Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 145 Posts

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
www.frankenmuthautofest.com

i tend to forget to paste my links when i'm worried about a teacher seeing what i'm doing:lmao:

lets get feedback to what people think....

·
Opeler
21 Posts
Gang; A couple of months ago I became curious enough to go through the Opel List and found that there were 42 people registered from Michigan, I personally know of 3 others not on the list with Opels within 25 miles of Chesaning. There has to be enough interest for a club to meet from time to time. Jim

·
Curve Crazy GT
399 Posts
cooool

Hey count me in on this michigan club. i think a meeting would be awsome! i have yet to see another opel exept one driving down here in the southern detriot area:no: . but that just means my car get even more looks:yup:

thanks
chris

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
the ball seems to be getting rolling a little slowly.... what is a good time for people to actually meet up, then we can decide place, its open for ideas. maybe a gathering on a weekend in april sometime, maybe early may? i'm getting another GT in february or march (as soon as tax returns show up)....and maybe a meet would be good before carlisle, so those of us that are going can be sure our cars are ready for the trip as well. hopefully i'll be trusting the "new" GT to make the 700 mile trip, and 700 back plus the driving down there, either way i'll be no worse of going in that GT than i would the manta rallye i took earlier this year:lmao:

·
Opeler
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Gang; I think the people planning on attending the first meeting should give us a location of where they are at so we can plan to meet at a central location. Please reply. Jim

·
Opeler
747 Posts
I'm interested, depending on when/where. I've been to Carlisle and Springfield twice so I'm sure I can get to somewhere in MI. All depends on timing since I'm on vacation a lot during the summer.

Don

·
Opeler
120 Posts
I would be interested in a meet in the summer. I am planning on going to Carlisle, with or without GT, maybe with or without wife & child. It would be first long trip with child.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
me and mike are in the kalamazoo area on a map. i know mike and don are near the detroit area.

·
Curve Crazy GT
399 Posts
im also in the detriot area, more southern detroit. but i would be willing to take it anywhere in michigan because i allready took it cross state and back so i think the ol' GT up to the challenge.:yup:

·
Senior Contributor
874 Posts
Count me in!

I am in the NE Detroit area, near Mt. Clemens.

The only challenge in the summer is working it between Soccer with my son and Horse Shows with my daughter, but I would LOVE to attend.
Steve

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey everyone in MI--I have been absent for a while--it hurts to view the Opel stuff on-line when I have put the Beauty to bed in another city and can't even go see it...
Anyway, a Michigan Opel Fan Club is a great idea--however, I am in Houghton in da U.P., eh? and it is a mighty long stretch from here to Lansing or even Mt. Pleasant. Hows about a compromise meeting place like Gaylord??? Look at the map--450 miles to Lansing, at least! Not to doubt the intergrity of my Beauty but I haven't owned her long enough to know if she could get from here to there without a hitch. (Hey, was that an auto pun???) Guess I could bring my favorite mechanic (my son) with me as insurance....
You know I would just love to host a gig up here and we could go drive US 41 all the way up to its source in Copper Harbor--driving thru mountains and spectacular Lake Superior views ain't bad for a celebration ride. I even know the Chamber of Commerce Prez (my husband) and they could give us some press for the event. We'd even make it on TV as I am "in" with the television station--used to work there. A get-together of Opels would be a first in da U.P., eh? and would be just great!
What say you? Am I just whacked or what for suggesting this?
Jo Anna
PS--nice to see/hear your familiar posts again. (tear slids down her face...)

·
Senior Contributor
874 Posts
Opeling in Da UP, Eh?

I would LOVE to cruise around the UP in the GT. It would surely be beautiful. I wonder if I could talk my wife into a 9 hr drive in the GT? I think we would all have to install 5 speeds for the trip. 9 hrs at 4000 RPM would be a trip. Maybe it would promt me to install a quieter exhaust... :yup:

We could probably get press all the way up there if we traveled in a pack.

My wife would tell that is an awfully long drive to meet some strangers, what if you didn't like each other? I figure if you have an Opel, what's not to like?!

Let's do it!

Maybe later in the fall though. I would want to get one other closer meet in first.

·
Senior Contributor
874 Posts
How did you end up in the Netherlands? Are you ever coming back?

·
Detroit,where my home was
2,896 Posts
My parents immegrated to Michigan in 1956 or 1957 and came back to Holland in 1969, I was almost 11 then.
My jongest brother and I were born in the States, and our brother between us in Holland. [Parents went back to Holland between 1958 & 1960]
Comming back, to visit yes, in time I will, but to live I don't know [it's been almost 37 years], I'm 47 now and jobs are not avalible in great numbers I think.
If I wasn't married there would have been a bigger chance because of the bad economy and slow pikking up of it in the parts of Holland where I live.
but I do still think about it!!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Fall is, of course, spectacular in the Keweenaw Peninsula of da U.P., eh? and US 41 is an amazing drive to its source. I understand if the new Club wants to meet more centrally downstate--it is the way with all things in MI. Heck, some people "down state" think where I live is part of Canada!

·
Senior Contributor
874 Posts
Most people don't know...

Most people don't realize how big our state is. I just did a yahoo maps to see the driving distance to Carlisle, PA from my house. It is 492 miles. Out of curiosity, I did the same to see what the drive would be from my house to Houghton, MI just in case we really do try to get up there this fall for a get together. 543 miles!

Darn pretty drive though!

·
Detroit,where my home was
2,896 Posts
I can remember a vacation once to the UP, I think it was an 8 hour drive from Clawson, my father got a speeding ticket on the freeway about half way :lmao:

21 - 40 of 145 Posts