Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody has successfully or has done some research on swapping the 90-93 1.6l or 94-01 1.8l mazda Miata engine. I have done a little reasearch, but just mainly on hp/tq ratings. It just seems to me since this is a RWD application with either a 5-speed OR 6-speed (2000 and up) from factory; and this car has a small engine compartment like our GTs this would be a good swap. You wouldnt have to re-route the cooling lines like the transverse engines. It also is a distributorless engine, which seems to be better suited than some of the transverse engines mounted to RWD applications where the distributor is pointed directly to the firewall. I guess the main issue would be the fuel injection sticking out the side and hitting the passenger side of the car. Just wondering?

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
other options using miata parts

If you do get a miata transmission, there are a couple more options as well, for fitment or economy. The Ford Festiva 1.4L motor made by Kia uses the same bell housing bot pattern and was available both carburated and injected, distributor-less or conventional ignition. Also the Kia Rio 1.5L motor is a great running DOHC motor with the same firment as well.

Both motors are great runners, typically over 35mpg, and considerably less expensive than the Miata ones due to application. Sure you're right back to adapting a FWD motor, but there might be some brackets and such that actually work better that way, you'ld have to look. Food for thought?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Miata swap

I am actualy doing this swap right now the engine will fit perfect but the coil packs may need to be relocated "no big" and the CAS "Cam angle sensor" would be in a very dificult place to reach depending on how close you mount the engine the the fire wall.
i am currently rebuilding mis. parts like suspension, on the front so the engine is not in yet. "wile the engine is out i found it enjoyable to clean every thing and install new brake lines" "also sugest powerwashing, some sanding, and rino line the bottom" my swap is a 1994 miata 1.8l i also need to locate a transmissoin before i actualy fit it in... ill just wait till i get my taxes back...
i came accros the idea that the OEM opel engine mounts and brackes work great with minor modifacation.
hope this helps
ps... wiring's no fun,
i suggest getting a complete parts car because im scavanging for lots of mis. parts that i had forgotten but its coming together.
hope this helps.

·
Detroit,where my home was
2,994 Posts
I am actualy doing this swap right now the engine will fit perfect but the coil packs may need to be relocated "no big" and the CAS "Cam angle sensor" would be in a very dificult place to reach depending on how close you mount the engine the the fire wall.
i am currently rebuilding mis. parts like suspension, on the front so the engine is not in yet. "wile the engine is out i found it enjoyable to clean every thing and install new brake lines" "also sugest powerwashing, some sanding, and rino line the bottom" my swap is a 1994 miata 1.8l i also need to locate a transmissoin before i actualy fit it in... ill just wait till i get my taxes back...
i came accros the idea that the OEM opel engine mounts and brackes work great with minor modifacation.
hope this helps
:confused: Were are the photo's, scetches, drawings??? we need info!!!!

ps... wiring's no fun,
:eek: Why not, I like doing wiring, and not because it's my daily job, you just have to take your time, and have, what you want to do on paper and do only one line [electrical] at a time

i suggest getting a complete parts car because im scavanging for lots of mis. parts that i had forgotten but its coming together.
hope this helps.
:D Good luck

·
Registered
34 Posts
Miata Swap

i posted some pictures in my gallery.
My opel is at the Vo-Tech college in Emporia KS.
The engine is not in yet but i am working on it, still...
You can see some of the spray i put in the engine bay the duplicolor bed coating is tough stuff when it dries...
i advise against anything labeled ruberized..."i got it from wall mart" big mistake in my opinion it peals off like gresse.
About the wiring has any body used a wiring harness from a different car in there Opel? for ex: i have an 89 geo metro can i convert the harness from it to the opel? or would it be better to use a universal wiring harness?
like this one on ebay?
eBay Motors: RAT ROD HOT ROD DRAG CAR UNIVERSAL WIRING HARNESS (item 230074409714 end time Jan-07-07 19:45:23 PST)
just planing ahead... thanks

·
1000 Post Club
1,409 Posts
talk to charles aka goinmanta...he has harnesses that seem to work really well for the opels, and also has made some wiring diagrams as well...search for EZ Wire Thread, and that should help you figure out what he has to offer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
miata swap

I am 90% sure it will fit without hood mods. If i remember correctly the orginal opel engine was the same size or a bit bigger i think it was taller actualy ill look at my notes and post the mesurements when i find time maby tommorow then I will let you know....
Another thing to think about is what miata engine you are using i believe they are the same height but the 1994+ 1.8 is longer that the 1.6.
i never made many mesurements because ive seen this engine used in a locost so i became determined to make it fit.
can anybody grab the mesurements from an orginal opel engine? height-width-length?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Miata Swap

Ok sorry it took me a wile... a long wile.
Total measurement wide or side to side from intake manifold to exhaust manifold is about 20" down at the block it is about 10in wide the engine itself is about 26" long and about 23" tall from bottom of oil pan to top of valve cover. These are all about I did not do any fine measurements. Anyone have the measurement on the opel engine? I don’t think putting this engine in is a problem at all, just waiting for my tranny to arrive :sigh: then ill be mounting it in. Cant wait....:D I also have a machinist building me a pair of tubular lower control arms. That has little to do with the topic but just wanted to share. My project is moving slow but I am happy as long as its moving...:cool: so I have a good picture of an opel in my gallery of what I use to want it to look like, but plans change any objections to flat black the entire car? yea

·
792 Posts
Anyone have the measurement on the opel engine?

I have one on an engine stand right now and when I go home from work I will measure it

·
Registered
23 Posts
miata engines

FWIW, I'm currently looking for a decent, minimal rust GT to do a turbo miata engine in. Miatas are all my company does and having owned three mantas as a kid, I figure it's time for a new project, not that I'm short of projects, building a westfield and an airplane and doing an engine swap in one of my old racebikes. Any Miata specific questions, feel free to email me. or if you happen to have a GT you're trying to get rid of.

·
199 Posts
flyin miata eh?

Is this keith from flyin miata? I have delt with you guys with my miata. I am also active on the miata.net forums.

Maybe somthing you can think about..I have a 1970 kadett wagon with zero rust and 14k origional miles on the thing. It weighs in less than the Gt and comes with a roof rack and origional hub caps. Might I mention a bigger engine bay for the turbo BP engine!?! (gonna have some real trouble with a gt's engine bay...maybe a hotside?)

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Betta,
No, not Keith, this is Bill, his boss. As I look at more pics of the GT underhood, I worry about the height of the valve cover on the Miata. What does the wagon weigh?
FWIW, I've only had Mantas. Last one twenty five years ago had dcoes, header, sb chevy valves, cam, gt pistons and solid lifters, lightened flywheel, etc. Scheel seat, too.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The Miata engine will fit quite well without major mods to the engine compartment sheet metal. Just remember the frame rails on a GT are approx. 20" appart and you will have to shave down the area where the steering shaft comes out.

The problem areas are:
1) All of the additional stuff you have to install for the turbo and the exhaust.
2) You will need a bigger(better) fuse box.
3) You will mostlikely have to re-route the steering bar.

The above are just a few that come to mind, we did a swap using a Ford Z3 engine which is about the same size as a Miata unit. Car was very mean when done but lots of work to do.

·
199 Posts
The gt has a confined space and sheet metal cutting will have to be done. The wagon on other hand has a engine compartment the size of a manta! The gt weighed in at close to 2100 lbs with out driver where as the wagon weighed in at 1970lbs. Pm me if you want some more information.

·
Registered
1 Posts
starting this now

I have just started working on this swap. I picked up my donor car last night. a 91 miata 1.6L 5 spd. It has a little over 60K mines and runs strong. the Body is gone as it was rear ended. I've begun my mesurements, but it's still very cold outside in CO so I'm anxiously awaiting spring.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Miata Swap

Glad to see im not the only one doing this swap... well i got my transmission. after 3 trys at Auto Zone for a Throw Out bearing (Old one broke and seized) i went to Orillies and got it in one...funny miatas use the same Throw out bearing # from 91-03 but i got 3 different incorect ones... that was frustrating im also short a couple bolts for top of transmission but thoes are no problem to get. 12x1.5 i have hopes of starting the drop in today wish me luck. ill post pics later...
also so areas ill worry about later
Shift linkage
Option 1 hydrolic clutch? how would i install the clutch cylinder ill serch that...
Option 2 can i cable operate it?
Speedometer cable
Option 1 there are universal cables on ebay but require ends
Option 2 just go to Flying miata my have one $30 last i checked i could recrimp end of opel speedometer cable to speedo...
Drive shaft... still thinking on that one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
GRRRR Miata Swap

Ok well all original thoughts out the window. What I thought would fit easily turned out to be a very frustrating mess. After removing many unnecessary parts, I finally decided to do the right thing. Engine must go in threw bottom... I had to try putting it threw the top. It looks snug I got the cherry pick away and its being held in place by an engine stand by top of car. ok I am finally starting to see my many mistakes (listen to you elders) my original motor mount idea would have worked but the engine is two far forward, the oil pan is directly in way of the original motor mount carrier? (Forgot what to call that thing) also the engine may sit too high to clear the hood I may get a lot torch happy... my hack saw cant keep up... the big problem is that there is only so many things I can cut off.
My thoughts the original radiator location I may move forward for a little extra engine room also moving the shifter location forward because it’s about 4"in past the original hole. Later

·
Non Civilian
2,102 Posts
Make brackets for the radiator and mount it in the nose at a 30-45 degree angle with an electric fan. This has been done in my dads race GT. You'll have all the room in the world.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.