Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove a 1970 Opel GT from 1979 to 1989. I am in the process of locating an Opel GT to purchase, after 17 years of living without one. I also have a teenage son, that I would like to introduce to the Opel GT. For both the driving experience and to further educate him on auto mechanics.

I live in the Fond Du Lac area and hear rumors that there is a Milwaukee Opel Club. Do you Exist???????

I would like to meet the group and get caught up on the last 17 years.

Thanks,

·
530 Posts
Hello and welcome! The Greater Milwaukee Opels (GMO) group has an active core group of folks who are dedicated to preserving and improving their Opels while having fun doing so! Our members have GTs and Mantas as well as Kadetts and Asconas. To see what we've been up to, check out the relatively new Great Milwaukee Opels section of the forums on this site as well as look under "Event Photos" in the photo gallery. Some of the event photos also appear in my member gallery as well. We typically gather on Saturday afternoons around noon about once a month to do a project of some kind. It might be replacing ball joints, installing Petronix ignition, replacing a headliner, stipping a parts car, or the like. We often top off our gatherings with a cruise to a local custard stand or burger joint. We would enjoy having you both down to our next gathering, which I think from last time's discussion will be at my place. We're considering attending a car show in Weyauwega on June 10, which would be close to you. OpelerJeff keeps us somewhat organized. I hope we'll be meeting up soon!
-Jeff W.
'75 Manta
'73 Manta

·
Registered
305 Posts
Dittos on the welcome!! As Jeff W. mentioned we are meeting up in your area on June 10th at the 3rd Annual Average Joe Car Show at Evanswood Village Shops on highway 10 between Weyauwega and Freemont. You are most welcomed to join us. We should be up there about 8:30am as judging begins at 9:00am and the show opens to the public right after that. As of now we will have 2 GT's and one Manta to show. :banana:
Additionaly, as Jeff W. is aware we need to finish stripping out his parts Manta and that may take place at the end of May. We will keep you posted on those details. In the meantime feel free to email us or watch here for future updates.

·
530 Posts
Hey Jeff P & GMO folks - add one more Manta to the list of cars going to Weyauwega! I just found out my daughter has to play for graduation, so we'll have to delay leaving for the family vacation out east until Sunday, so I'll be availalbe Saturday. I'm excited!! Are we leaving from your place to travel up together? What time should we be there?

Also, how about May 20th or 27th to get together at my place? I know my family needs to be gone one of those weekends to help with the yard at my in-laws, but I don't know which one. I know Carlisle is the 20th so Pete and Bill would be there. I'll have a better idea of dates on Fri (tomorrow) or Sat and let everyone know. In the meantime, email or reply if you can or cannot be there on the 20th or 27th. It would fun to crank up John's new super destructo saw when we're done!!
-Jeff W
'75 Manta
'73 Manta

·
Registered
305 Posts
manta73wi said:
Hey Jeff P & GMO folks - add one more Manta to the list of cars going to Weyauwega! I just found out my daughter has to play for graduation, so we'll have to delay leaving for the family vacation out east until Sunday, so I'll be availalbe Saturday. I'm excited!! Are we leaving from your place to travel up together? What time should we be there?

Also, how about May 20th or 27th to get together at my place? I know my family needs to be gone one of those weekends to help with the yard at my in-laws, but I don't know which one. I know Carlisle is the 20th so Pete and Bill would be there. I'll have a better idea of dates on Fri (tomorrow) or Sat and let everyone know. In the meantime, email or reply if you can or cannot be there on the 20th or 27th. It would fun to crank up John's new super destructo saw when we're done!!
-Jeff W
'75 Manta
'73 Manta
I thought we would leave from my home in Jackson about 7:30am. The drive should be about an hour or so which will put is in Weyawega about 8:30, just in time to register and be judged. Oh yeah, lunch is FREE for those that register vehicles.:)
Either the 20th or 27th works for me regarding getting together at your house. Let me know what works best for you and gets you out of helping out at your inlaws! :p

·
530 Posts
May 27 works great for us, which is a long weekend to boot! We can gather at my place around 12 noon on Saturday, May 27. We can share our Opel stories new and old and take off anything left of the green 74 Manta. A cruise for custard or whatever can follow. I'll see what I can do to rustle up something to eat for lunch. Address is 11224 N. Vega Avenue in Mequon, just off Hwy 167 which is Mequon Road, about halfway between I-43 to the east and Hwys 41/45 to the west. Any and all Opelers welcome!!
-Jeff W
'75 Manta
'74 Manta parts car (not long for this world...)
'73 Manta

·
Opeler
1 Posts
1970 OPEL GT for Sale

My family is going to be relocating to AZ in the very new future, and my husband has decided we are not moving our OPEL GT. It was a hard decision, but the cost of moving it and the issue of storage in AZ decided for us. This is the 5th OPEL GT we have owned over the years, and I am sure not the last.

It is gold (original paint) and has no through and through rust, only paint surface rust. It does not currently run as my husband was in the process of turning two OPELs into one. He has taken the 1.5L engine from this one and replaced it with the 1.9L from another one that we onwned. OPELGTSOURCE then recommended that he replace the rear end also which he was currently in the process of doing. It is a manual transmission. The interior does need work also. This would be a great project car for any OPEL enthusiast.

We have MANY extra parts (you might need a separate trailer just for them). We live in Beach Park Illinois which is right over the Illinois border on Lake Michigan. My husband is asking $1,800 OBO for the car and all of the parts. Please call (847) 662-1231 if you are interested and he can give you all of the details. Ask for John.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts