Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 418 Posts

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you havent heard, we are planning on a Big Meet at Carlilse for 2006. This was in the plans before a National Meet idea was coming to play. If we can get something offical, then this more than likely will be the 2nd Annual OMC National Meet and 10th Anniversary of Opels at Carlilse.

The event will be May 19th-21st 2006

For past info and to register later in the year go to:
http://www.carsatcarlisle.com/

The Club Hotel will continue on:

APPALACHIAN MOTOR INN
1825 HARRISBURG PIKE
CARLISLE, PENNSYLVANIA 17013
(717) 245-2242

Tell them your with the Opel Club

There will be a change for the Club this year. In a effort to avoid confusion. Once online registration is up for the Meet, we will be registering as the OMC.

Things to still take care of:

Friday Dinner - Middlesex Diner (next to hotel)

Friday events (Evening cruise?) - If I could get some of the locals in the area to come up with museum (doesnt have to be a car museum, just something interesting, especially for those not from the area). The idea is that we could start a day ahead of schedule. Instead of Friday being spent waiting at the show field we will have a sandwich board telling of our events. I am thinking of a 1-2pm drive in our Opels to a museum or local attraction, followed by a evening cruise of the PA Countryside.

Saturday - Show day

Saturday Dinner - Current idea after calling all the resturants in the area is to contact McKays Cave and have them offer the club a limited menu. This would help his staff in the kitchen and waiting staff. To avoid the problems from last year. The big problem we have with resturants in the area is we are competing with this weekend being the college graduation weekend so resturants are booked and busy. McKays has a great location, the food is good, and the owner very friendly. The Bonus is that its not a place families would go after graduation so its avialable.

Sunday - Instead of everyone leaving on Sunday, I was thinking of a Poker Run in the morning that ends somewhere we can get Lunch and give prizes for the best hands. Then we would head to the 4pm car giveway at the showfield.

Because if things go right the Give Away car for next year at Carlilse will be a 1974 Opel Manta.

Still have a lot of calls to make and things to get into order.

Charles

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
autocross too?

Sunday mornings after the show in Carlisle there has usually been an autocross event too, which might be a lot of fun too. Just something else to consider.

·
Super Moderator
13,845 Posts
Charles, sounds like you are really trying to make next year a banner year at Carlisle. Let me know if there's anything you need help with.

Bob

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
GoinManta said:
Friday events (Evening cruise?) - If I could get some of the locals in the area to come up with museum (doesnt have to be a car museum, just something interesting, especially for those not from the area). The idea is that we could start a day ahead of schedule. Instead of Friday being spent waiting at the show field we will have a sandwich board telling of our events. I am thinking of a 1-2pm drive in our Opels to a museum or local attraction, followed by a evening cruise of the PA Countryside.
We could cruise over to the Gettysburg museum... it's pretty cool with lots of parking.

·
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds like a fantastic idea. I will look into it.

Bob, Having you there would be a boost in attendance ;)

But Gil is getting behind this and will be putting fliers on teh show into all his boxes for the next 9 months. Making this potentionally as big as the OMC picnic this year if not larger. Because one thing noted over the years at Carlisle verse the OMC picnic is East Coast Opelers tend to travel further. I think the Mojave desert might be part of teh reason for southern LA>

Charles

·
1000 Post Club
1,409 Posts
definately going to try and make it, hopefully i can get the manta all done, or atleast driveable then, since im taking it apart this winter

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Hmmmm...now is probably the time to make THE choice......
Do I bring the super clean '72 German spec Ascona A 1.6, do I try to work a major resto over the winter and bring the '80 German spec Ascona B 2.0E, or do I resurrect "Green Eh" with the 2.0 16V in it?
Decisions, decisions, decisions......I'll have to have another beer and think about it some more..... ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,845 Posts
Rionart said:
Do I bring the super clean '72 German spec Ascona A 1.6, do I try to work a major resto over the winter and bring the '80 German spec Ascona B 2.0E, or do I resurrect "Green Eh" with the 2.0 16V in it?
Decisions, decisions, decisions......I'll have to have another beer and think about it some more..... ;)
Bring 'em all Robbie, bring 'em all..... :D

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
RallyBob said:
Bring 'em all Robbie, bring 'em all..... :D
Hell Bob....it's going to be bad enough getting one together...I really don't want to do another '1 week resto' like I had to this year with the B'speed.
Derek has just got himself (he says it's for his girlfriend...yeah, right!) a rather sweet GT,and wants to convoy to Carlisle, so I don't think I'll be trailering next year, which means I'll need little things like working brakes :eek:
It also looks like I might be changing jobs soon (Hello St. Louis!), which will put a whole new twist on things if it happens!
I thought about the logistics of moving 12 Opels and assorted other vehicles for about, oh, a nanosecond....then decided it was easier on my sanity to keep homebase in Toronto...lot's of details still to finalise, but it looks like the frequent flier miles are going to be stacking up!
Whatever happens....I know Carlisle will appear on the calendar quicker than I can say "Noooooooo......it CAN'T be next week!!!!"

·
Registered
616 Posts
if i can get the brakes, paint, glass and interior done, and have it on the road, i will be there... sounds reasonable to me

i was trying to get there this year without an opel... but it just didn't work out

and if the car isn't done by then, i'm sure i could help you take a second opel down Rob :D

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
simplemind7 said:
and if the car isn't done by then, i'm sure i could help you take a second opel down Rob :D
Awww Crap......I have to have TWO ready now???? :D

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Rob;
Tell you what, I'll solve this all for you. You bring the Ascona down. I'll come up and get the Green Eh and after Carlisle, I'll bring it down to GA and pop the 2.0 in my Wagon! How's that....hmmm, didn't think so...LOL!!!! :D

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
Rionart said:
Awww Crap......I have to have TWO ready now???? :D
Maybe three? I was just thinking that if I flew into TO (on a cheap WestJet flight!) and my big brother in Cambridge didn't mind the company, I could "borrow" one of your Opels to drive down along with him (and you, of course!) along side one of his big Healey's. But if not, maybe I could just bring one of his cars (he has two AH 3000's restored and a AH 100-4 in progress). Hmm, didn't happen this year, but we DID get to the OMC Picnic. Dare to dream, Billy, dare to dream...

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
kwilford said:
Maybe three?
I see how it goes.....kick the guy when he is down, eh!!! :)
One day I will have at least 8 of the Opels fully roadworthy.....it will be about 6 months after I win the lottery!!!!

·
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rionart said:
Just don't bring that ugly P.O.S. broadspeed ;)

Actually I think the Ascona B would be refreshing to see for everyone. Especailly al the new Opelers that havent seen it. That and trailer the 72' Ascona A.

BTW Did I mention I guarntee good weather for the show.. ???

·
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
http://www.gettysburgfoundation.org/plan-a-visit-1.htm

Just checked and Gettysburg is a fairly cool hilly drive (about 35 miles) south of Carlilse fairgrounds.

Looks like a great fun thing to do Friday, and since I havent had any other suggestions I will consider this what we are doing Friday.

If a local (John maybe) could figure a good route for the poker run on Sunday that would be awesome.

Talked to Carlilse, and they are going to put the GT and/or Manta on the dash plaques, etc... and may even print up commerative card decks for the poker run. Still no hard confirmation on the Manta as the give away car.

Charles

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Well, it sounds like I may have a project date to shot for on getting my GT running and moving. If not I will see if Gene needs an extra set of eyes on the road up to Carlilse.

Who knows by then gas maybe $3.50/gal. I am sure there will be a lot more car pooling then in the past, if that is the case!!

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Rick;
You're more than welcome to ride "shot gun" with me. I don't think it'd take too much arm twistin' to get Dieter to go this time, especially since he still hasn't wiped the grin of his face from buying that Manta Rallye. :D :D

·
Opeler
176 Posts
Ok OK Im in, this year was great even tho my 71 and 72 GT's were not ready. I will try to have one done on time, now that my new 30 x 40 garage is done I will have some space. Hey Rob, where my engine we talked about? lol

Tom Fuchs

1 - 20 of 418 Posts