Opel GT Forum banner

101 - 120 of 147 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,624 Posts
It all sounds very do-able. Only two things stand out to me.

To pass federal standards, the side markers must be reflective, and forward facing signals and marker lights must be yellow/amber. Red is illegal except for rear lights. I think you'd get pulled over a lot for that.

HTH,
Bob

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
RallyBob said:
It all sounds very do-able. Only two things stand out to me.

To pass federal standards, the side markers must be reflective, and forward facing signals and marker lights must be yellow/amber. Red is illegal except for rear lights. I think you'd get pulled over a lot for that.

HTH,
Bob

I could probably outline the marker lights with a reflective tape and lay a light coat of paint over it, then clear it all. I'll have to play with that idea abit and see what I can come up with.

As for the front lights, I can use a dark Smoked lens and back it up with intense amber bulbs, it would be amber when lit.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
How 'bout something like a "one way mirror" for tail light lenses? Reflective outside yet light passes through from the inside? I think that's been done before.
I like using strobes for turn signals. They can mount slightly out of sight but when they flash they are sure very visible!
Check out my work truck, pictured after a snowstorm halted a GT project, in my photo gallery. Tail lights are pretty well hidden but they are LEDs, twelve of them in fact. It is very bright at night...
I have to do some pretty neat lighting jobs on customers' trucks. I'm into it! :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Considering what Bob said about the reflector lights, I started looking around for a way to make them reflective. I did a few searchs and came up with the stuff they add to paint to make the lines in the road reflective. Maybe using very small amounts in the clearcoat over the lens would make it reflective enough. At $26.00 for 6 pound bag of "beads", I will give it a try.

For that matter, maybe after the paint is done, I could use a very light amount of "bead" in the clearcoat and then in large 12" letters write "Opel GT" on each side. And the Opel Emblem in the center above the plate in the rear. You wouldn't be able to see it in the day light but it would glow at night.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Tonight I liquidated a vehicle to make room for the GT. If all goes well Stephen should be here Monday with the GT. I now have garage space for it when it arrives. I sold a 72 Chevy K-5 Blazer. Last time I drove it was around 92. I had mixed feelings seeing it go.

I attached a pic of it, as it was headed out.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I just spoke with Stephen, he is at Bob's house in Conn. He will be leaving there and heading to my house tonight. He planned on being here tomorrow but because we are expecting snow tomorrow he desided to come a day early. Of course I have no problem with the GT getting here a day early :D So sometime tonight, probably after 11pm Stephen and I will be unloading a his truck. I will post pictures later tonight of it's arrival, if possible.

·
Super Moderator
13,624 Posts
Tire Fryin GT said:
I will post pictures later tonight of it's arrival, if possible.
Here's a teaser for you then:

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
NICE, Quite a tease. I am already chomping at the bit as they say.

Thanks for the Picture update !!!!!!

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
All Right! Looks like we're ready to kick off this much talked about (what, fifteen pages now?) and anticipated bad boy hot rod GT project! Something tells me this one is destined to be the most radically customized GT yet.
To all who don't approve, remember what West Coast Choppers' Jesse James said when they were making a figure eight racer out of a gorgeous 72 SS El Camino. "We're gonna get a lot of hate mail, but remember; every one that gets cut up make the rest of 'em that more valuable..."
It's a shame it works like that, but, as my kids say, "whatever..."
Let me help you, Rubberburner, listen please! Get it on a chassis jig before you cut anything, OK? Improvising anything else will sacrifice accuracy!
:cool:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
The GT is here safe and sound. At a glance in the middle of the night I could see bondo in several area's of the car. The strange part is upon further inspection it seems to be all metal under the bondo and no rust. It will be interesting to knock off some of the bondo and see whats under it.

I can't say enough about Stephen (oldopelguy). He delivered the GT here a day ahead of schedule. He arrived at 11:15pm and left at 12:45am after we unloaded it. He is now on his way to New York. He arrived early because of the threat of Snow for Monday.

Saxybiker, Sorry about just leaving you in the chat and not saying bye, But the GT was here !!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
I went to the DMV on Monday to see about a vanity plate for my GT. They were closed, Duh it was a holiday. I saw a thread this morning about vanity plates so I went again today to check on a vanity plate. The one I wanted, a guy previously had but he let it lapse and was now available. But I didn't want to register and insure my GT for it to sit in the garage for the next year or two. So I got the plate for my daily driver and when the time comes I will transfer it to my GT.

Can Anyone name the Make, Model AND Year of what it is sitting on in the picture?

Attachments

·
boomerang opeler
5,629 Posts
harley / fatboy and 05?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
baz said:
harley / fatboy and 05?
Harley, ok Obvious :D

Fatboy, Might have been able to read the "Fat" on the air cleaner cover, But I will give you that one. ;)

05, That was strickly a guess. There are year specific parts that are a dead give away. And 05 isn't it :(

Excellent try !!!

·
boomerang opeler
5,629 Posts
thats 1905 mind

about the last time they were updated :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
I checked out an Ecotec engine on Monday night and purchased it. It is not going into my GT, I still need to find a donor car for that. But it is going into a jet boat I am building.

How does this relate to the GT you ask?

I plan on using this motor to test various mods to the Ecotec that later will be used on the Ecotec in the GT. The object is to build the motor with a turbo and custom fuel injection. I would like to produce over 350 hp.

The turbo I am considering is a Garrett T-3. I was thinking about using the megasquirt fuel injection ECU but it currently doesn't control timing. The new Ultramegasquirt is suppose to have ignition control but it is not out yet. So for now I will build it with the stock ECU and wait until Ultramegasquirt comes out.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Today I put a deposit down on a 2004 Cavalier with 8,230 miles. The car is a rear total which is ideal as a donor car for my project. Now I am working out the details on how to get it home. It is near Pittsburg, PA.

I have also been collecting parts for the project, like a power steering rack, LED lights and a turn/brake signal controller. I am currently looking at a turbo kit for the Ecotec also.

I have been porting an extra Ecotec head I have. The ports have alot of obstructions and I expect to gain a lot when done porting and polishing. I will also be flowing the head to see what kind of increase in CFM I obtain. See attached pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Today I made arrangements to have the 2004 Chevy Cavalier donor car for my project delivered from PA. I also purchased the Turbo kit for the ecotec that will be going in the GT.

Side note regarding eBay's second chance offer system. I bid on a Turbo kit and did not win the item. After a couple hours I recieved an email offering it to me under eBay's second chance offer system. If the winner of the item fails to pay and the seller offers it under the second chance offer system, the price is set at the MAXIMUM you bid. But if the original winner had not bid at all then you would of won the item for the next bid price up.

For example. The item is at $1000 and you bid $1500 but the other guy has a higher bid than you and wins it at $1550, but desides that he no longer wants it. The second chance offer system then offers it to you for $1500. But if that guy never bid, you would of won it for $1000.

The current system seems to be wide open for fraud. A dishonest person could drive the prices up very easily if he wanted to. This is exactly what happen to me. Now I don't know if that person tried to drive them up or not but I refused to pay an extra $650 because the high bidder backed out. I sent a note to the seller telling them I would take my chances if they relisted it.

The actual amount I would of won the item for was $1025 and the second chance offer was $1655. I won the item tonight on the second auction for $1025.

BEWARE OF THIS KIND OF SCAM ON EBAY !!! I thought I would share this information as it would of been a $650 hit that I would have taken. Hate to see that happen to anyone here, or anywhere for that matter.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Tire Fryin GT said:
I would like to produce over 350 hp...
a friend of mine just got an '05 sunfire with the 2.2L ecotec, and we were looking at turbo options for it, 2 things you need to worry about with turboing it, #1 its a 10:1 compression engine, keep that in mind and #2 we were talking to other people that have made some pretty good horsepower numbers with the engine, and warning: apparently at 283 horsepower (not sure how they got that number) the rods fail, one guy with a little over 300 horsepower said he had all 4 rods fail at once and completely ruin the block, just demolished it and the whole engine was garbage. so you might want to look at replacing them with something that will give you a little less compression if your going to be running some high amounts of boost. just thought i'd share that before you..... ya know, blow up the back end of the GT or something.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
They use a powered metal connecting rod. I plan on replacing the Rods and pistons as well as many other items. The turbo kits typically brings the power up to 225hp and work with the 10:1 compression. To go higher, I will be dropping the compression to 8.9:1. After replacing the pistons and rods, the engine is good to over 400hp then the crank becomes the next failure point. I plan on going to about 350 hp so the stock crank will be more than sufficient. If your friend needs any ideas or info on the 2.2 ecotec, I have gotten to know the motor pretty well.

101 - 120 of 147 Posts