Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
preformance adder

One of my friends came up with this idea and i would like to get a littel feed back on it before we try it. his idea was to mout a small tank of methanol conected to an electric fuel pump and a pressure regulater that would spry into the top of the air cleaner through a fogger nozzel . i thik this would burn up the rings but he says that it works fine on his pickup.
Any feed back would be welcome. please e-mail all ideas to [email protected]

·
Registered
141 Posts
While it works, it's actually slowing down yer buddy's truck...

Methanol has a lower heat value than gasoline. The reason Top Fuel racers and race motors use it is to gain compression - you can run up to about 15:1 compression (depending on motor setup) on methanol and still not preignite.

I'd have to do a dyno simluation, but a 100% methanol motor makes about 15% less power than a gas motor at the same compression ratio.

If you don't believe me, go find a gas station out in the sticks that's selling a 90/10 (gas/alcohol) blend and run that thru your motor. It's the exact same thing, except it's premixed. The motor should make 1-2% less power on 90/10 than on a good grade of pump fuel. On a stock car, this shows up in fuel economy - you have to burn more fuel to go the same distance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts