Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
the Swap

i tried this swap... unfortunatly i stalled, gave up and joined the military...
but from what i remember there was a small issue with the oil pan and the engine mounting brace, and the width was only a slight issue... i think both stock intake and exhaust manifold fit but you have to install them after the engine is in or do some cutting maby both... also it may be of slight intrest to know i maneged to drop it in from the top... i do still have a few pictures in my gallery, it looks nice i just never finished, now i have not given up on the opel i just gave up on this swap i lacked too many parts, such being a donar car, you however should not have a problem there, as far as the demension you want i dont have but the shifter was about 6" further back with the engine as far back as i could get it, dont quote me but thats a wile back and my memory is fuzzy...also coil packs are in a bad spot...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sweetstreet, where would I find this gallery? Kyrasis6, I guess we're talking semantics. When I think of a bellhousing swap, I think of a separate bellhousing from the trans, not integrated into the case. The automatic miata trans is set up with a bolt on bellhousing. I believe you are correct that the guts can simply be swapped between the cases on the five speed. Thanks for the info. And yes, we've been into plenty of Miata trannies, we build them with the Quaife innards for the high hp cars. But we only work on Miatas, so we've never bothered getting into swaps with other Mazdas.
Cadence, thanks for that dimension, I'll double check when I get to work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Jtb, Thanks for the pics! Same idea I was after, but I was just moving it forward to use the rear holes on the turret going to the front holes on the trans. You went much farther, I like it.

·
531 Posts
You're welcome. I put the small 12A engine quite far back in the engine bay for better weight distribution, so my shifter had to move forward a lot. You might not have to go to this extreme with the miata engine.

BTW, I have heard many favorable remarks about your company from Mazda afficianados over the years.

Cheers,

jtb

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks, JTB, we try. Now that we're doing the LS conversions there are more spare four cylinder parts around, so what better way to use than in a MOPEL.

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks, SweetStreet. I finally got to work this afternoon, went to work and pulled the drivetrain out of the red roach. Unfortunately the camera battery died before I got the engine out, but here a couple of pics. Red car is a total roach, had a tree fall on it ten years ago and the tree was left there until the next owner sawzalled the top off. I'm practicing on the red one, then if it all works, I'll dive into the mustard/baby poop one, which is in nice shape. Note the airplane on top of the dyno room in the background! It's waiting its place in the project line.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So, here's the Miata gearbox next to the Opel drivetrain. Big difference in length, but the Miata engine is 3" shorter and I can move the Miata shifter several inches.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Back to work! Lowered the car over a miata engine sitting on Miata subframe just to see where we are. One big issue is the width, it's hard to think of Miatas as big cars, but it's huge compared to the GT! If I *can* make the Miata subframe fit, I'll need some high numerical offset wheels to get them in the fenders. Also, the mounting points for the subframe are way wider than the existing rails. Open to suggestions!

·
531 Posts
Back to work! Lowered the car over a miata engine sitting on Miata subframe just to see where we are. One big issue is the width, it's hard to think of Miatas as big cars, but it's huge compared to the GT! If I *can* make the Miata subframe fit, I'll need some high numerical offset wheels to get them in the fenders. Also, the mounting points for the subframe are way wider than the existing rails. Open to suggestions!
As mentioned, fender flares might be an option. I don't know if you want to attempt to narrow the miata rear... I thought of running a miata rear end, but I couldn't find a wrecked one at a reasonable price.
The high offset wheels idea is what I did to make a BMW unit fit without having to narrow it. Also had to move the mounting points in on the moustache bar.

jtb

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks for the replies, guys. Any suggestions on flares? I *may* go with an RX7 (first gen) solid rear axle. I tried to put pics in the last post, I'll try again here so you can see what I'm up against. Also, the mounting points on the Miata subframe where it bolts to the chassis rails sit outside the Opel's rails.

Attachments

·
531 Posts
Opel GT Source sells flares.

I'm sure you already know, but for rx7 first gens, the best is probably from a GSL-SE (rear disc brakes and (I think) limited slip). I just happen to have one I was going to use, too bad you're far away. BTW, it is wider than the GT by about 4.5"

jtb

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Very cool. I'm guessing you could have trimmed out less with higher numerical offset wheels. When you say stock offset, do you mean stock opel offset? What did you use up front?

·
Super Moderator
1,791 Posts
All I had to do was remove the bell housing, tail housing, and shifter feet off the miata transmission and put my pickup truck counterparts right on.
I'm pretty much positive you are not using a Miata manual trans, picture of mine below. Bell-housing is not removable.

Attachments

·
Not So Newb Anymore
342 Posts
Ok any progress on this swap. I am looking at the same sorta swap. My biggest concern was the engine fitting in between everything with all the accesories on it. From the pic FlyinMiata has up it looks like a daunting task.

With all that said I would love to see some more pics and here some more on this.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts