Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
Greetings All - Good news regarding the Manta dealer option stripes. The graphics shop that's doing the reproduction has just acquired some new high-tech equipment. My Manta stripes were the first job done on this new equipment. In short...the reproduction stripes will now be a one-piece kit as opposed to the two-piece kit previously planned. What does this mean??? It means the stripes will be exactly like original equipment where the lettering is silk-screened on the stripe. It also means the lettering will not leave white marks on the black background when it's scuffed in a parking lot or by the handle bars of your son's bicycle. (geez I'm starting to sound like a salesman here) Anyway...the guy says, if you request it, he can still produce the kit in a two-piece format and/or without the Opel lettering for those of you interested in the pre-75 stripe only. The "SPORTWAGON" decal has also been reproduced in case someone is repainting their wagon or wants to make their 74 look like a 75. Also...in case you didn't know, these stripes were offered as a dealer option on ALL 75 models...not just the Manta. The kits are in the mail now and I'll have them with me at Carlisle if anyone wants to see them before you commit. An alternate format stripe will also be available as a white stripe with black lettering. (like yours Alan) However, that format will only be available in the previously mentioned 'two-piece' format. Finally...if anyone has rare GT and/or European graphics, or a blitz sticker they'd like reproduced, now is the time to act. Contact Stripeman Graphics at 1-800-952-9688 and ask for Kevin Messina. See you at Carlisle!!

Mod Edit: Moved to Manta Forum

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are stripes in US any different from the ones in European Mantas?

I'm asking this because I saw a Silver American Manta and the Stripes looked a litle different from what I've seen before. The stripes I saw on an european car were slightly curved near the front. I thought this made the car a litle more agressive :D.

Which stripes were you refering to?

Thanks,
Ricardo Diz

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
74 & 75 Only

The stripe kits that have been reproduced were offered on 74 and 75 model years in the US. They have been reproduced as a black stripe with white lettering (two-piece kit) or a white stripe with silk-screened black lettering. Since the black stripe is a two-piece kit...it can be used with or without the lettering as it was offered in 74. You can see a photo on this thread: http://www.opelgt.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=2662&highlight=Reproduction+Stripes
I think you're correct...there was a significant difference from the Euro versions. I don't think the "SPORTWAGON" decals were used in Europe...but they're also available. -SD

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
Manta stripes

I think you probably saw the attached picture. It's a Manta GT/E, which was the Euro version of our Rallye, with the different stripe and a chin spoiler

Attachments

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very Close

Apart from the lettering...the biggest difference I see is that the Euro stripes were a little wider and they were applied above the factory pin stripes whereas the US version was below the pin stripes. I image the US stripe also could be placed higher up on the sides. Might look even better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not quite what I had in mind

I was refering to the stripes with no lettering at all (sorry, I don't have any pictures here). My issue was the front part since, in one of the pictures the stripes go down I little, or so it seems. Besides that, I was indeed aware that the stripes from the US units were a little larger.

It may be a totally different issue, but I have another question regarding colors. I know that Manta SR's have black stripes an are painted black above the motor. What about the back part? I have seen in some pictures Mantas painted black around the back optics and license plate. How many combinations of these details there were for the Manta SR anyway?

Thanks for clarifying this for me :eek:
Ricardo Diz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts