Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In at the deep end with my first post (please be gentle.. ;) )

I'm currently on the hunt for a Monza GSE and need some advice on how to go about some modifications I have planned for it as soon as it's here.
1) Suspension - I would like to 'slam' it as low as possible without causing camber grief (and of course keeping it driveable).
Any ideas on what's available for the Monza (preferably widely available, I'm in the UK)
2) Wheels - what's the biggest size that can be fit under those massive arches??
What offset and PCD are the wheels on the Monza??
3) Interiors - did any of the Monzas come with a black or grey interior?
What about leather?
I think I can fit just about any front seats in, but what about straight replacements for the rear? Senator A? Carlton? Any others?
4) Exhaust - I can pretty much have whatever I want, including manifold and downpipes. Is there an optimum size for the tubing used for these?
I want the car to announce it's presence with a 'rumbling' sound worthy of the 3.0 12V.
Is a 3" bore system too big? what about the bore for the manifold?

There we go... bit of a tall order for my first post, but all help and advice greatly appreciated..

Ian

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
sorry.we can't help you at this site

this site is dedicated to Opels from 68-75 that were imported into the US.

Your car sounds nice.

·
Administrator
10,214 Posts
While our primary focus is on Opels from the early '70's we do have a number of members who have good knowledge of the "newer" models.

Good post Ian. One that interests me as I have a Senator "A" and I know of one Monza here in the US.

I just replaced my exhaust and eliminated the front muffler, going with one muffler at the rear. It does give a nice 'rumble', but it hangs down too low.

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
where to start ok
whats the difference between an essex girl and a washing machine

nhaaaaa too easy
for the ride hight i would not go down more than 2 " as you will get probs then with bigger wheels
and of wheeles the answer is how much can you spend as just about anything on the market will go in there
as for offset just check with your wheel suplyer as they will have a fitment chart for all cars
dont know about colour for seats but im sure ive seen 1 in black velour and 1 in black leather you may get a change out of a senitor but i think they are the same anyway
as for the exhaust you may struggle to find 1 as they were never a large run of cars
dont know if the senitor will be adaptable to fit but has to be a good start
only other choice is to get stock pipe and a bender then weld up a scratch system

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
I have to go with Baz on this one, don't lower the car too much, or the suspension travel and geometry will go 'out to lunch'. I seem to recall from the Opeltuners website that the rear suspension in particular cannot be lowered much without making the handling very bad.....

I suspect that a 3" exhaust may be a bit large, and certainly will have a distinct resonance. I would tend to err on the smaller side, and use 2.5" instead. For a throatier sound, you can install 3" silencers and simply taper the pipes from the main exhaust into and out of the boxes. This will gain some of the noise you crave without damaging the much-needed torque for proper acceleration.

I would also perhaps check with the fellows at Opeltuners again for wheel fitments. I know a few of them race the Monza chassis, and run some fairly wide rims (9.5" if I recall correctly). Best of luck in your endeavors.

Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bucky said:
Your car sounds nice.
I've not bought it yet :confused:

Exhausts aren't a problem as I will have one custom made regardless. I just kinda needed to know optimum sizes...

Seeing as how these are not common cars (even in their Vauxhall Royale Coupe form), I may struggle to find anything 'off the shelf'..... hence my questions here.
Sorry, I didn't realise this was a forum specifically for Opels imported to the US between certain years.....

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
An Opel is an Opel

Don't worry Evil, If it is an Opel (or even a Vauxhall with an Opel motor!) then the site is beginning to expand to cover it! Opelitis is no respector of any particular calender period and can strike anyone. There is huge amounts of info about the 4-cylinder Cam-In-Head engine here and a bit about the smaller 1.1 litre motor. Always interested in another Opel.

I have a 1972 GT AND a 1987 Ascona (that was not imported to North Am.) :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Monza is the 3.0 12V straight 6 ;) .....

But it's not engine info I'm short on, it's more the suspension/interior/wheels thing....

Glad to see the forum is expanding... looks like a decent place tbh..

Ian

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
answer: a washing machine does not follow you around for 2 weeks when you dump your load in it
ian the good thing with the "cam in head" 1.9/that the americans are used too is the engine mods work with the 3 litre as its just a cih with 2 more cylinders
also mods to the rest of the drive train are valid only bit that is not is the rear axil and thats plenty strong for any mods you can do to it
we have a fare few brits on this forum so we can help you if you get the monza (drool drool jealousy) ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
baz said:
we have a fare few brits on this forum so we can help you if you get the monza (drool drool jealousy) ;)
Wicked.... I'll get some pics up when (if??) I get it and then you can comfort yourselves in the knowledge that you've helped me create a monster (i'm no purist.... ;) )

Got one to look at on Tuesday... hope it's a goodun :cool:

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
ian im no pureist either
my gt has had a lotus 2litre, a 2.8 bmw 6pot, a jag 3.4 with a 4speed plus elec overdrive and its in bits at the mo to change to a 5,3 jag V12
just got a little health prob to beat then back to work on stripping the xjs down for the bits
if i can get my good lady to give the go ahead i will do some work on the 12 first but thats for the late summer /autumn(fall for the cousins) youve just got to love an all aluminium v12 with 300 bhp that tunes so well for not to many £££/$$$$$(have to say that shes looking over my shoulder{oh sh*t})

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
avoid them like the plague too many sadmacs bitching about how they never win as the other cars are trailer queens that never turn a wheel in anger
prefer to see cars on the move, will watch lawnmower racing and barstool racing if theres nothing else, may do billing 1 of these years but for now i am having a fight with my health and have to give it my full attention

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Very Nice Pics. But it doesn't look at all like MY monza above and to the left, must be becuase mine was made by Chevrolet in 75. BTW mine has a factory installed 5.7L, TH350, and an Auburn 3:08 posi. :D

Ron

·
2,054 Posts
Chevy Monza? Is that what you've got namba209? I remember seeing one for the first time at Laguna Seca raceway back in the late 70s. It absolutely kicked butt all over the Cameros and Corvettes. Big time! I had no idea what the thing was & had to look it up. Then nothing. What happened? Did they not sell well? Are there any to be had?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Because this is off topic, kinda, I'll make it short, my monza was only available with the 5.7 only in CA for that one year. Two body styles, the 2 + 2 (fastback) and the Town Coupe (notch back), which I have. My monza probably weighs 500 lbs more than the basic car because of all the extra bracing the factory put in the car to keep it from twisting with the 5.7, the original engine was an inline 4. I don't know if they are still around and available used. I found mine in a used car lot. It was sold originally here inSANe DIEGO and I have to original window sticker for it. That's almost short. :rolleyes:

Ron

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ron.... I'm not fussed about off topic when there's 5.7 litres involved!! :D
I love the big Yank motors and if you want to talk about them in this thread, feel free :cool:
One day I will have that Charger/'Cuda/SS/Mach1/GT etc. ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts