Opel GT Forum banner

141 - 147 of 147 Posts

·
Detritus Maximus
2,465 Posts
How big is the Fiat motor/transaxle? Fiat left the US around 1980 and we haven't had Fiats again until 2012 or so when got the Fiat 500 and the Alfa Giullietta (Dodge Dart). They do use the 1.4 Multiair.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How big is the Fiat motor/transaxle?
From the external side of the hubs, wheel to wheel, it measured 150 cms which is exactly the same as the Opel rear. The Engine though is big, it's a transversal 5 cylinder, so making it fit inside is going to be interesting. Making it serviceable is the part that concerns me, I grabbed some of the ideas from this thread already and the plan is to make it easy to pull out the entire assembly, but we'll see. Once I start finessing the engine in place, I guess I will know more.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,465 Posts
Have a look at the Conrero Opel GT's. You could need extra room for wheels/tires. The flares on the Conrero might come in handy. Another thought is to eliminate the rear window and deck (where the fuel filler is) and make that a removable/openable panel for servicing. kind of like a Pantera/Lancia Scorpion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have a look at the Conrero Opel GT's. You could need extra room for wheels/tires. The flares on the Conrero might come in handy. Another thought is to eliminate the rear window and deck (where the fuel filler is) and make that a removable/openable panel for servicing. kind of like a Pantera/Lancia Scorpion.
Those fender flares look great, thanks for sharing. The openable panel would be sweet, I think I will start with making the rear window a hatch and long term I may engage somebody that has more body experience to work on the Scorpion like rear. Thanks!

·
Detritus Maximus
2,465 Posts
You are welcome!
The flares are available from Opel Gt Source in California.

With the amount of structural changes you would be making, the rear tailight panel could be made removable as well.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
At the risk of being pedantic, the GT is already a mid engine design. But this rear mid engine idea is fun. Sure hope it's finished, it would be very interesting to see how it handles. Get it done and get it on a skidpad! Good luck and persevere.

·
Registered
14 Posts
At the risk of being pedantic, the GT is already a mid engine design. But this rear mid engine idea is fun. Sure hope it's finished, it would be very interesting to see how it handles. Get it done and get it on a skidpad! Good luck and persevere.
You are right, it is. I will do me best to get it completed soon...it will all depend on how difficult the structural work is.

141 - 147 of 147 Posts