Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Opeler
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I've seen a lot of variances on the GTs but just ran across a new one I'm not sure is normal. While looking at a spare hood off a parts car I got last summer I noticed it only has one of the large hood latches. Every hood I've seen to now has two of these. This one is supposed to be off a 70 GT. I have two other 70 GTs and both have two latches. There is no evidence at all that the right side one was cut off either as there re no spot weld holes and the original factory paint looks all intact. Anyone else seen this?

Attachments

·
Registered
674 Posts
They aren't part of the latch assembly. Their only function is to supposedly keep the hood from hitting the windshield in case of an accident.

·
Opeler
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was wondering if the early GTs maybe only had one. I already know what the function of it is whereas a safety feature. The hard pins are actually what latches the hood down. I've only had 70s and up, never a 68 or 69 GT. If the early GTs only had one then maybe they went to two sometime early in the 70 production cycle. Anyone know for sure?

·
Opeler
253 Posts
I have a friend with an early 1970 that has only one hood latch. My 1970 is a later edition. I even have 1971 wiring colours, although it has the early transmission and differential. My hood has 2 latches.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,269 Posts
Early GT hoods only had one pair of "crash hooks". 1970 was a crossover year and a lot of '70 GT's have a collage of early and later parts on them.

·
1,752 Posts
I bumped up the BUN numbers thread, there is some discussing of the difference between early and later hoods with photos toward the end of the thread.

·
Opeler
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bumped up the BUN numbers thread, there is some discussing of the difference between early and later hoods with photos toward the end of the thread.
Searched but don't see any hood pictures. Would you please provide a link?

·
1,752 Posts
Mike I am sorry, I went back thru the whole thread and you are correct. I must be thinking of another thread on the differences in the early Gt's. These had less bracing underneath and the one latch. The BUN thread does go into this to some degree. One thing that may be relevant is that bodies were held back in the production process to correct flaws. This hood or body may have been held back from 69.

·
Opeler
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now he's gonna want to sell it for big bucks as a rare option!
:oops::ROFLMAO:
haha but nope, I need to use it on the roadster rebuild. I have two spare stock GT hoods and this one is the best of the two. So probably a held back 69 hood onto a 72 GT! Now I need to get it stripped, epoxy primed and fix any minor dents. Then primed, wet sanded and painted. Geez this is a lot of work!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts