Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Opeler
382 Posts
I would think that it would be easier than putting an SR20 into a GT. You should have a bit more room for the turbo setup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a bit difficult to get my hands on a Opel GT in Serbia, and even if I find one it would be a wreck.
I thought the Manta was wider than the GT ?

·
Super Moderator
13,616 Posts
I would think that it would be easier than putting an SR20 into a GT. You should have a bit more room for the turbo setup.
Yup, lots more room under the hood compared to a GT. The issue with a Manta is that the suspension crossmember is directly under the front of the oil pan area. So for an SR20 swap you need a rear sump, or cut the firewall and set the engine back +/- 10".

·
Super Moderator
13,616 Posts
any other difficulties except the positioning ?
I don't think anyone here really knows. No one has come forth and done this swap, so it is uncharted territory. I personally know the SR20 engine from FWD Sentra (Pulsars/Sunnys), and from Silvias/200SX with RWD.

I even know Opels fairly well...:yup:

But I don't think anyone here has combined the two. So it seems you will be the first one here to do this, then perhaps you can report any difficulties and nuances installing it?

Bob

·
Registered
106 Posts
Does anyone have some info on how much work has to be done for a SR20DET to Manta A swap ?
hey i'm sort of in the same boat there, just i'm thinking of putting the CA18DET in!
i just bought a manta A 1900 auto last week. ( first opel i've owned )

i don't have the motor & gearbox yet, but i've owned a nissan 200sx s13 before and have work on the motor before.

i've heard people say that the turbo is a problem because it sits by drivers side LHD, but
i'm lucky there cause my manta's RHD, and i can get the turbo manifold that house the turbo above the manifold opposed to the std manifold housing the turbo below it!

i also just want to check out location of the motor with regards to the cross member!

·
Registered
106 Posts
i was checking it out today and i think i might have an idea for the swap.
looking at the cross member and the location of the std 1900 the cross member is a bit foward from the centre of the motor but the main thing is the steering rack is mounted to the front of the cross member!

this got me thinking if it's possible to move the steering rack to behind the cross member.
okay the steering rack-ends & steering column will have to be modified but it could work.
the front axles shouldn't be a problem if they get switch let to right so that the brake callipers sit towards the front of the discs.

then remove the fan from the engine and mount an electric fan with a blowing rotation to the front of the radiator, leaving more room for the motor to be positioned so that the oil pan clears the cross member.

but i'm no opel expert and will have to do more reseach ( strip the 1900 out my manta and check measurements and locations and see the pros & cons )

anyone with suggestions and/or info with regards to moving the steering rack and if it will/won't work,
please let us know.

·
Super Moderator
13,616 Posts
anyone with suggestions and/or info with regards to moving the steering rack and if it will/won't work,
please let us know.
You can relocate the rack from front to rear, but when you turn your steering wheel to the left the car will turn to the right! You need to install a 'rear steer' rack which will turn the correct way for rear-mounted steering arms.

·
boomerang opeler
5,629 Posts
don't think you can swop the "Axel stubs" side for side as it think it would effect the ackerman angles and the car would drive like a greasy weasel

you would need to mod the ones on there right sides and move the eye for the track rod end ( don't think i would like to ride in a car with this mod btw )

you may well find it easier to swop the whole assembly for one from another type of car

if you do the mod to the originals then i would look on e-bay for a right hand drive ( UK spec) steering rack to make the right and left turn go the right way after turning over

·
Registered
106 Posts
hi RallyBob, thanks for your info... just wanna ask if the way you mentioned is with rotating the rack left to right so it still mounts to the crossmember?

i was thinking if the rack could be moved behind the crossmember with out rotating it and make up a new mounting brace for the rack then the only modification would be to shorten the steering column shaft and maybe have longer rack ends depending on location of the rack?

hi Baz, what are the ackerman angles? i thought if i swap the stub axles around it wouldn't effect anything, just the eyes would be behind!

thanks again for your input, i will need to do a lot more technical reseach on my wild card ideas...

hey but there's that saying " EXPLORE THE UNEXPLORED"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts