Opel GT Forum banner

121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
Just got back in from the garage. Nice $%#% snow storm again, so of course I'm thinking car meet. When where? More than one is good by me.
We have a car show every Sat. night right down the road from me in a big parking lot. Usually get about 40 cars, very laid back and low key but a great bunch and nice mix, hot rods and classics. I'm trying to entice a few Opels over here to my hometown, I'd be proud as a new poppa. Not sure when it starts but it runs all summer. It's here: http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=16445405
There's also a Metro cruise http://www.28thstreetmetrocruise.com/
This thing is so cool you can't believe it. Cruise up and down the strip all day with thousands and thousands of the coolest cars and people in the world. It's HUGE and most groups find a lot to serve as HQ and hang out, drive, hang out, repeat as needed.
There's also an ice cream place that has a low key car show every Thursday evening all summer, that one is cool too. Dairy Ranch in Dorr, MI. C'mon spring.

·
Curve Crazy GT
399 Posts
A meet would be awsome! Id probly be there for sure.

The ol GTs starting to leak oil pretty bad..:banghead: pretty soon its gunna be time for a complete over haul, mabey next winter tough, if she holds out, but ill run it into the ground!

·
Opeler
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Hudsonville. cruise

This sounds great. You need to set up a tenative date, maybe in June, or better yet a couple of dates and see who is interested and can make it.I'm a 100 miles away and quite interested.Sounds fun to me.How about more info. Thanks Jim:cool:

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
These are just your typical "cruise in" type deal of which there must be dozens any given night of the week all summer long.
Hudsonville thing is every Sat. night from about 5:30 until dusk. Sometimes, if the weather is nice, there's 100 cars, sometimes only 30. I say June 9, just throwing it out there.
The Dairy Ranch thing is similar but on Thursday nights and usually larger a bit more "organized" I only went there once and they had someone trying to put cars in some sort of groupings, not that it matters. Is is here:
Dairy Ranch
1717 142nd Ave
Dorr, MI 49323
(616) 681-9732

The Metro Cruise is absolutely huge all day thing and boggles the mind. I had a '68 Cadillac convert and the family and I cruised up the strip for about 1/10 the total distance (about 10 miles long), traffic along the strip was insane, nearly every parking lot was full of every possible grouping of cars you can think of. They've only done this 2 years and it's rapidlly turning into one of the largest classic car events in Michigan. Not sure of this year's date, has been in August the last two years. It would be cool to have an "Opel spot" and hang there come and go all afternoon, maybe take a little tour at some point, then return to the lot.

·
Senior Contributor
874 Posts
Let's do it.

I would like to have a meet and see everyone. I was so motivated last year, and was supposed to have a cool new motor done. I haven't done anything to it, it is exactly as she was last year.

I do, however, now own about $1500 in engine parts and machining. I just have to assemble the darn thing. How about a spring project? We can meet for a full day, build my motor, and do an engine swap! Then I can drive home with my new motor! while a couple guys pull the old engine, a few others could put the motor together, then everyone could help insert it again!

:)

Anyway, last year I just picked a spot close by me and a date, and we ended up with a pretty good turnout and some great, and not so great cars (mine!). It was early in the season last year. Maybe we should wait until May this year.

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
Don't know if you'd want me anywhere near your motors but I'd certainly do well standing in the back cheering you on while I drink a beer.:veryhappy

Whatever works out. I took mine out today, roads where dry (well, mostly) and I had a nice little cruise. I'm tempted to take her into work sometime soon, better judgement says SHUT UP, but I've learned to ignore "better judgement" he's no fun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Michigan gathering?

I may also be interested in a Michigan gathering of Opelers, after I get it running after a stock rebuild. Are there good shops in SE Michigan to get help on mechanicals for these great cars? I've got a 70GT, Nassau blue with white interior.

·
Curve Crazy GT
399 Posts
The shops around me seen to be afraid of my Opel. before my dad started trusting me working on my own cars, id take it to a shop for something to be done, id come pick it up and they tell me it was fixed, but dont bring it back here again.. haha.

Im up for a meet anytime!:D

·
Opeler
175 Posts
Ive been busy upgrading my GT all winter,so with a little bit of luck, by this weekend Ill be able to "kick the tires and light the fires":yup:

Ill be up for a meet soon after that!

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
Yeah, me too. That car show in my town started up last Saturday night, 5:30-sunset every Saturday night. I took my GT there or a few minutes, was about 20 cars there. Very laid back. Anyone want to hit that one sometime? Usually some hot rods, some classics and a bunch of Vettes, occasionally an exotic shows up. I'm pretty much good for that one any Sat. night since it's about 1/2 mile away. Hudsonville, between Grand Rapids and Holland.

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
Bump

What about it? When and where?
That every Sat. night thing by me would be fun.
This Sat. is Carlisle (but I'm not going so I'm willing, 16th, that's THIS Sat.
Next is Opels in my Yard near Indianapolis, hate to draw away from that but it's a bit far for me so I'm willing on June 2
June 9th I'm out of town.
after that, well, whenever, pretty much wherever too although the farther away it gets from me the less likely I'll be able to swing it, but don't let that stop anyone from setting something up, ideally we can do it several times over the summer. I'd like it anyway.

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
I've to the Hudsonville cruise several times lately. Again tonight. Anyone need a last minute destination on a nice early summer evening, here ya go. See ya there.
5:30-sunset.
Give a shout if you're coming and I'll be sure to hang around, otherwise I only stay a little while.

·
1971 Opel GT
380 Posts
my gt is completely stripped down and waiting for me to replace the cam lifters and probably more in the engine. whoops.

I've gone as far as to rip the entire interior out and i'm just starting over from scratch. i'm afraid it will be years before it is even running agin, much less road worthy.

·
1971 Opel GT
198 Posts
Michigan opel club wants you!

Hello Michigan, thought I'd bump this thread up again. Anyone interested in meeting up come Spring time? I don't have an Opel yet, so I feel like a tourist a little bit, but I plan to have one by Spring so I've got good intentions! Well, mainly I've just got a really bad case of Opelitis. So sound off Michigan! We can hang out, drink something cold, and look at cars!

Maybe I'm just full of P and V because I'm new, or cabin fever since it is only JANUARY :banghead:, but it would be cool to put together an active group here in Michigan. I've poked around a bit on the OMC website, looks like there is (was?) a Michigan OMC chapter in Grand Rapids. Anyone know if there is anything still going on with that?

P.S. Any Opelista not in Michigan but near Michigan, or wanting to come to Michigan...you're welcome too!

·
Opeler
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
K1400 and all; was just in contact with BOBCGT and we want to meet in the spring. We are in the Flint- Saginaw area. Maybe we can meet in a neutral site. Keep in contact, maybe the winter will pass quicker. Jim

·
1971 Opel GT
198 Posts
I emailed a bit with jvandyke over by Grand Rapids, he said he might be interested. I'm in St. Clair Shores, but if I'm in a GT I don't mind driving!

·
Senior Contributor
874 Posts
I'll keep checking back. It would be good to get it out of the garage this summer...

121 - 140 of 145 Posts