Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking with all the issues with turboing the car space wise.
why not cut out part of the floor under the rear plank.
then metal box it in from the top.
with the turbo in one side maybe air filter in the other side.
pretty stealthy and reasonable boost.
Megasquirt switchable with or without turbo.

thoughts

·
Opeler
1,124 Posts
I don't believe it would work well if at all, not to mention the extra plumbing nightmare. Big thing is if you understand the physics of how a turbo converts exhaust waste gas and heat into air compressing power, you will understand why I say this.
A link for educational purpose. Thermodynamics section, it is very basic and should help you understand.
Physics of Turbocharging

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I recall seeing pictures here of someone who installed a turbo forward of the radiator. Was that RallyBob?

Others have also done the rear mounted thing. I think turbo lag can be a problem with longer pipes but smaller turbos (or quad turbos :yup:) could help combat the lag.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I recall seeing pictures here of someone who installed a turbo forward of the radiator. Was that RallyBob?

Others have also done the rear mounted thing. Turbo lag can be a problem with longer pipes but smaller turbos (or quad turbos :yup:) could help combat the lag.

·
Non Civilian
2,084 Posts
Mount a radiator at an angle in the nose and install a reverse drive turbo. That is how I am going to do it when I get around to it.

4,231 Posts
Oh,I remember correct! It was offer for €22K:yup:
I think a 2.4 FI Turbo with 198hp bring a lot of fun:drive:

And the Car have the right Color for the Country where came from!

We are RED we are WHITE.We are Danish Dynamite

Attachments

·
Opeler
34 Posts
mid-mount or rear mount turbos are ok in drag racing applications, not for streetability, as said earlier, exhaust heat spins the turbo, thats asking a lot for a little 4cyl opel engine to build that heat/pressure 6ft away from the manifold. in drag race scenario the driver will use a trans brake and more to build boost before launching.

·
Opeler
369 Posts
You beat me to the punch. STS has been around for 15-20 years. From what I understand they work well on V8 cars but those flow a lot more air than a 4cyl and they have plenty of low end without the turbo so are less affected by lag.

Oh, and yes. I had a turbo mounted in front of the radiator next to the battery. I ran it in both a draw through and blow through carb configuration. I can probably dig up some old pictures if anyone is interested.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts