Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
we have one of those fiberglass kit cars behind the barn thats never even been finished, or painted.

·
Opel gone bad
108 Posts
sick

that is fully sick. nice work. freekin cool. flames rule, so do 5 spokers!

·
Detritus Maximus
2,839 Posts
Who's old enough to remember 'SpeedBuggy"?:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
more power

I have a Kennedy Engineering kit to install a GM 2.8, 3.1, or 3.4 v-6 in one of those. Thought it might be fun, but with everything else I have going on....

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
believe it or not, i'm 15 and watching speedbuggy on "cartoon network" as i type.

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Try remembering "Speed Racer", THE ORIGINAL version!

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
isnt' that cartoon with the silver car, and i want to say blue stripes but i'm not sure. sorta a action type cartoon and i'd like to say japanese but i'm not sure about that either. i think i remember speed racer....LOL i know i was born at the wrong time, i'm 15 and i like everything old cars, music, movies, you name it and i like it old, except for the ladies.......LOL

·
Opeler
48 Posts
Always did want one of those ever since we rented one on vacation about 20 yrs ago. Maybe another project I need to look into ignoring.

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
Didn't Speed Racer drive a modified GT? Or was that his brother (secret brother) Racer X?

Scooter was too young to drive.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,839 Posts
I was a little young for Speedracer on the first go-around, but I caught in the late 60s early 70s (missed out on Johnny Socko, too. Nothing quite like childrens shows where people get machinegunned! Kids today are too soft......)

Speed Racer had the Mach 5 which was product of Pops Racer's company (cant' remember the name, probably something simple like "Racer Engineering"). Racer X had the Golden Arrow, I think. Then there was (say it real fast..) "the-GRX.-The-fastest-car-in-the-world". What an episode that was! High speed driving, drugs, and drug induced psychosis. Can you tell it was the 60s?
And who could forget the 'car acrobatic team' or 'the Mammoth Car' (made of gold, you know).

When I drove my white GT, I wanted the personal plates that said 'SPD RCR". But then I saw that plate on a black Supra. Came close to getting 'GRX' for my 200k mile low compression, oxidised silver 74 Manta.

·
299 Posts
i always heard that the eninge in "the- GRX" was modeled after a high horsepower mopar 383 that was made illegal in nascar because it whooped ass

·
Opeler
14 Posts
Awright!! Stop it now!!!

I found some Speed Racer T-shirts in Gadzook's around 8 years ago and bought each version they had. Also have four coffee mugs!!!

At the time I was growing up (5-8yrs old range) my uncle was only 20. He always had some kind of fast car and I was forever like Sparky and Chim Chim trying to sneak in the trunk!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Go Speed Racer ! Go Speed Racer !

The good old days. I had the model car and slot car. A friend of mine collects this kinda stuff. I have late 60's Hot Wheels.

I like the VW buggy. I checked out a place called Bugs & Buggies a couple weeks ago. Lots of new Baja stuff. Hmmm... Wonder if I can fit a 200 HP turbo VW flat 4 in the back of a GT, gas tank in front. It'd have a real trunk for a change. 911 Opel GT.

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
Moderator Quandary

So, this is JUST the kind of thread that drives moderators to drink. And serious Opel readers to change channels. Or worse...

This is not even a BIT Opel related. Yet, we have 14 posts to it. And even a Moderator or two. So here is the question. We (Gary and I) have CLEARLY stated that posts on this site are to be Opel related. Otherwise, the site gets full of non-Opel stuff, and we wander off into the Internet abyss.

Personally, I think you folks need to spend more time on Internet Chat rooms, and less time on Opel sites. And the more I contemplate the question, the clearer the answer gets. But until I decide to exercise the all-powerful rights conferred onto me by Gary, I am interested in a bit of member feedback. Then, I will probably still nuke the thread. Comments?

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
well...............i see where your coming from keith. you and gary set this site up for opels not cartoons. i still think people are always goin to wander off subject once in a while, everybody does in conversations. but still couldnt you have just said, topic is non opel related and got rid of it? he was new tryin to get to know everybody and didnt know how you as a moderator take these things. maybe things like this can also keep people like jau69 from furthur posts that may be usefull to others in the future 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I said, "Hmmm... Wonder if I can fit a 200 HP turbo VW flat 4 in the back of a GT, gas tank in front. It'd have a real trunk for a change. 911 Opel GT."

There's the bit of Opel stuff. I've never seen a rear engine Opel.

And yes. This is frivolous and way off the subject. At least it's better than fighting, name calling and cursing. I've seen fighting on other forums where people are banned for life or suspended. Sometimes people take a hobby too seriously and the fun is ruined.

This is a damn fun site. I think wandering is fine occasionally, but shouldn't be the standard.

Have a great day. I always do. I own an Opel. :D

·
Opel gone bad
108 Posts
new group!

I would say that its cool to see other member's other cars, it gets us all better aquainted. Maybe it should have its own Group? Call it "NOT OPEL RELATED" see how many people hit that group. I think that car is cool, and I liked the pict. But, I understand if you have to nuke it. Lets put a pict of saddam in it first tho!! :D

Attachments

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Re: Moderator Quandary

kwilford said:
So, this is JUST the kind of thread that drives moderators to drink. And serious Opel readers to change channels. Or worse...

I will probably still nuke the thread. Comments?

Why then bother asking us how we feel??? This is a topic under "Open Discussions" and should be allowed to wander as such. I understand that you are concerned about storage, so why not flag these "wandering threads" for deletion after a couple weeks or month or days. And how does the "humor" section fit under the "Opel only" philosophy. I see very little Opel or even automotive related humor in that section

But I am just a newbie, rookie, noob, greenhorn, or (insert rookie synonym here), and this show has been on a lot longer than I have been watching. So at the end of the day, it is your show. Cut.

And feel free to nuke my posts and threads as you see fit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts