Opel GT Forum banner

121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Tire Fryin GT said:
If your friend needs any ideas or info on the 2.2 ecotec, I have gotten to know the motor pretty well.
where did you get the turbo kit and how much was it? and what other mods are you planning?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Jeff, the ecoGT started the day I posted the first article to this thread. Since that day I have thought about it virtually all the time. I have been aquiring parts and knowledge to get the job done. I still need a junk GT for fitment purposes before I start cutting. If you mean when will I be cutting into my good GT, that still remains to be seen. I have said before and will stick by what I said, I will not cut into the GT until I am 100 percent sure that my plan will work. So I have along way to go, but I have also come along way since the conception of the idea.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Finally an Update !!!

After 16 days of the car transport company having my car in Boston, 150 miles from me, it arrived !!!! What I would do ...... nevermind, think positive.

Here is the donor car with 8,230 miles on it. It has a scratch here and there but otherwise looks brand new !!! HAHAHAHA

May take a few days, but I need to make it run as is, then it comes apart. Overall I am happy with it.

Attachments

·
boomerang opeler
5,629 Posts
i think i've found your inspiration :D
dont think it could be any closer to a rear engine gt if it tried

a vignale 850 coupe

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Too Cool

I just stumbled on to this thread after doing a search on mid engine Manta. I love the idea. I have an extra 74 Manta Ralley sitting behind my shop. I got it as a parts car with no engine or transmission. The interior is trash. I was wondering what to do with it when it dawned on me that I have a pile of parts left over from a 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby. I've got the turbo motor and a 5spd trans. All the suspension, brakes, wiring, and computer. I thought to myself "wow how hard could it be to put that stuff in the back seat?!" Now that I've seen this thread I'm pumped. Keep the info coming.

Bill

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
Sadly this thread hasn't been touched in almost 3 years, and it's been about that long since anyone heard from the original poster. Given your available parts I'd think finding a 4-cylinder Dakota transmission and using your engine mounted in the front driving the rear wheels would be a ton easier, but if you do decide to go for it keep us updated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I didn't know that a Dakota tranny would work! I do have a 568 5spd from a newer Shelby that I was planning on using. How much power can a 4 cylinder Dakota trans take? I plan on doing a 16v hybrid to the 2.5. I've got a trim 50 turbo and intercooler. Using these parts with a Strtus 2.4l head (which I have) should make 400ftlb of torque at the wheels with a good tune on 20psi of boost. At least thats what I read. Thanks for the reply. I'll do some research on the Dakota trans.

-Bill

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
You really only need a certain of the RWD Dakota bell housings, then you can use a bigger transmission if need be. I don't remember all the details, but there are a few swap threads around both here and on other forums you should be able to find with some Google-ing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
It's been a while but the project is still in the works. The GT is safely stored in my garage. I am in the process of trying to find a building to move the project to. Over the last few years I have been collecting parts as well as tools and knowledge. I have a couple projects going that have taken much of my time, such as a complete deck up rebuild of a 25' boat. The boat is nearing completion and the cars will come next. I have 3 car projects going. The 72 GT of this thread with the mid/rear engine conversion. I am also looking for another GT to keep mostly stock and would like to find '69 with the 1.1. I also have a 71 Saab Sonett with 48K miles that I would like to restore as a daily driver.

·
Opeler
1 Posts
2.0 turbo ecotec from the solstice

Has anyone looked into pulling out the 2.0 turbo ecotec from a wrecked pontiac solstice, saturn sky or the new opel gt and popping it into an old gt? Here GM has already converted the engine to a rwd vehicle and it has 260hp. If I had some cash that is what i would do. It has to be more straight forward than trying to convert a 2.2 cavalier engine. I think these ecotec engines are the perfect modern engine to pop in the opel gt. The original ecotecs were designed by opel.

·
Opeler
117 Posts
I will see if this lenear actuator video link will upload like it should.

There are a couple of vids on this car on You Tube. I think that this is what you wanted to do.

Swiss

·
Registered
47 Posts
Funny

It's funny that I found this. I'm actually in the middle of building a mid-engine GT.
I have a 1970 Opel GT and we've decided to go ahead and build one. We are using the original engine (built up a bit), which will also include a turbo. We are using the Getrag F23 transmission, which is the same one shared between the 2000-2005 Cavalier and the Opel Speedster. And, because we don't want to be bothered with any offset of suspension differences,... we've upgraded to 5 lugs, and gone with the Steinmetz fender flares from Opel GT Source. Ours is going a slightly different way, though. We are doing a completely sealed off back, with a firewall behind the seats. A carbon-fiber rear hatch that will also act as a scoop. But the engine and suspension is being mounted to a cage, and that cage will be bolted to the roll cage inside the car. So when we decide to do engine maintanence, we can just unbolt the rear end and lift the body off of it. Alot of the design is still in the process,... but the parts are almost put together. Just waiting for a few more funds to roll in.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hmm,...

I don't know if you're still on your build, but I figured I'd shed some light from how we are doing it.

We did very minimal research on which transmission to use. And we did come to the same conclusion that the Cavalier transmission was best suited. It is small enough, takes enough load, and (the best part) was used in the Opel Speedster. But, we are using the old 1.9S engine from the 1970 GT we are using. The 14-tooth spline matched perfect to the stock setup, and the bellhousing from the original getrag 4 spd mounted perfect. We are getting ready to cut the hole where the engine is going to sit, and we're going to build the suspension to the engine.

As far as the weight balance is concerned, we've decided to take everything that doesn't need to be done by the engine, and move it to the front. This will aid the weight being pushed forward, along with the fact that we can further cool everything, allowing us to run the car a little harder, a little longer.

I noticed a few people mention the concept of the Fiero and x1/9. I actually have a 1974 x1/9 sitting behind the Opel. We're using alot of it's engineering as our concept. And any parts that we can take from it are being used. We just lucked out on that one.

We figured, instead of building the car to fit an engine, we are going to make sure the engine is capable of running outside of the car. Then build the car into good condition. After all of that is said and done, we will test fit the engine to the body, see what needs to be modified, and what we can work with. This way, instead of sketching something and finding out something was wrong, everything is being done right in front of us. Also the fact that we have a certain way we want this car to look, so instead of building and modifying to run, then rebuilding and modifying to perfection,... we can attempt to get it done all in one shot.

We are documenting the entire build, and as soon as we are finished with it I will have a small website so everyone can see what we did, and how we did it. If all goes correctly, this build should be running and being tested in February,... and if that's the case, a daily driver (my poor 300zx needs a rebuild bad).

Our engine is up and running, we're just waiting on my air compressor to get here so we can sand blast the body and get her back into shape. Then it's all build up from there.

·
Registered
419 Posts
to imd240zman

That sounds really cool. I look forward to checking out your webpage.

Good luck to both of you guys doing this sort of extensive re-design!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm a little late to the party here :) I'm from Costa Rica and I'm embarking into this same challenge, making my 1971 Opel GT mid-engined. In my case I will be using a Fiat Engine from a Marea, but the thought is the same. Did any of the two projects mentioned above ever finished? Just looking for inspiration and lessons learned :)

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,160 Posts
Average amount of new members here that say in their first post "I wanna drop a V6/V8/V12/aircraft engine/gas turbine/mid-engine/ ... in a GT": about one a month.
Average finished projects that don't end up with another Opel shell in the crusher: Maybe 1 or 2 in ten years.

I like your enthusiasm, but common math (statistics) speaks against you. No go on an prove me wrong!

Good luck!
Dieter

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Dieter, thanks for your message! I wish I could say I'm your average new member, but I'm really not, I own all sorts of crazy cars and engine swaps is my strong suit, but I guess I will need to prove you wrong :) I will go ahead and start a new thread on my car specifically to report on the progress but I was interested in knowing if IMD240ZMAN or Tyre Frying GT ever finished their projects to get some lessons learned since they have had a head start on me. thanks!

·
Vendor
2,718 Posts
Hi Dieter, thanks for your message! I wish I could say I'm your average new member, but I'm really not, I own all sorts of crazy cars and engine swaps is my strong suit, but I guess I will need to prove you wrong :) I will go ahead and start a new thread on my car specifically to report on the progress but I was interested in knowing if IMD240ZMAN or Tyre Frying GT ever finished their projects to get some lessons learned since they have had a head start on me. thanks!
Welcome!
I always thought this was a really cool idea, and I'm hoping that you have the time/money/skills to make it happen.
Both of those guys you mentioned haven't checked in for years (imd240zman-2013 and Tire Fryin GT-2008) That is not to say that they were entirely unsuccessful with their projects, but chances ae good that they were never completed. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
Also, I would love to see pics of some of your other cars/projects.
Cheers,
Ron in FL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome!
I always thought this was a really cool idea, and I'm hoping that you have the time/money/skills to make it happen.
Both of those guys you mentioned haven't checked in for years (imd240zman-2013 and Tire Fryin GT-2008) That is not to say that they were entirely unsuccessful with their projects, but chances ae good that they were never completed. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
Also, I would love to see pics of some of your other cars/projects.
Cheers,
Ron in FL
Thanks Ron, I haven't been part of a forum for years, so this is fun. I will start a new thread for my build, but I started taking the car apart this afternoon, engine and gearbox out, interior out, rear suspension next.

I have a few Bimmers, Toyotas, Alfas, Miatas, Fiats, etc. I will include some pics when I start the thread.

thanks!

121 - 140 of 147 Posts