Certified Opelholic
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a Megasquirt yesterday or i should say i got this

1 Megasquirt kit
1 flyback board kit
1 Megasquirt stimulator

started on it at work today 8 1/2 hours later i am like 1/4 finished

I am beat, the Power supply check is done and I am getting ready to do the Serial Comm test.

i had to stop off at radio shack on the way home and buy a USB to RS232 cable, 9 V Batt and some heat sink compound (we call it monkey snot at work)

still need to find out more info on the Megasquirt (bought it off a guy on another forum)

not even sure what version i have but i down loaded the Mega Manual (it says for Version 2) and it seems to be working

I could not find instructions for the simulator anywhere.

then i found them on page 4 of the MegaManual ha ha

I started reading the instructions after that.

Well, round two tomorrow wish me luck.

Davegt27

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Good luck, keep us posted, I'm curious how it works out.

·
Certified Opelholic
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finished day two and the Megasquirt is almost all put together

The kit I got did not have the case just the two end pieces.

So every thing is together but without the case. So far its checking good.

I had to down load this "Megatune" software which is pretty cool.

Also the simulator is fantastic, it uses a 9v batt.

What it does is simulate the car. The simulator has adjustable pots for RPM, O2 sensor, IAT (intake air Temp), TPS (Throttle Position), ect.

I just had it all hooked together and the Megatune shows all the outputs.

The Radioshack USB to RS232 cable works fine.

I still have to figure out if I want to set it up for the Opel or the Toyota MR2.

I have this Book How to tune & Modify Bosch Fuel Injection and I am hoping it has the info I need.

Well, back to work tomorrow I get to do the Relay board.

Davegt27

·
Certified Opelholic
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A few PICS showing the Megasquirt next to a MR2 FI case.
This later L-jet FI case is smaller then an Opel case so it would fit no problem.

Had to stop the buildup of the flyback board because I got a call saying my 2.2 was at the shipping company. I will finish it up on Saturday

Also on Saturday I will try to dig up a FI wire harness.

Sorry for the poor PICS i keep buying car parts instead of a decent digital camera.

Davegt27

·
Senior Contributor
5,046 Posts
Got my MegaSquirt stuff yesterday 10/17/06. HAD to build something last night so I built the stimulator board, took me about 1 1/2 hours. The kit is excellent, board is well layed out and the parts are all marked in separate little bags. I used to build custom stuff from schematics, but this is a no brainer, even if you don't know anything about electronic parts you could build this kit. Toughest circuit board I have ever worked on though. The solder lands on the backside are extremely small and require a soldering iron with a tip the size of a sharpened pencil. Fortunately I had one in my "electronic toolbox" so I was all set. I did have to use a file and put a chisel point on the end of it.

Attachments

·
1,973 Posts
Thats some tricky soldering! Jeff I will definatly get a hold of you when I build my megasquirt set up.

·
Senior Contributor
5,046 Posts
Finished the relay board last night, only took about an hour. Had to use a 30 watt iron with a larger tip for most of the work because the pins on the sockets required more heat than the small components. This one is very easy, no instructions necessary.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,840 Posts
Finished the relay board last night, only took about an hour. Had to use a 30 watt iron with a larger tip for most of the work because the pins on the sockets required more heat than the small components. This one is very easy, no instructions necessary.
Out of curiosity Jeff, how did you end up jumpering the IAV circuit? I haven't decided what I'm going to use for fast idle yet...so I purposely left the jumper alone for the time being on my relay board.

Bob

·
Senior Contributor
5,046 Posts
I didn't connect it yet either, but I looked at the schematic and it seems pretty simple. If the IAV is designed to have +12V run to it, then naturally you would have to connect ground to make it operate. Personally, if I have a choice when I get that far, I think I would prefer to run a hard ground to the IAV and then switch +12V to it through the relay board. Seems as though it would be better not to have another "hot" wire sitting there all the time that could possibly short to something. Since the IAV is only active for a short time, the wire running to it would only be hot when needed. Make sense to you?

·
Senior Contributor
5,046 Posts
Completed MegaSquirt with Stim connected and running MegaTune on my laptop.

Attachments

·
942 Posts
MSI v2.2 building finished!

Hi to all,
I've finished building my Megasquirt I v2.2 ECU,
Including the relay board, flyback board & stimulator.
All test check out OK uptill now with the stimulator,
I will swap this ECU with the one already working on my race car for final testing.
Many thanks to DIY Autotune,
All the kits are very straightforward & user-friendly,
A great pleasure to work with for beguiners like me!
Hiro

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
With winter coming and still no sign of when I'll actually be moving, I decided to bite the bullet and become familiar with the Megasquirt system. I placed my order yesterday for the ECU, megastim board, CLT, IAT, and O2 sensors, and all associated wiring/cables. I've already spent considerable hours of my life soldering, so I opted for one of the new fully assembled units with all surface-mount components. I want to get this up and running on a stock 1.9 using the '75 FI manifold with a Sentra TB. I have some specific questions for the others on here that may be using the Megasquirt system:

1). Is anyone here running a similar megasquirt-based EFI setup on a stock opel engine? If so, I'm hoping they might be willing to share fuel maps - it'd be a very handy starting point.

2). Regarding the IAT, will I need to get a bung welded on to the manifold to use DIY Autotune's GM open-element sensor? I think I remember seeing Bob using a similar sensor on a cut-down 3.0 manifold, but it was powder coated, and with Bob's welding skills it's hard to tell whether he was using an existing bung or whether he welded on a bung. I'm doubting I'd be lucky enough to be able to use an existing hole. Jeff, I don't recall seeing the IAT sensor on yours - I'll go back and check again.

3). Regarding the CLT, I went with DIY Autotune's closed-element GM type IAT/CLT sensor. Has anyone else incorporated this sensor into their setup as a CLT and if so, where did you place it?

4). Would it be best to get the ignition or FI up and running first before fully incorporating the megasquirt? I don't know that I'm brave enough to tackle both at once.

5). For Jeff (markandson) or anyone else that's using the IAC block from DIYAutotune that incorporates the Jeep IAC, is it working well for cold starts?

·
Senior Contributor
5,046 Posts
1). Is anyone here running a similar megasquirt-based EFI setup on a stock opel engine? If so, I'm hoping they might be willing to share fuel maps - it'd be a very handy starting point.

2). Regarding the IAT, will I need to get a bung welded on to the manifold to use DIY Autotune's GM open-element sensor? I think I remember seeing Bob using a similar sensor on a cut-down 3.0 manifold, but it was powder coated, and with Bob's welding skills it's hard to tell whether he was using an existing bung or whether he welded on a bung. I'm doubting I'd be lucky enough to be able to use an existing hole. Jeff, I don't recall seeing the IAT sensor on yours - I'll go back and check again.

3). Regarding the CLT, I went with DIY Autotune's closed-element GM type IAT/CLT sensor. Has anyone else incorporated this sensor into their setup as a CLT and if so, where did you place it?

4). Would it be best to get the ignition or FI up and running first before fully incorporating the megasquirt? I don't know that I'm brave enough to tackle both at once.

5). For Jeff (markandson) or anyone else that's using the IAC block from DIYAutotune that incorporates the Jeep IAC, is it working well for cold starts?
Both Bob and I welded aluminum bungs into the manifold for the IAT sensors it is documented in one of the threads I don't remember if it is the EFI 2.2 thread or the MegaSquirt thread. I bought the bung from McMaster.com

My CLT sensor is part of the original 2.2 injection system, I am having a difficult time getting the curve correct, it would be much easier to use the one you bought, MegaSquirt is setup with default values that work perfectly with the GM sensors.

Don't be concerned about going after the whole enchilada, it's not that hard.
What type of ignition will you be running?

The Jeep IAC has been a real PITA to get working and I don't have it correct yet, but I am close. It is not starting that is the problem it is getting a consistent idle from cold to warm. I can help you with the 4 wires if you need it, it took me quite some time to figure out which one went where on the MSquirt. When you get into programming I am sure that I can help.

Did some searching and found this in my EFI 2.2 thread

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Thanks Jeff. I figured I would have to have a bung welded onto the manifold - I just need to find a welding shop that will do it.

Glad to hear you're coming along nicely with your megasquirt system!

Todd

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Stepper motors are fun to play with.
GM homes them one way Ford another and then the step child "cry sler"
On the outside they look very simple a couple of magnets and coils ..Hee Hee

1 - 15 of 15 Posts