Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using an oil pump cover from a 73 engine with about 105k miles to put on an engine that was just rebuilt. I resurfaced the cover using 600 grit and a flat surface just enough to get the old gasket off and flatten the mating surface where the gasket goes. There is some scoring in the cover, not really deep but I don't have a point of reference so I don't know if it's too much. I can also see some wear on the sides of the little piston that relieves pressure. Should I be considering an new pump cover?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
What you want is the cover to be completely smooth. Depth is only a matter of allowing the end of the driven shaft not to bottom out in the round hole. As for the valve there are 4 guides for that part. marks on the sides don't matter but the end radius needs to be correct. I'm working on this issue and have all the parts in front of me.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks.......i guess ill do more "resurfacing". I think the piston is seating properly in the relief valve. I didn't think oil bybassed normally so I was surprised to see evidence of wear on the sides of the piston (indicating it had been moving).

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
One thing I did with this one was to assemble it and then blow through the opening to see if air would pass. I also took a good look at the seat for that piston. Oil should go past that piston at high RPM.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think mine is going to be ok.....I'm going to take it down just a little more to get the grooves out and put it back on. Do you happen to know the torque settings for those six cover bolts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts