Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1971 Opel GT
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been able to find information on disassembling a steel vapor canister for a GT. It appears that the end is fastened onto the cylinder with the rolling method used to seal canned food. Also, it appears there are 2 levels of perforated disks that hold the charcoal in place. Has anyone come up with a method to take these apart with the intention of reusing them? I have seen mention of using activated charcoal meant for an aquarium as the medium. Any other ideas? Thanks,

·
Registered
392 Posts
One end pulls out. Use a White 3M Scotch Brite pads cut to size to hold the charcoal pellets in place. 1 piece on the fixed end, charcoal pellets, (can be activated charcoal for aquariums) then 2 Scotch brite pads on the end you pull out. I will see if I have one I can pull apart and take photos. You need a total of 3 round disk cut out which will require 2 White scotch brite pads you can buy in Lowes or Menards in the sandpaper section.

·
Registered
3 Posts
JaysPA, Keith is correct I decided to cut mine apart to see what was inside. Step one was where to cut it. I decided below the vent holes , so it was decided the cut would be at 2".
Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Rectangle Auto part

I did this by going to the local plumbing shop and they had a pipe cutter. They attached it to the cannister and after a few gentle passes the cannister was cut in 2. NOTE: I made them aware that it would be full of charcoal and to be careful so that it did not explode on them. The plumber had a rag under it just in case.
Automotive tire Electric blue Circle Soil Font

At 2" it separated the top and bottom perfectly. There is a divider that you take out of the top and it exposes the top plate with a metal clip
Food Truffle Fruit Circle Pattern

Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Circle Auto part

the other end had a longer stem inside the charcoal.
Automotive tire Gas Circle Auto part Metal

I decided I shuold make some new screens for my charcoal so it would stay in. I went to my local dollarama and purchased a frying pan splatter screen. I put the upper divided on the screen and traced it 4 times (2 for top and 2 bottom). Cut the screen with a pair of scissors.
Gas Font Gadget Technology Electronic device

I purchased my charcoal off amazon.ca. It is a marine charcoal used for fish filters. $18.99 CAN The 10 ounce size was great right
Camera accessory Rectangle Liquid Cameras & optics Font

Amazon.ca link

I placed the filters on either end and filled the bottom up full. Put the top back together and then used a piece of black duct tape to secure the to end together. Then I found a clamp at my local NAPA store which would go around the canister and could be tightened. In the future I can also take the canister part to change the charcoal.
Hand Gesture Finger Thumb Wood

Tire Automotive tire Finger Wheel Gas

Once secured, I am using the original canister clip to put it back into the car.

Hope this helps everyone.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1971 Opel GT
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have finished work on my canister. I had a spare which I dissected and made this sketch. At the open end, there is a perforated, domed steel disc which is not removable. I cut the canister open in the area that is covered by the clamp so the seam is hidden. This allows you to remove the old charcoal and the inner perforated disc and attached filter, This will expose a leaf spring which puts pressure on the disc. At the upper end, there is the outlet tube which reaches to the center of the charcoal filled cavity. This has a nylon sock type filter, similar to what would be on a fuel tank supply line. It does not appear to be removable, so since it was intact I kept it. At the top of the inside, there was a thin foam filter attached to another perforated steel disc, which is not removable. There also appeared to be another foam filter in the cavity between this disc and the upper end of the canister. The fumes from the fuel tank and the carb (if used) would enter thru this cavity. Since there were 2 items which are not heat resistant, I gave up on my idea to podwer coat the canister. I also used very fine stainless steel mesh filters to replace the 2 thin foam filters. I used activated charcoal for fish tank filters which was formed in small cylinders rather than the crushed charcoal as original. I used a strip of steel from the donor canister as a weld backup on the seam when I tack welded the canister halves back together. This will strengthen the area where the clamp tends to crush the cylinder. I used Rustoleum Hammered silver paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have not been able to find information on disassembling a steel vapor canister for a GT. It appears that the end is fastened onto the cylinder with the rolling method used to seal canned food. Also, it appears there are 2 levels of perforated disks that hold the charcoal in place. Has anyone come up with a method to take these apart with the intention of reusing them? I have seen mention of using activated charcoal meant for an aquarium as the medium. Any other ideas? Thanks,
You may consider using an aftermarket charcoal filter such as this one: Vapor Trapper - Fuel Tank Vent Line Charcoal Vapor Filter

I've used it on several custom vehicles that wreaked of gasoline. After installing this, zero smell of gasoline. You can replace the charcoal medium anytime you desire which is a plus. The filter itself is very high-quality from what I can tell, highly recommend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts