Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! After 6 years of hibernation I am reassembly my 73 GT. I bought new kick panels (3 years ago LOL!) but have misplaced some of the hardware. I'm missing three clips and 5 plugs. Unfortunately OGTS is out-of-stock. I want to install the kick plates before putting the dash in. If someone has some extra hardware to sell that would be great or if there is another method for attaching the kick panels I'd like to hear about that. Thanks. Mike

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
706 Posts
Hi! After 6 years of hibernation I am reassembly my 73 GT. I bought new kick panels (3 years ago LOL!) but have misplaced some of the hardware. I'm missing three clips and 5 plugs. Unfortunately OGTS is out-of-stock. I want to install the kick plates before putting the dash in. If someone has some extra hardware to sell that would be great or if there is another method for attaching the kick panels I'd like to hear about that. Thanks. Mike View attachment 436155
I would think that Velcro could be a good choice for securing the panels. Or another option would be to use Weldwood Contact Cement. If you have never used it, you can coat the edge of the unit and then a space to line up with the edge of the unit - wait 15 minutes and put it on and it is on to stay. You can pull it off, with effort, if needed and redo. Considering that this is a part that in all likely hood will not be removed again I looked at it as a permanent fix, but again you can pull it off.. Looking at the picture below you will note that the leading edge of the panel is actually held in by the plastic door molding - Then I glued the bottom with contact cemented into place and the carpet was glued/contact cemented to the panel as that carpet in the original set up was loose and always getting pushed down, never held up and looked bad. When I replaced the ones in my GT I just took the original press board and covered it with 1/2 inch foam using a spray on adhesive and then used the contact cement to hold the vinyl to the back of the press board and then used contact cement to hold it in place. Hope that helps. Worked really well for me. I just recently, a month ago, redid the driver's side door, that is the top part over the chrome strip and it worked really well.

Picture of door panel redo below:

The silver lining is actually peel and seal window flashing which is a thin adhesive rubber that not only adds some sound proofing but also strenghtens the panel and gives the door that solid sound when closing the door. This could also be used on the back of the kick panels too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Will, that seems like a good approach. I'll probably go with the 3M spray adhesive that you spray on both surfaces. Thanks!

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
706 Posts
Let us know how it turns out - pictures are always welcome and any tips that you pick up along the way are always appreciated. I always say why recreate the wheel when someone figures out the best way - that is the way I will go.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts