Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright,
I've been debating with myself about upgrading to the addco sway bars for my 74 manta. I'm pretty happy with the handling of the car, I have so far been unable to get the tires to break lose when throwing it around corners, and I have been fairly agressive (205/60r13 sumitomo htr 200 on 6x13" wheels-amazing difference over stock!), but there is a quite a bit of lean in hard corners that i could do without. When I upgraded the bars on my 740 turbo volvo it was like night and day (btw most people have no idea how fast those cars can be!). So, has anyone put these bars on their manta, -any impressions or comments? is the ride quality noticably worse?are the poly bushings worth it? Is there a significant improvement in handling?
Thanks in advance-I'm trying to decide before the prices are raised on the 20th.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
O.K. now I'm confused,

I just measured the bars on my car and the front is already 7/8" which is the same as the addco bars-I thought the addcos were supposed to be stiffer than stock? the rear stock bar is quite a bit thinner than the addco 3/4" however. Kevin, Are you running no front bar on your ascona with one on the rear? I thought sway bars had to be upgraded as a set, but it seems that with the addco bars they only really upped the specs on the rear. I'm going to give them a call to sort this out but It looks as if there is no point in putting in an after market bar that has the same specs as stock. Maybe I'll just upgrade with their rear bar, I'll let you all know what I find out.

·
Kick a little asphalt
1,485 Posts
The front Addco bar is an add on bar. You install it in addition to the stock front bar. The rear Addco bar is a replacment bar for the stock unit.

Duane

·
Registered
39 Posts
MantAscona said:
The front Addco bar is an add on bar. You install it in addition to the stock front bar. The rear Addco bar is a replacment bar for the stock unit.

Duane
Is this a FRONT Addco swaybar???
http://members.roadfly.com/fosters.3/asconaaddcobar.jpg
I had to remove this added on sway bar when I received my Ascona from CA. I removed the 2.2L FI exhaust manifold so I could put the 1.9L Weber manifold setup on. The bar was in the way. I'm considering reworking the exhaust so I can reinstall this swaybar.

·
Kick a little asphalt
1,485 Posts
Yes, it is an Addco front bar. The brackets at each end attach to the stock bar near the lower control arms and suspend the Addco bar beneath the stock one. The brackets on the straight section attach to the unibody frame rails via U-bolts that pass through the frame rails. If the exhaust is a stock configuration and size you should not have any clearance problems with fitting the add on bar as it was designed to fit that application. I have used them on several Manta's and Ascona's over the years without any fittment issues. They do make a noticable improvement in handling. However, I have always used a custom mounting method as I never liked the set up that they provide with the kit.

Duane

·
Kick a little asphalt
1,485 Posts
I like to use a stronger method for mounting the front bar. For the rear mounts of the front bar I fabricate a "cap" for the frame rail. I use a peice of C channel with aproximately 3/32" wall thickness that will wrap around and capture the frame rail. I drill two holes in each cap for the mounting studs. I plug weld the studs in the cap so the back side is flush and will sit flat against the frame rail. This will also allow the bushing holder to sit flat against the front side of the cap when assembled. After the caps are made, I weld them to each frame rail where the bar will mount. This allows for a strong solid mount that will distribute the stress over a wider area and the strongest part of the body. It also eliminates the drilling of holes in the frame rails which weakens them and allows water, dirt and road salt to get inside the rails where it becomes trapped and rots them. The Addco kit supplies U bolts that fit through holes you drill in the floor and frame rails.

For the front mounts of the front bar I use collar clamps that fit the diameter of the stock bar. These are a steel two peice clamp that is two half round peices that bolt together with two bolts. One half has two clearance holes and the other has two threaded holes. They use allen head bolts so that the head is countersunk into the clamp. I weld a good quality heim joint, or rod end, onto the half with the clearance holes. That way the bolts go in from the bottom side allowing easy unobstructed access to the bolt heads. After clamping the collars around the stock bar, the heim joints hang down and align with the mounting holes in the ends of the Addco bar. Then just install a grade 8 shouldered bolt with washers and nylock nut. Be sure to use a shouldered bolt as these bolts are subject to shear stresses. I like to use a bronze bushing in the holes of the Addco bar to prevent binding and wear.

This method provides a very strong installation that will allow the bars to work properly. It also eliminates the soft bushings on the front of the bar which allow body roll as the bushings compress. If you choose to employ this method be sure to use quality components and someone with proper welding skills! And do so at your own risk. While welding, I also seam weld the rear sway bar attaching points to the body as they are only spot welded by the factory. I have ripped them out of the body before I started welding them.

Duane

·
Kick a little asphalt
1,485 Posts
My car is stored for the winter so a photo is not possible right now. However, I did a real quickie drawing of it in Microsoft paint and attached it here. It's not pretty, but you should get the idea. Please note that in the drawing, the hole in the clamp and the hole in the rod end are aligned. I did this to make it easier for you to see what I meant. In reality, when you make the set up, the holes are nearly 90 degrees out. I hope this helps you.

Duane

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think I got it now! Especially the part that the 2 holes are 180 degrees from one another(wait! did you mean 90 dgrees?). I'm gonna stare at it awhile and do some thinkin'. My car is out in its' shed, but tomorrow I'm gonna swap it with the BMW 2002, and pull it into the heated garage for the rest of the winter (where it shoulda been all along!).
That collar...now what could I use that's already machine like that? I think I've seen something like that in the marine industry, around a prop shaft (& no it was NOT a zinc annode).

·
Kick a little asphalt
1,485 Posts
Yeah, I meant 90 degrees. Thanks for catching that. I guess that's what happens when you try to think after an all day Christmas shopping marathon. Those collars are available at most industrial supply houses like Grainger and McMaster Carr.

Duane

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
McMaster-Carr

Page 1025 in the McMaster car catalog.

Go here: http://www.mcmaster.com/ and type 1025 into the search bow on the upper left. Depending on how wide and what material you want, $5-18 each. Check the previous and next few pages for wider clamps or even metric ones by toggling the arrow at the top of the page.

McMaster-Carr is truely one of the best companies I've ever dealt with. Last time I ordered from them on a Sat. evening the box was here Tuesday morning. I've never even heard of anyone being dissappointed by them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts