use a 189 degree t/stat. I think your choices are 180 or 195 at Autozone.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the temp guage may be flaky but i think the fuel guage is working well. when you turn the key on the needle stays out of sight and hardly moves out of the blue. when you turn the key on the temp needle should move to the lower edge of the blue shouldnt it?

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
got the Manta legal today. made a 40 mile trip with it, no problems. filled up the gas tank so i can see what kinda mileage it gets. the manta seems a little rougher riding than the GT is, but it puts my GT to shame in the corners, and thats with same tires the manta has, and GT has front and rear swaybars too. gonna go over it and check some more stuff that i havent looked at yet.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
now you know why the went from transverse leaf to coil springs :D

must admit it was a big shock when i got my gt as the other opel i had had was a manta A and it felt like it was broke after the manta

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Is that your '65 or '66 Chevy Impala Convert. in the background of the first picture in the first post?? Just wondering! :D

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thats dads 66' impala convertable. bought it for 600 bucks 2 summers ago and thats what it looked like 6 weeks later after new fenders, quarters, door, and trunkpan. still got the little 283 with a powerglide.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts