Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
RitchieJ
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a strange case: the engine that came with my used GT has a missing piston rod bearing and clamp on the forth piston. I thought at first that someone, at sometime, had tried to replace a spun bearing, but there is no sign of damage either on the crank or on the piston arm bearing that remains [the other side of the clamp and the bearing are both missing].
What I would like to do is just replace the missing bearing [both halves] and find a used clamp to reattach the arm to the crank. Can/should this be done? I am very competent with most car mechanicals but the internals of the engine are little intimidating to me, i.e. newbie!
Thanks for any help!:veryhappy

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
If you replace the missing part with a random one it needs to "mated" to the rod as you may end up with a hole that is "out of round", most reputable machine shops should be able to do this for you

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
It'll probably be cheaper to find a used rod and have the piston swapped.
But you can replace the rod cap with another and have the rod resized.
Either way the piston will need to be removed.
Resizing/recon the rods involves removing a small amount of metal on the rod cap then
resizing with a power hone until it's in spec.

PS I always check the rods for out of round.

·
RitchieJ
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I will take out the piston and find a shop to hone the cap and rod to match a set of bearings... as long as I can find a spare cap, that is! :confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts